All of a sudden my saves are disappearing in-game, but still exist in the game files

psychotrip

This literally just started an hour ago. I haven't installed any new mods or fiddled with anything. It seems, all of a sudden, that my autosaves completely vanished. Upon further investigation, I realized that ALL of my new saves were being removed. There seems to be a bizarre pattern behind all this. I can overwrite one save and create one new save, but if I try to create another, or overwrite one, then the previous one will either disappear or the new one just own't show up in my save list.

The weirdest part is that all of my saves are appearing in my documents file as though nothing is wrong. You can see all of the saves that "vanished", including the new ones I've been making but haven't been able to access in game.

I've tried freeing up space, I've tried shutting off steam sync, but nothing seems to work. Has anyone else experienced this bizarre problem? Is there any solution?

Edit: Also, I should note that mod organizer is missing my saves as well. They still appear in my documents file, however.

Edit: And now I can't even start the game without a CTD. What the hell is happening? This has never happened before.

Edited by psychotrip

Perhaps something was corrupted in an update of some sort. I would suggest a clean install https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/906390-cleaning-skyrim-for-fresh-install/

Or at the very least, delete your skyrim.esm, update.esm, DLC.esms from your skyrim/data folder. Then go to your documents and delete your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini. After that, revalidate your game cache through steam options for the game. After that, relaunch the game in the launcher, and then reclean your master files. Hopefully that helps.

Perhaps something was corrupted in an update of some sort. I would suggest a clean install https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/906390-cleaning-skyrim-for-fresh-install/

Or at the very least, delete your skyrim.esm, update.esm, DLC.esms from your skyrim/data folder. Then go to your documents and delete your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini. After that, revalidate your game cache through steam options for the game. After that, relaunch the game in the launcher, and then reclean your master files. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the reply! Turns out I sort of solved the problem. It seemed like an issue with mod organizer where it wasn't reading all of my saves in my document folder (which is odd because I didn't even know mod organizer could control your saves like that). I tried fiddling with the profile options and eventually just manually moved the saves I wanted from my documents folder into the mod organizer folder.

Everything is working fine now, but I have no idea how this happened and how to stop it from happening in the future. Thoughts?

Are you running in administrator mode? Make sure MO isn't installed in Program files

I have mod organizer in my steam folder, which is in program files (x86). I suppose that could be part of the problem? I am running in administrator mode, but does that mean I also have to select "run as administrator" whenever I boot up MO? Thanks for all the help by the way!

If you go into the properties of the Mod organizer.exe there is an option to run it as administrator each time. It could be that because it is in your program files that it is causing issues. Not sure. I know it suggests you don't install it there on the page, and various people have had issues when it is installed there, but I think that's system dependent.

If you go into the properties of the Mod organizer.exe there is an option to run it as administrator each time. It could be that because it is in your program files that it is causing issues. Not sure. I know it suggests you don't install it there on the page, and various people have had issues when it is installed there, but I think that's system dependent.

I'll try that. Thanks!

Edited by psychotrip