If you had to raise a sword for a city....

SubjectProphet

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't played much and so far all I've been to are Whiterun, Riverwood, Dawnstar, Riften, Winterhold, and a few others I can't recall.

Basically I'd stick with Whiterun. It's the first major city I came across, has decent climate, looks like plenty of farmland that could be utilized, and its at a prime location in the center of Skyrim. Just need to get them to start rebuilding the outer walls and step up and it should be a nice place to live. The northern cities are full of snow and well... unless they get better in spring then I'd pefer a location with farms and not the constant risk of blizzards or snow wolves or whatnot.

Winterhold has the mages college, I figure it shouldn't be too hard to set up a smaller mage school in Whiterun or the surrounding area. Place for mages to go to that's not way out in the middle of nowhere (I figure focusing on Restoration and various enchantments for the classes should make it more palatable for the local Nords. Even if they don't like weirdo magic then having lots of healers on hand should be nice.)

Riften has a decent economy, mostly the fishing part is what I can see them being good at. But it's got such a bad crime rate (and that one potion seller guy who starts you on the theives guild quest is unkillable! Dammit, the guy walks up to me and practically badgers me into commiting a crime for him, so I put an arrow in his skull and he doesn't even flinch! Arcano in the Mages College at least has the decency to register his injury and collapse to his knee when his hit points hit zero but Brynjolf is just freaking immortal and shrugs off everything! Why isn't this asshat fighting dragons and s***?!).

Anyway, Riften has problems and I don't particularly like the location. If I need fish or lumber I can always get them from other cities. I figure Whiterun could be in a better position if it used its central location to make a trade network or maintain the roads of Skyrim or whatnot.

Whiterun, its so much sicker than the others, plains on one side, mountains on the other and in the middle, a hustling city, full of life

Yeah, thats what I thouught, only other city I feel worth , mentioning is Markarth. Only issue there is the Forsworn, other than that, is a really amazing area that loooks like a lord of the rings set piece. Seems extremely reminecient of Helms Deep, in fact, if you stand at the gates of Markarth and look slightly to the left, you can even imagine 10,000 horses charging down the hill....

Well, I have raised a sword for Whiterun repeatedly, and Balgruuf still won't marry me...Sigh!

You can still sleep with him. Did you know that? Free bed, although you only get the "Rested" bonus and not the "Well-rested" bonus. That's where I sleep in Whiterun until I can afford Breezehome, and I usually make an early-game trip to tag the Lover's Stone, so the rested bonuses don't really apply to me, anyway.

So, what city would I pick? I'm not really certain, since "raising a sword for" doesn't necessarily have the same meaning for me as "live in". I think most of the people responding here are interpreting the question as "In what city would you prefer to live?" I'll try to answer from both perspectives, though, since for me they're different.

What city would I defend in a military engagement? Solitude. I don't particularly like Solitude, although I think its Jarl would make a wonderful High Queen for Skyrim. However, Solitude, because of it's location and the fact that it is probably the major import/export hub of Skyrim, is economically and politically vital to the future of Skyrim.

Where would I rather live? That's the hard one. My current character shares something with me. We both hate cold weather. Personally, I'd never move to anywhere in Skyrim. Give me a nice, little cozy shack in the Blackwood region of Leyawiin County in Cyrodiil.

I have to choose, though, and it can't be based upon my choice of climate. My character's favorite area in Skyrim is, you might guess, the hot springs region, and I think I'm right with her on that. But she hates Riften with a passion so deep-seated that if it weren't for the fact that there are some good, honorable people living there she'd do her best to wipe it from the map. Me, too. So, hang out with the hunters who are soaking in the hot springs, then? That's not a "city", although it is mighty tempting.

I love Riverwood, and it's close to Whiterun, which could conceivably become a trade hub for all of Skyrim. It's sort of like living in the suburbs of a big city and being able to jaunt downtown in an hour or so -- best part of both worlds. So, Riverwood I think it would be, although that wasn't on SubjectProphet's list. Foiled again!

I suppose, then, that I'd have to choose Whiterun. Central location, level-headed Jarl, not the best shopping facilities, but not the worst either, all necessary crafting facilities free for the use, mostly good people, even with the clan conflict going on. Nazeem, of course, would have to be dealt with. I think carving him up would be a good solution. Just remove the arms and legs and turn him over to the Temple of Kynareth for healing. Then put him outside the city walls in a little tent where people could come by once in awhile and feed/water him (if he asks nicely), maybe have someone change his "bucket" once in awhile, and let me remark to him in passing "Hey, I don't see you get to the Cloud District any more."

Hmmm. Good question. What city would I fight for? I think my current Argonian, Jah-Ohn would fight for Whiterun, as he uses it as kind of a trading hub where he can go back and sell off all his goods and get a bed and some company (yes, I socialize with the NPC's, because I'm weird. I seriously will go up to NPC's in the inn and talk to them, or sit and listen to the bard and such. I'm kind of a roleplayer...) at The Bannered Mare.

Me, personally though? I fight for Markarth. In my opinion, it's the most visually impressive of all the cities. I love the high towers, the river running through it, the mine, everything. It's just a very scenic city and I don't think I could stand to see it destroyed. So yeah, my sword goes for Markarth, my character's sword goes for Whiterun (which is also visually pleasing)

Hmmm. Good question. What city would I fight for? I think my current Argonian, Jah-Ohn would fight for Whiterun, as he uses it as kind of a trading hub where he can go back and sell off all his goods and get a bed and some company (yes, I socialize with the NPC's, because I'm weird. I seriously will go up to NPC's in the inn and talk to them, or sit and listen to the bard and such. I'm kind of a roleplayer...) at The Bannered Mare.

Me, personally though? I fight for Markarth. In my opinion, it's the most visually impressive of all the cities. I love the high towers, the river running through it, the mine, everything. It's just a very scenic city and I don't think I could stand to see it destroyed. So yeah, my sword goes for Markarth, my character's sword goes for Whiterun (which is also visually pleasing)

Nothing's wrong with role-playing bro. I love to RP, treat the game like it's irl.

Out of all the cities in Skyrim, which would you fight for?

I'd prefer Riften, good location, quite peaceful during the day, and at night.. well, you choose what happens.

Remember the cities too:

Falkreath

Windhelm

Winterhold

Whiterun

Dawnstar

Riften

Solitude

Morathal

Markarth

Whiterun. The Jarl seems to kinow what he is doing and quite sensibly has nothing to do with the Damn War. Good food and mead, and plenty of it. Prosperous but not full of pretentious social climbers, thieves and vagabonds. Plenty of trade, and trouble makers kept outside the door. A nice blend of respect for traditional Skyrim values and other beliefs. Jarl Balgruuf embraces the benefits that other races and assets like magic offer without sacrificing any core Nord values. All in all a good place to either bring up a family, adventure abroad, fight on commission with honour, or just simply pop down to the local ale house, and buy something for tea or a gift in the market. It is the one rare hold in Skyrim where in spite of the war people can it appears live together and worship who they want to without coming to blows, or falling foul of some prejudicial laws. Roriksted and Riverwood are a couple of well organised and supported outlying villages. While the presence of so much military reminds everyone of the need for discipline and control in such a turbulent nation it all seems to hang pretty well together

The nicest part maybe is the absence of either an Imperial or Stormcloak presence