DarnUI- Can't get past this screen

Zephyr102

So after upgrading to Win7, Fallout 3 once again runs like it should. Trying to put a few mods back in, but having some odd issues. First up is DarnUI- first thing I notice is the DarnUI logo doesn't show up on the main menu like I remember. Then, after I load up a save and hit ESC, this appears-

http://i.imgur.com/8thEL.png

- and I can't get past it. Whatever I'm supposed to click is off-screen, and hitting Enter (sometimes after tapping various arrow keys) does nothing. I tried upping my screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x960, but I get the same results.

I tried ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated, but it crashes on startup. Is this a side effect? Would unpacking the BSAs help? Or maybe I should pack my mods into BSAs- Ling's Coiffure is packed up like that and works fine.

Will continue to experiment, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DJZephyr

There is a rather extensive read me that comes with the file. I would suggest that you uninstall the mod and follow the installation instructions in the read me. It appears you missed something during the install process.

Also, if your game is doing a CTD with archiveinvalidation invalidated active, there is something else wrong.

Ah yes, RTFM. I could honestly kick myself for not following the advice I am so often tempted to give... Actually, I just let the OMOD handle it this time, and it worked like a charm. Still gotta figure out the ArchiveInvalidation issue, but as I'm currently only using a select few mods, that can wait. Edited by DJZephyr

• 9 months later...

Big scarey, you need to go into your ini file and change the fonts section to

[Fonts]

;sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt

sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt

;sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt

sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt

sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt

;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt

;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_Otl_12.fnt

sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt

sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt

;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt

;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_PetitaMedium_Outline_18.fnt

;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Forgotten_Futurist_Otl_18.fnt

sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt

;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt

sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt

;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Klill_Outline_20.fnt

sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt

That should fix it, fixed it for me anyway.

Had to post again because some strange scripts added themselves to my post.

DJZephyr: How did you make OMOD fix Darnified UI? I have FOMM, how can I make it sort out DarnUI? I have the exact same problem with the gigantic DarnUI window that won't go away.

Also, there is no Pipboy logo in the lower left corner of the game menu and there is no "DUI F3" icon in the right corner, below "QUIT". It simply has not been loaded. I am running the game in FOSE through the F.O.M.M.

Another strange detail, if I go into the game and switch HUD-color to BLUE, it asks me to restart the game. When I enter the game again, the HUD-color is still green! It's like it doesn't remember my settings! It does remember keybindings and savegames, though.

Anyone?

Wow, been a while since I've been on this site, or since I've even played a Beth game. I even have a fresh new laptop, complete with FO3 and Oblivion installs, but I haven't bothered fiddling with mods too much, cuz it's a school machine. After the news about TESO, I came back just to try my hand again at finally finishing the main story (or stories- GOTY editions FTW) of Morrowind, but now I may try to tweak out FO3 again just to try and answer the questions here.

One solution I remember from my last computer is to install FO3 (and Oblivion for that matter) outside the Program Files (x86) directory. I have a few Gamebryo-based Beth games, and they all go in C:/Bethesda Softworks/Game Name Here/. They seem to play nicer with Windows 7 when I do this; think its something to do with UAC, even tho I have it completely switched off.

As for the OMOD thing, it has a button somewhere (been a while, sorry) to turn off Archive Invalidation. Not even gonna get into that right now, but let's just say you DEFINITELY want it off if you want to use any mod with custom content (any mod that isnt just an .esp or .esm, in other words).

Hope this helps. If anyone can be a bit more clear, PLEASE help the above folks out.