crash at same time frame

JWill

I have an issue with my game- After a game load, the game waits several seconds, then crashes. I have saved the game in a state where I was hit with 'Drain Magika', and after that effect wears off the game crashes. That could be coincidence, but if I hold the game at the inventory screen there is no crash, so I do not think the crash is time based.

List of things I have tried with my GOTY edition from Steam on Win 7 x64:

• Uninstalled/ Reinstalled the game (backing up save files)
  • OBSE
  • Installed the Unofficial Patch
  • Installed Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System for OBSE

The files used from this site I believe are installed properly. I can also post Win log files if necessary to show the application crash.

by using the consol command to dispellallspells, it forces the game to crash quicker (by that I mean immediatly after executing the command). This forces me to believe that the cause is the wearing off of the spell. Any suggestions?

but if I hold the game at the inventory screen there is no crash

What happens after you've held at the inventory screen (i.e. when you try to resume play)?

but if I hold the game at the inventory screen there is no crash

What happens after you've held at the inventory screen (i.e. when you try to resume play)?

I am able to perform normal inventory activities (and pauses the spell's effect count down). However when I resume play and the magic effect timer runs out, the game crashes.

OK ... that's what had me confused. I got the impression from what your OP says that the timer was running down (which doesn't make sense and now that I reread it I see I was messed up). Do you have a previous save you could revert to?

The other possibility you could try is open the console before the timer times out and 'coc center' (without the quotes). After you hit enter you will be transported to an open plain with some trees visible in the distance. With the console closed open the wait menu and wait for 72 hours plus a bit (three full days and a bit). After you wait then 'coc weye' (or another place if you know the correct name).

Another possibility to try (perhaps before you try the coc trick) is to open the wait menu before the timer runs out and wait for 72 hours plus a bit. It might not work as the coc & wait trick is mostly useful in allowing the games scripts to reset without the player character present (as I presented it above) where just waiting has your character still in the cell in the game world.

Another possibility to try (perhaps before you try the coc trick) is to open the wait menu before the timer runs out and wait for 72 hours plus a bit. It might not work as the coc & wait trick is mostly useful in allowing the games scripts to reset without the player character present (as I presented it above) where just waiting has your character still in the cell in the game world.

This worked to get the game back on track. Thanks a lot! I did have another save, but it was about 6 days and who knows how many quests behind.

Not that it matters now, but what do you think was causing the problem?

Most everything you see in the game that is script driven can get balled up. Once tangled the game needs a chance to 'get a clean start'. When you wait the game has a chance to say "OK, the player is just doing nothing for X number of hours ... when they are done this will be the state of the cell they are in". It can just drop whatever it was calculating before you waited (your magic effect) and get busy with what will be happening when you 'come to' again. The fact that you didn't need to leave the cell is probably due to the balled up script being on the player, as opposed to a script running on something else in the cell the player occupied when things went south.