How the internet lowers cognitive functions.

Keanumoreira

Okay people, let my specify as it seems I may have given the wrong impression. I'm not saying the internet is a bad place, just if you don't give it more attention then it really needs. As Subject pointed out, and as is true with most things; moderation is a good thing. And yes, most of this implies speculation, but isn't it kinda obvious too? I mean, really, if you stare at a screen all day (assuming you don't read up on anything to jog your brain), do you really believe that's going to stimulate anything? And yes, you can get Alzheimer's and Dementia from lack of cognitive stimulation because that's what starts them in the first place (Dementia leads to Alzheimer's, and if you don't exercise your mind at some point, you have a much greater chance of acquiring them). But I'm not saying that, necessarily, that's what the internet is causing. It all depends on if the internet suits your style of living to the point that it is healthy for you (after all, we might have a career involving one and who am I to really say that you don't live a balanced life?). All I am saying is don't be like me and spend every minute of every hour of every day on this thing, because before I used to do that, I can safely say that the problems I have now weren't present then. Just something to think about.

The article does have some merit... But you're kinda reading it wrong. It isn't to say that all of the internet is making you stupid, it's just saying that some of those elements which are more central around constant messages, reminders, feedback, and stimulation leave those parts of the brain that deal with prolonged focus from being used. This makes neurological sense as I understand it, but has been largely the same mention that people have been saying about TV or other forms of media which "overstimulate" people. And when you really get down to it, many of these things just eat up hours of our day while providing little or no lasting value. Think of it as mental junkfood. If all you're doing is checking some social network site every 5 minutes to see what is being said, you can't really focus on anything else around you. But the internet is so much more than these sites, and if used properly can lead to even longer periods of focus than normal as you are actively engaged in some activity, or watching a lecture, or explaining some idea you have in detail on a blog or forums. Yes, these take time too, but it's generally a more enriching activity and helps prolong focus.

The other side to this is that while people are losing long term contemplation skills, they are becoming better at quick processing of information, and are better at following multiple threads of activity.

Really, what this is about is the growing imbalance in one type of activity being more prevalent than others, and the way that this activity is centered around constant updates and stimulation renders other activities more difficult by design.

I will rephrase my post, as I think I didn't make sense at all even for myself. Just like elvinkun used the quote, I would too.

...half a class of students was allowed to use internet-connected laptops during a lecture, while the other had to keep their computers shut. Those who browsed the web performed much worse...

Well, yeah. They aren't completely focused on the work. Even if they are looking up stuff they need, they are not as concentrated. Don't blame the internet for this, blame the user, or yourself if you are that user. There are lots of things on the internet, useful and not useful. It's up to you whether to waste time on not useful things or do something better than that.

I agree with elvinkun. -

...Really? I mean... really? I wonder if they did study about whether people with headphones and mp3 player running hear others talking better or worse that people without them too.

Thing is, you may either listen to the lecture, or not. Surfing the internet is the easy way to do it, but you migh just as well read a book or draw caricatures of the proffesor in your notebook, the effect will be more or less the same.

Similar to the homework-making problem mentioned before. Yes, when you sit down to make it and have a computer running... it's pretty much like getting a small child, placing it's most beloved toys around and telling it to ignore them and concentreta.

Those are all distractions, someone have the will to ignore them and focus, someone needs to hide them first to not be "tempted", either way, I don't believe computers in general, or internet are more perma-damaging than toys, books or drawing, if you can't read a text without clicking on links, you wouldn't be able to read a book without looking out of the window either.

And the mentioned "mind fog" ... well, if someone spent last 10 years just by sitting and looking on the screen without ever thinking... That is about something else - if one doesn't use brain, it slows down eventually.

Thing is, you may either listen to the lecture, or not. Surfing the internet is the easy way to do it, but you migh just as well read a book or draw caricatures of the proffesor in your notebook, the effect will be more or less the same.

Not really. Studies have shown that doodling can even increase focus and retention to some degree as long as the person is making some effort to pay attention to the lecture or presentation. This is because doodling is part of a kinetic learning process, where the mind uses doodling to ease tensions and other distractions. It's part of the same reason why taking notes helps improve retention even if you never use them or can't read them later.

Using a laptop and browsing the web or sitting on facebook however is a higher demand on attention and thought since you are focusing on two separate things, occasionally switching between the two (just to see if the lecture is interesting yet). I've seen this constantly during recent years in college, mostly among first or second year students. They miss announcements, don't remember what was covered in the previous class (or 15 minutes prior), and usually drop the class after failing a few tests. In some cases even the people who don't ever show up do better since they usually spend effort on their own to keep up to date.

