Troubleshooting hangs

Question2

Alt - Tab + Oblivion = Asking for trouble. The game doesn't do a very good job of relinquishing control back to the operating system, so Alt + Tab is generally not recommended. There are some mods that attempt to make it work more reliably by running the game windowed, but I don't know how successful they are.

- Edit - As chance would have it I ran across one of those Alt + Tab mods while perusing the mod comments section ... Fake Fullscreen Mode Windowed. I would suggest reading through the mod comments before trying (well, that's how I do things anyway).

Edited by Striker879

Then my question is what have you changed since then (e.g. mods added/deleted, Windows/DirectX updates, audio codecs installed, etc.)?

I find that with my old character that has over 1200 hours game time I get fairly frequent exit crashes (maybe 60 or 70% of the time). With my new character that has 250 hours game time I seldom get crashes at exit (maybe 10% of the time). With both characters I've adopted using either save from the Esc menu (old character) or save from the console (new guy). I only load an autosave when I've neglected to save frequently enough and don't want to lose too much progress and I never use quicksave. When I say exit crashes I mean I get the black windowed screen with the Windows error message (I use Win XP).