Low fps with AMD Radeon HD 6950...

atx711

So yeah. I'm getting very low fps with my 6950... This seems to be skyrim-exclusive problems as all my other games run around 60 fps maxed out.

Vanilla Skyrim, no mods, version 1.0

res 1920 x 1080 with 4x AA

All maxed out

Specs:

XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX Edition 1GB

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2x 2,53 Ghz

750W PSU

Intel DG33BU Motherboard

3GB DDR2-400 Ram

Realtek HD Audio ACL888

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

Skyrim is very cpu-hungry, your core 2 duo wont be enough to max everything out, especially shadows, as skyrim uses the processor to render them. Forget AA and put everything on medium or high and you'll get a decent framerate. Also, get the latest skyrim patch, helps with some problems. What drivers are u using for your GPU? The newest catalyst has a lot of skyrim-specific optimizations.

Catalyst 11.12

Also, like i said, i paid a lot for that graphics card and current performance is terrible. CPU is decent, every single game runs at 60 fps without problems, even crysis 2 and serious sam 3.

I wont be updating Skyrim since it requires me to install that spyware called "Steam" and wont allow me to play offline. I suppose i could just download the pirate patches but that would ruin my game since it's retail version which i dont want to poison with pirate patches...

So far, the only improvement is that inside houses, fps is above 30.. 35 or 40 sometimes

Maybe you should try SkyBoost mod - I have a pretty old (4 years) PC and I'm still running on the highest settings, becouse this mod really increases the fremate.

Maybe you should try SkyBoost mod - I have a pretty old (4 years) PC and I'm still running on the highest settings, becouse this mod really increases the fremate.

Yes, but this requires patching.

I recommend a search for decent Ini settings. Just to put all the sliders right isn't the way it'll work.

I personally use Skyrim Tweaks Complete with some tweaks, like lowering AA to x2.

Lowering the Shadow quality will also have a huge impact on your fps.

I guess you just have to figure out what'll work best for you and maybe make some compromise.

Edit: Btw, your Gpu is fine, i bet it's your Cpu that bottlenecks while running Skyrim.

You should also try another driver. 11.12 isn't the right for gaming, so i read. I'm using the 12.1 preview with a HD 5770 1Gb.

Edited by Dingenskirchen

I have two in crossfire and can't get any FPS over 35. Also, did you buy your copy on dvd? I ask because I am pretty sure anyway you get skyrim it runs on steam. Which would mean unless you pirated it, you would be up to date and forced into using steam in some form or another. But skyrim is last time I checked a steam validated game.

I have two in crossfire and can't get any FPS over 35. Also, did you buy your copy on dvd? I ask because I am pretty sure anyway you get skyrim it runs on steam. Which would mean unless you pirated it, you would be up to date and forced into using steam in some form or another. But skyrim is last time I checked a steam validated game.

I purchased my copy in a store as a disc. It didn't download steam or anything, in fact, I can't update.

*sigh* If only Bethsoft would THINK and do patches NORMALLY.

I purchased my copy in a store as a disc. It didn't download steam or anything, in fact, I can't update.

*sigh* If only Bethsoft would THINK and do patches NORMALLY.

Same here, bought it from a store, but when i saw steam announcement, all my hopes were gone. No more patches for people who DONT want to install that bloody spyware... I'm so glad Valve got hacked.

On the point, I disabled AA and AF in skyrim settings, and it's faster... Is this a driver issue or is it the game? I'm trying to fix this via Ini files and ccc