Not really. Studies have shown that doodling can even increase focus and retention to some degree as long as the person is making some effort to pay attention to the lecture or presentation. This is because doodling is part of a kinetic learning process, where the mind uses doodling to ease tensions and other distractions. It's part of the same reason why taking notes helps improve retention even if you never use them or can't read them later.

Using a laptop and browsing the web or sitting on facebook however is a higher demand on attention and thought since you are focusing on two separate things, occasionally switching between the two (just to see if the lecture is interesting yet). I've seen this constantly during recent years in college, mostly among first or second year students. They miss announcements, don't remember what was covered in the previous class (or 15 minutes prior), and usually drop the class after failing a few tests. In some cases even the people who don't ever show up do better since they usually spend effort on their own to keep up to date.

Which is why I said "more or less" and also used a book as an example. Of course, doodling divides attention just a bit in this case, while reading, be it book or a web page, takes almost all focus. Simply because most of people aren't capable of reading and listening at the same moment (considering the text and speech are different). Also note that there is a difference between random scribbles and actuall drawing.

But to simplify it, I'm getting a bit tired of people blaming computers and all things related for great many things, ranging from violence to stupidity. It's never parenting, character flaw, lazyness or actuall stupidity - it always is computer, games or the internet.

I used to be a teacher and it has become obvious during the last decade that kids have a harder time focusing but I don't think we should only blame the internet. TV has probably something to do with that issue. I've noticed first hand that students have a hard time spending more than 15 minutes on the same activity and that's not an isolated case. I don't think visiting your facebook page during lectures really helps either. There are limits to the multitasking and our cognitive abilities can be affected by too much multitasking.

The internet is indeed a tool and it may not make people "stupid" but it does change the way people process data or think. When you have too much information at your disposal you don't "compute" in the same way. Back in the old days academic research was done with books and that involved different methods. Nowadays we have so much information at our disposal that it is very difficult to be really thorough unless we go back to the library and get our hands dirty (so to speak).

The major problem with the internet is that people are not taught how to use it which is rather unfortunate. What is even more disquieting is that many people seem to believe or take for granted what they find on the internet.

This article is interesting but let's not forget that it is meant to be controversial (so don't take everything at face value). At the very least it succeeds in bringing up some interesting questions and that's a very good thing.

After all people can get addicted to the internet and I think the OP definitely has a point. If you feel that the internet is becoming too important in your life or your daily schedule or if you start avoiding real life events to get your internet fix then maybe taking a break isn't such a bad idea.

I will rephrase my post, as I think I didn't make sense at all even for myself. Just like elvinkun used the quote, I would too.

...half a class of students was allowed to use internet-connected laptops during a lecture, while the other had to keep their computers shut. Those who browsed the web performed much worse...

Well, yeah. They aren't completely focused on the work. Even if they are looking up stuff they need, they are not as concentrated. Don't blame the internet for this, blame the user, or yourself if you are that user. There are lots of things on the internet, useful and not useful. It's up to you whether to waste time on not useful things or do something better than that.

I agree with elvinkun. -

...Really? I mean... really? I wonder if they did study about whether people with headphones and mp3 player running hear others talking better or worse that people without them too.

And the mentioned "mind fog" ... well, if someone spent last 10 years just by sitting and looking on the screen without ever thinking... That is about something else - if one doesn't use brain, it slows down eventually.

Yes! That's what I mean. Too much time focused on the computer can distract you from A. The amount of time your brain needs to digest all the new information it has received that day, and B. All of the new information your brain is also missing out on because of that.

In response to your later comment: Again, I'm not really trying to blame the internet here. If I really despised it, then I wouldn't be here right now. As I mentioned before, it all depends on you. It's not really the computer's fault for how you choose to spend your time. All I am saying is that (assuming) it's a beautiful day outside, (more assuming) you have a wonderful family/child(ren), and instead of spending all day on this thing (again, assuming you are the heavy user), you could be somewhere with your family, having the best day ever. Or maybe, the best day ever is here, on the internet with your family, because maybe that's the only way you can connect to them. I'm not saying that over all, the internet is a horrible thing. It's leading to great discoveries and progress for our species', but with progress comes a price, and I just want to get that around.

And from a brain health standpoint, some of the growing problems among children and adults can be linked to diet. Too many processed foods, too many fake foods, too many empty calories. Even following the USDA guidelines you still aren't getting the nutrients that the brain needs to keep top form since many of these are synthetic compounds that the body has a hard time using, or are compounds that aren't really identified but which make certain foods more healthy than others.

So that's how I will respond to the teacher next time they tell me to stop doodling...