The Sunday Discussion - TheModernStoryteller - creator of "The Forgotten City"

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #47156600. #47157725 is also a reply to the same post.

macrocosm144 wrote: Great interview, I was curious about this having just discovered Forgotten City is on SSE, cant wait to install and try it out, it looks awesome. Oh & love the icecream analogy and the George Carlin quote XD

I was also disappointed to see the paid mods thing go down, honestly I couldn't figure what the big hullabaloo was about, over on Steam, hordes of zombies flooded ALL discussion forums and a whole lot of other BS, communist uprising? lol, I dunno... AFAIC if you don't want to buy something, then don't... simple.

Not many people have unlimited time to spare, paid mods may have helped with that. It seems you still got a lot of value out of offering your free mod though, so its not a total loss by any means, albeit unsustainable in the long haul. Anyhow, you'll feel great as sales for your new game fill your creative coffers & nurture your next ventures. Best of luck to you!

One thing ive told a few of my modder friends in other games, if they really want to do an uber epic mod, attempt to work directly with the game developer (if possible) and release as a paid DLC, that sidesteps the biggest problem inherent in communities of all types, the "tyranny of the majority"... strait up democracy is broken, the Greeks showed us that ages ago. lol
TheModernStoryteller wrote: Thanks for the support and advice, Macrocosm!

you're quite welcome man, thanks for adding your awesome mod to the nexus, and for making the SSE version too, SSE is so nice and smooth it should be better than ever. :)

Awesome !!! To be able learn all those skills from scratch, sticking to the schedule for 3yrs .... Hats off to you ! I sincerely hope your game is a grand success !

In response to post #47156600. #47157725, #47161285 are all replies on the same post.

macrocosm144 wrote: Great interview, I was curious about this having just discovered Forgotten City is on SSE, cant wait to install and try it out, it looks awesome. Oh & love the icecream analogy and the George Carlin quote XD

I was also disappointed to see the paid mods thing go down, honestly I couldn't figure what the big hullabaloo was about, over on Steam, hordes of zombies flooded ALL discussion forums and a whole lot of other BS, communist uprising? lol, I dunno... AFAIC if you don't want to buy something, then don't... simple.

Not many people have unlimited time to spare, paid mods may have helped with that. It seems you still got a lot of value out of offering your free mod though, so its not a total loss by any means, albeit unsustainable in the long haul. Anyhow, you'll feel great as sales for your new game fill your creative coffers & nurture your next ventures. Best of luck to you!

One thing ive told a few of my modder friends in other games, if they really want to do an uber epic mod, attempt to work directly with the game developer (if possible) and release as a paid DLC, that sidesteps the biggest problem inherent in communities of all types, the "tyranny of the majority"... strait up democracy is broken, the Greeks showed us that ages ago. lol
macrocosm144 wrote: you're quite welcome man, thanks for adding your awesome mod to the nexus, and for making the SSE version too, SSE is so nice and smooth it should be better than ever. :)

Paid mods? Money destroys art. Creating for monetary gain is necessary for some, but it is also enslaving. When you start paying the bills with money made from your art, the Bean Counters start to own you. Then the ad panderers move in, making you part of the machine, and turning the beauty you've created into a wh*%#. Artists who create solely for the love of creation enrich the world with beauty in its the purest form! Nothing is more valuable than that. I toast and cheer all Nexus hobbyists and enthusiasts!

In response to post #47156600. #47157725, #47161285, #47333820 are all replies on the same post.

macrocosm144 wrote: you're quite welcome man, thanks for adding your awesome mod to the nexus, and for making the SSE version too, SSE is so nice and smooth it should be better than ever. :)
Gefri wrote: Paid mods? Money destroys art. Creating for monetary gain is necessary for some, but it is also enslaving. When you start paying the bills with money made from your art, the Bean Counters start to own you. Then the ad panderers move in, making you part of the machine, and turning the beauty you've created into a wh*%#. Artists who create solely for the love of creation enrich the world with beauty in its the purest form! Nothing is more valuable than that. I toast and cheer all Nexus hobbyists and enthusiasts!

Part of the stink was that more than a few of the mods that tried/wanted to go "pay for", would have been violating the open source licenses they were using for some of the software that was used to create (and within the mods themselves) that don't allow for commercial use under any circumstance.

This on top of the the parts where as soon as Valve attempted it, people were ripping off mods from other sites and submitting them as their own.

To further add insult to injury, you then had certain "master mods" such as SkyUI (and some for the Fallout titles) that attempted to go pay-only, and that would have basically broken the entire modding scene for Skyrim and New Vegas at the very least due to dependency mods all becoming disabled at once since they no longer had access to their master mods and that functionality being removed. This, combined with their idea of charging you for every update of the main mod had people out with the torches and pitchforks.

I honestly don't mind the idea of modders being paid, but the way they attempted to implement the entire thing was foolish and ill-planned.