Is Anyone Else Disappointed About the Companions Quest?

David Brasher

I dunno, I kinda liked being a werewolf, as it had its uses. I can kill people for the DB without incurring bounties.

powerplay vs. roleplay.

Depends if it does not break your role play. For example, role playing as a forest ranger/hunter type, and Hircine is the Prince of the Hunt, being a Werewolf actually could be part of role play.

Of course you can build being a werewolf into roleplay. But his argument was "I don't want to be a werewolf"; yours was "it makes me more powerful". Its the classical powerplayer vs. roleplayer quarrel.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I kinda liked being a werewolf, as it had its uses. I can kill people for the DB without incurring bounties.

powerplay vs. roleplay.

Depends if it does not break your role play. For example, role playing as a forest ranger/hunter type, and Hircine is the Prince of the Hunt, being a Werewolf actually could be part of role play.

Of course you can build being a werewolf into roleplay. But his argument was "I don't want to be a werewolf"; yours was "it makes me more powerful". Its the classical powerplayer vs. roleplayer quarrel.

I never said it made me more powerful. I said it lets me kill towns people without incurring bounties. If you transform into a werewolf in an area where no one sees you and you go into a populated area, the guards won't recognize you and killing people won't add a bounty to you.

Besides, from what I read, it was "I don't want to be forced into becoming a werewolf if I don't want to" then rants about the quest being broken. But fact is, as a spoiler:

The next quests revolve around finding a way to cure the disease, and then curing the rest of the companions,

so I don't really see any other way. Besides being a werewolf through the companion's blessing is not one of those kinds of werewolves where you have no control on when you change, as this one allows complete control since its a ritual conversion, not a contracted disease.

Vampires are evil.

Werewolves are misunderstood.

If you dont like the quest and wanna roleplay then just kill the companions or dont do the quest. Also ive you payed attention to the silver hand youll notice that they torture werewolves to death. Very bad people.

The problem is, from what I understand, that the Cure Lycanthropy quest does not work for everyone and nor can it always be removed by the console. I would prefer that if you decided you did not want to become a werewolf, there could be a quest branch where you had to complete some extra missions in order to proceed with the Companions Main questline, but would still be able to become leader. Werewolf does not suit my play style, my characters do tend to have excellent archery and one handed skills and are no slouches when it comes to combat, but the werewolf powerplay style has never interested me.

I don't understand how people can think that a organization run by werewolfs for generations would let a non werewolf become leader. It goes against both logic and lore.

It is the same silly and illogical argument that people use for the College of Winterhold and the MQ "they should just TELL me everything about the ES and I should never have to join them".

I sit there scratching my head how anyone can believe that a group would just GIVE THEM the information without having first joining them.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

Well from what I gather, since this IS the spoilers forum, not all of the Circle are happy with the fact that they are werewolves, whether it has been that way for generations or not. Since you get asked to help Kodlak cure his lycanthropy, there is no lack of logic whatsoever in a non-lycanthrope becoming leader. It is perfectly in accordance with lore to wish to go to Sovngarde rather than being eternally trapped in Hircine's hunt.

As to your outburst about people complaining about having to join the College of Winterhold to talk about the Elder Scroll, I say this. You didn't have to join the Mages Guild in OB to either get information on the Mythic Dawn or to cure vampirism and could talk to the relevant Mages without being a member. It could quite easily have been done in a similar manner for Skyrim.

Why turn up in this thread and criticise fellow members, as soon as anyone expresses any displeasure at an aspect of the game? If you feel that the game is the way you like it then great, just don't call people silly and illogical just because they disagree with you.

The problem is, from what I understand, that the Cure Lycanthropy quest does not work for everyone and nor can it always be removed by the console. I would prefer that if you decided you did not want to become a werewolf, there could be a quest branch where you had to complete some extra missions in order to proceed with the Companions Main questline, but would still be able to become leader. Werewolf does not suit my play style, my characters do tend to have excellent archery and one handed skills and are no slouches when it comes to combat, but the werewolf powerplay style has never interested me.

