Odd fast travel CTD bug.

CaptainPatch

This first started when I was in the Glowing Sea, trying to fast travel to Sanctuary. I thought it had something to do with trying to jump out of the Glowing Sea. But it turns out that trying to fast travel to Sanctuary (from anywhere other than already being IN Sanctuary) causes a CTD. It seems to occur just before I would touch down in Sanctuary.

I have a super-capable rig that far exceeds even Recommended specs, so hardware doesn't seem to be the likely culprit. HOWEVER, I also have @75 mods installed, so there's a potential for a long range (>Level 40) conflict to finally emerge.

Wondering if anyone has ever seen this kind of selective bug before. If so, might there be some simple fixit?

ERRATA -- Further traveling reveals that I cannot fast travel to Red Rocket, but I _can_ fast travel to as close as Abernathy Farm. When I get the next chance I'll see if Vault 111 is also a No Fly Zone.

ADDENDA -- I find I can fast travel to the nearby Ranger Cabin, but can NOT fast travel to Vault 111.

Edited by CaptainPatch

Please post your mod list using spoiler tags. The spoiler tags are in the dropdown menu in the icon third from left on the top row of the posting tools.

Bleah. This will take awhile to type.

K-9 Harness

HN66s SIRIUS 12 Assault Suit

Armorsmith Extended

Jukebox plays Diamon City Radio songs

New Action sound effects

Quieter Generator Sounds

On The Air -- Old Time Radio Shows

Ambient Overture Overhaul

Minuteman Radio Extended

RadioActive

Fallout Suite

Musical Lore

Enhanced Combat Music

JRavens Extra Tracks

Followers Aren't Loot Critics

Companion Bugfixes

Workshop Lightbulb Emittance Fix

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch

Fallout 4 Bug Fixes and Tweaks

Easy Lockpicking

Higher Settlement Budget

Bobblehats FO4 Edition

Simple Intersection

Erotic Paintings

Power Conduits and Pylons

Craftable Animated Water Wells

Stackable Wood Foundations

Good Generators

Craftable Tall Walls

Better Generators

Generators

Snappable Junk Fences

Wooden Prefabs Extended

Dog Bed for Dogmeat

Expanded Settlement Buildings

1x 1 Craftable Foundation Pieces

Craftable Ramps and Rails

Stackable Concrete Foundations

Craftable Elevators

Rags of the Old World

Renovated Furniture

Scrappable Commonwealth

Easy Hacking

Classic V.A.T.S.

Longer Power Lines

Weightless Junk and Other Items

Configurable Power Armor Fusion Core Drain

Loot Detector

Institute Bunker

Lootable Workbenches

Settlement Shipments

Unlimited Settlement Objects

Armor and Weapons Keyword Community Resource

Improved Map with Visible Roads

Better Settlers

Don't Call Me Settler

Vendor caps

Traits and More Perks

Quest -- Prelude To Vault 273

Ransacked Relays and Shuddersome Subways

Vault 1080

50s Doo Wops

More Where That Came From

OLD WORLD RADIO

Enclave X-02 Power Armor

Mo Betta Scrap

Scrap Grinder

Fusion Generator

Ploppable Houses

Craftable Animal Glue

Sanctuary Roof Repair

Scrap That Misc

Wearable Backpacks and Pouches

Homemaker

Scrap dead things

Settlement Management Software

Settlement Supplies Expanded -- SSEX

Settlement Supplies Expanded -- main file

Shakujin's Better Alerts

keyNuker

Value per Weight indicator

Configurable New Dialog

Better Item Sorting

More Bipod And Sniper Barrel

M82a3 AMR

The AK-2047 Standalone Assault Rifle

The M2216 Standalone Assault Rifle

Extended weapon mods

DKS-501 Sniper Rifle

R91 Standalone Assault Rifle

HK G3 Battle Rifle

Desert Eagle -- Standalone Handgun

NOTE -- While I can understand that certain mods may cause Sanctuary to become unreachable via fast travel, I have NEVER built anything at Red Rocket. (Too small for a viable settlement site IMHO.) So I can't fathom why Red Rocket is also a No Fly Zone. Further, whatever initiated the bug didn't occur until quite late in the game, while all of the mods were installed well before <Level 10.

I suspect a mesh or texture has somehow been corrupted in that area and so when you try to go nearby and the game loads the corrupted file it crashes. So it's something that gets loaded even if you're trying to travel nearby to Sanctuary. Have you built anything new in Sanctuary area recently? Anything you've recently built might be a potential culprit. If it was from a mod you can try disabling that mod to see if it helps. I would also suggest you have Steam verify cache to make sure vanilla game files aren't themselves borked. In the early development stages for Creative Clutter I was once testing a mesh that turned out to have problems. I could build it in settlement without issue. But if I left the settlement and tried returning the game crashed immediately on fast traveling in. I fast traveled to Red Rocket, same problem. Vault 111, same problem. I fast traveled to Concord and walked to Sanctuary. The instant I crossed a cell border into Sanctuary, I would crash.

I suspect a mesh or texture has somehow been corrupted in that area and so when you try to go nearby and the game loads the corrupted file it crashes. So it's something that gets loaded even if you're trying to travel nearby to Sanctuary. Have you built anything new in Sanctuary area recently? Anything you've recently built might be a potential culprit. If it was from a mod you can try disabling that mod to see if it helps. I would also suggest you have Steam verify cache to make sure vanilla game files aren't themselves borked. In the early development stages for Creative Clutter I was once testing a mesh that turned out to have problems. I could build it in settlement without issue. But if I left the settlement and tried returning the game crashed immediately on fast traveling in. I fast traveled to Red Rocket, same problem. Vault 111, same problem. I fast traveled to Concord and walked to Sanctuary. The instant I crossed a cell border into Sanctuary, I would crash.

Hmm. Somewhat possible. Not too long ago I built the Decontamination Arch (rad remover), but that never caused problems in previous games.

I don't know if this is noteworthy, but I have always been able to _walk_ into Sanctuary, and then fast travel OUT.

I would have thought that Red Rocket (and Vault 111) was entirely outside of the Sanctuary cell, and therefore would be outside of the CTD crash area of effect.