Vault 1080 failing to precombine geometry

SMB92

The reason it renders faster is when you precombine, all of the little meshes become one large mesh. So say you take two rocks and place them together... one slightly inside the other. The system will perform a boolean function, dump the parts of the individual mesh where there is union, and weld the new edges together. So, it makes it a single mesh in the true sense of the word. Not just in the sense that it just shoves a bunch of meshes together, and makes them all render at the same time. I'm not sure, but think that it won't precombine objects that are just positioned close to each other... only objects that touch each other.

I have noticed that the CK does like to pick up extra assets. I made a craftable airplane parts mod, and it always want to add precom data that I have sitting in the folder for some reason. Even though I only duplicate some base objects, and link them to workshop recipes. The CK is a stupid program in a lot of ways. The only thing I can suggest is make sure you remove all assets you don't intend to put in your mod into a separate data folder. I have a Fallout4Data folder on my desktop that I move extra stuff to now when I work on a mod.

You are correct in assuming the system would serve no purpose if you made every item in the game scrappable. The only reason this system even exists is so they can make downtown an open and connected area. That was one of the major complaints I had with Fallout 3. The downtown area was so difficult to navigate that I had to hope for a helpful quest marker, and rely on walkthroughs to effectively navigate it. In less densely decorated areas the system isn't even necessary, but turning the system on an off like that causes other issues.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you mean about the preculling problem at Starlight Drive-in. That is the location of the broken wing of the old structure I think. I'll look at it closer tonight. On a side note. I have discovered that it is compatible with my Cleaner Settlements mod if it is loaded after Cleaner settlements.

So, I have to ask... Where is the archive file for your Starlight patch? I opened the .esp in FO4Edit, and I see the update to the precom, and vis timestamps, but that doesn't do you any good if you don't archive the new files, and pack it with the .esp file.

I think Greek might have assumed he didn't need my esp, and included the just the assets in the mod. I was meaning to ask him about this.

No. he has your esp as an optional file, but it doesn't have the archives in the zip. Just the esp file. That's ok though. I loaded his mod into my CK as the active plugin, and generated the precom and vis data in the mod instead of separately. it's more effiecient that way. I still can't figure out why that preculling is happening though. I have tried everything I can think of. I made sure the objects that were sunk way below the ground were set to initially disabled. I even precombined all 25 cells individually, and generated precombine/vis data for the loaded area at the starlightext cell, and did the same in each of the far corner cells in the loaded area... But nope. There is something about that part of the cell the system freaks out about. I also noticed the same thing happens if you stand too close to the movie screen, and look back towards the main building. I wonder if it might have something to do with the projector light box?

Found your problem, so you want it in picture format?

ÃÂ

OR text ?

Whichever is easier for you :)

Trosski - I prefer to keep my precull data as a "bashed patch" kinda thing. I'm putting Beantown into my patch now actually, bit by bit. i'll be interested to see if any more of this bug occurs aywhere.

Just to add the info here, I just had a "pause" during generation - while I wasn't doing anything. I ran 2 generations, was doing something else on PC during that and it was fine, but then I ran a generation, went outside for a ciggy, came back and it looked frozen (cell view didn't reset like it normally does) - I clicked on it and lo and behold it generated 2 more cells and finished.

I just wanted to add that info here seems this has become a bit of a knowledge bank. It will indeed freeze on occasion like Trosski said. Best to keep an eye on it.

Found out some interesting things this morning, like how to produce the sprint bug again. I'm also running some tests while running the CK at 49 grids (ugrids 7) so I can capture more of an edited area, like the whole of Concord without missing any cells that may need an update. I noticed that at 25 grids, I missed out on a single cell between Concord and Red Rocket which produced occlusion bugs only in that cell, so hopefully with 49 grids I can get the whole lot in one go.Â

Â

Edit: That works wonders. In theory I could edit most of downtown and run the generation over the whole lot. I'll have to investigate whether CKs multithread settings work the same as in game, I notice they're off by default. Rendering speed is the biggest problem with that theory.

IF your done ? I'll drop this, not feeling so good, Go to the Doctors tomorrow.

The first patch I built and sent to you, open it in xedit, insect the data it generated.

The reason it generated that, the vaults was due to the fact the esp was false flagged, not a true master file, read as an esp.

Because of that , it drew upon the masters, the true master files above it.

-----------------

When I converted the target esp to an esm ? it no longer grabbed the vault data.

What can be said about whats going on here is the same "Theories" the UOF4 patch teams base their logic off of.

Some code is not set to hidden as being false flagged.

Due that, what I'm going to show you next is the data causing your issues.

IT's coming from above masters and DLC. I found the objects point blank.

Still trying to wrap some understanding around why the CK is doing this, but have given some things posted here and else where some further thought.

The out come and tests have proven that the plugin you base what your doing "off of" must be a full fledged master file, not an esp extension.

do with it as you wish.

1. https://s26.postimg.org/6vkebva89/culls.jpg
  2. https://s26.postimg.org/xs4dk6t1l/culling_bug.jpg
  3. https://s26.postimg.org/63hqco615/culling_bug_2.jpg

IT has pulled in to the plugin you produced from the master files, data that was set bellow the map or deleted, but it's not so in the master files them selves, so there is invisible data sitting there when your done.

That's very interesting, good find. Goes to show it definitely getting erroneous data from there. On top of that, I have determined that the windows with bars are also not calculated very well by the PreVis generation, now it makes sense that this kind of data would make the problem much worse in that case. This is one the bug that seems I'll have to live with. there is one more bug that I need to understand as well, I'll post a separate thread on that as that one seems to affect eh vanilla game so I might try to draw some more attention that way.

Get well soon Kitty!