Suggestion - Cleanup moderator.

TashasOnline

To lay out my thought process simply:

- TESnexus was my go-to for Oblivion mods.

-Skyrimnexus is now my go-to for Skyrim mods.

-Rarely have I ever strayed from either site for mods for their respective games.

I believe that thenexusforums, should appoint a cleanup moderator for the mods sections [the main sections] of each mod page. Or even just the skyrim mods page as that is the one I, and probably 40% of this forum is interested in at the moment.

As normal moderators obviously have the ability to moderate comments/etc in the mods section, I believe the cleanup moderator should be able to edit the mods as cleanly as possible to keep each mods integrity, but to also make installing/using the mod as clear and concise as possible.

Examples:

Example 1: A modder who doesn't speak very good English, but otherwise is very good at explaining his mod, but may need a little help,

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6325

His mod is great [should be under review as he hasn't yet asked for permission to reuse the original creators work but sticking to my point...]

CHANGES the cleanup moderator would likely make on this page:

1: Letting other moderators know of the "not asking original creator for permission" incident.

2: Trying his/her best to translate the broken English to understandable English.

3: If there was no install instructions, adding install instructions.

4: Adding non-opinion based tags, such as female-armor. This is obviously female armor, the whole fair/not fair/overpowered tags are up to the users and not the cleanup moderator.

5: Using a clear layout if the mod creator has not already used one, to explain mod dependencies, permissions for re-use, install/uninstall instructions, title cleanup [grammar/spelling mistakes that were not on-purpose would be fixed] etc.

Obviously this would have to be a person who spends a lot of time on the nexus sites, but is also very trustworthy and UN-biased. They should not change anything that is necessary to the integrity of the mod.

I hope I explained that well, =/ I was just going through the tags and recent mods and was dumb-founded by how many great mods are untagged, and thus, [especially when the CK comes out and mods triple in numbers] I won't find them, and at the mods that were not understandable but otherwise great mods. I think this would also be a help to the community as a whole because of the point-blank use instructions the cleanup moderator would be able to include if it was found to be missing. :]

Thanks for reading all of that, I know it's a wee bit tl;dr.

And if you didn't read it, GTF back up there and read! XD

It's a nice concept, but I'm not sure if mod authors would like their work or words edited.

Myself, I rely on the comments to discern install instructions or translated words.

Point One is the only viable point, but with only that, it's really not worth creating a whole new set of moderators for that... :confused:

The trouble is that you can't 'fix' any part of it if you don't know what is broken. Especially with language barriers. There is a learning curve for each new modder, I don't think moderators should baby-sit them as else they'd never even bother to learn how to do it properly as someone would clean up their mess afterwards. Not all modders use the same way to present install instructions as their level of complexity can vary a lot. Or their opinion how to convey things.

I'm all for more standardisation, but there have been several topics out here in which yours is still decent whereas others directly outraged modders because it'd turn into a dictation on how they should release their mods. The trouble is that there would be a lot of subjectivity involved if a moderator would meddle with each and every mod page that would lead to more 'mod dramas'. What one would call a 'dirty' edit, the modder would call it a part of his current or later updated mod. However unbiased someone is, with the amount of files being released especially after CK got out...it'll lead to much more conflicts than it currently does. Some modders tend to get crazy when you edit things of them :psyduck:.

I can't see Nexus going this route to be honest. Integrity of user created data is very important (their insta-bans for piracy, theft of content from other mods for your mod) and this would basically fly right in the face of it.

Additionally, the moderators on Nexus are volunteers, as this position would likely be. And trying to clean up and standardize the 1000s of mods that will be here? OY! Especially with some using SkyEdit, others that will use the Construction Set. Some people that use SKSE and others that will use DragonScript... This is just a massive job, certainly beyond the ability of even a dozen volunteers.

It's not a bad concept, but I don't think it will ever be a functional one for policy and practicality reasons.

Here is an example of what can happen if we start editing stuff.

Fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

Original copy

And trying to clean up and standardize the 1000s of mods that will be here?

Edited copy

And trying to clean up and standardize the 10,000s of mods that are already here?

:tongue:

Let me put this in a time perspective. The last time I added categories to tesnexus, just tesnexus at the time, it took almost all of my free time for six months to move the files to the new categories, just move no rewrites or anything else.

No it is too time consuming and will cause nothing but hassles for the modders and the staff.

The failures of tone on the internet. I was actually just trying to playfully reinforce the point earlier about trying to determine author 'intent'. It was a perfect example of how ben clearly would have made my post far more accurate (which would be seen as better by the community) but in doing so changed what I meant. Because being tunnel visioned on the game I'm playing right now, Skyrim, that's all I was thinking about.

Hardly a big deal, especially since it is a more accurate and precise edit.