The cure lycantrophy quest for Vilkas and Farkas are bugged, but those quests don't have anything to do with curing yourself, since that does not have a quest marker.

Well Koldak is not the leader, and expresses in his journal he doesn't care if the others are Lycans, and Farkas and Vilkas only have doubts AFTER he is cured.

Before the final quest in The Companions quest line, yes it would be breaking lore to have a non-lycan be leader, because most of the "leaders" of The Companions are one and don't question it.

After The Companions questline is over it would make sense because Vilkas and Farkas start questioning it, Skjor is dead, so Aela is the odd one out.

As for the Oblivion Mages guild helping you out I found it illogical that they would so freely give information to someone they don't know and have no idea what they are going to use it for.

They were incompetent and the fact they no longer exist in the time of skyrim shows the folly of their mistakes.

I am glad The college uses more reason then they do.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

You know you could just not become a Werewolf and have a 100% disease resistance...

Your only forced into using it when you first get it after that you could just never ever ever ever ever ever use it. The only thing your missing out on is being a Vampire and if you dont wanna be a werewolf then you sure as hell dont want to be a Vampire.

Another idea is to just not do the quest and stop complaining...If the Companions suit you then werewolf powers will suit you too(you get a lot of diseases in close combat and werewolf form acts like any other melee fighter.) You dont see me complaining about not being able to do the thieves guild quests because I have no thief skills or because it doesnt fit my RP tastes.

Don't get me wrong. I like to kill werewolves. I think they are a neat monster to have in games and movies and things. But I think they are nasty abominations and I have never had any desire to be one. (Why would I want to have a disease that turns me into a big stinky dog with a bad disposition? One that kills people and may not have control over his actions while he is running around being a dog.)

I started out playing the Companions quest thinking it would be like the Morrowind and Oblivion Fighters Guilds. I would go around being a hired thug and getting paid for it. But now it seems like they won't give me any more work unless I get infected with their nasty disease. The questline is broken for me unless I play out of character and become a werewolf. (I don't like werewolves.)

And what is with these Silver Hand people? I have encountered them in dungeons before and they always attack me on sight even though I am not a vampire or werewolf or necromancer or deadra-worshipper or anything wicked like that. It seems like werewolf hunters ought to be great people that I could really get along with. But these are nasty people. They are like bandits or vampires or something. In this game, I have never once been attacked by a werewolf unprovoked. But these awful werewolf hunter people are always trying to kill me. (I am not a werewolf!)

Okay. I am done ranting now. (Fie on Skyrim guilds and factions. Lydia and I are just going to go exploring dungeons.)

Here's the part where the logic breaks down for me in regards to the myriad of complaints against the werewolf quest. Very early on ((first real quest you do for them)) it's made abundantly obvious that the high ranking members are werewolves. this is at a point where your character can't really be argued to have gotten attached to any of the companions as his family and friends. So you could easily bail on the quest, and if you're really a stickler about it. You could tag them all as non essential and murder them thus cleansing the world of this monstrous group.

But if you're RPing a character, one of the important parts of that is dealing with things from their perspective, dealing with the conflicts that arise in their story. If anything the fact that you character wants to be a companion, but doesn't want to be a werewolf enriches his story by giving him a ethical decision. Does he stick to his principles and abandon his newfound comrades, or does he realize the folly of his thinking and join them? that's a course of good RP, If you just had the option of doing what you wanted regardless, then you're just playing a regular PC just like in any other game.

Though if you're really insistant on being a sellsword, bounties are abundantly available in the world at large, and more or less play out like the companion quests do after you complete their storyline. hunt down the local wildlife, and the local trouble makers, and get paid with a fat coin purse. Without having to worry about stocking up on shaving cream and razors.

Edited by formalrevya