valve talking about paid mods again

rkelly

If Bethesda, was to do Player made Dlc. they should do it on a brand new game, Not one that's already out. Furthermore, they should support modding more. By making the game more Moddable, not just to the limits of what players can do with the creation kit. Honestly, all i see paid modding as, is Bethesda releasing more incomplete games. and then making more money by having people fix it for them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bethesda, was to do Player made Dlc. they should do it on a brand new game, Not one that's already out. Furthermore, they should support modding more. By making the game more Moddable, not just to the limits of what players can do with the creation kit. Honestly, all i see paid modding as, is Bethesda releasing more incomplete games. and then making more money by having people fix it for them.

The only real way for Bethesda to support modding more than they already do would basically require them to open-source the game engine.

And the vast majority of mods do not fix the game - they extend it by adding new things or changing how things work.

Though as many know im in dire need of any type of income atm...

I will say this..

ITS WRONG to get paid for mods and totally kills the spirit and idea of modding.

Seriously tell me one guy that wont feel like his modding wont feel like its a JOB if hes getting paid to do it??

Not to mention that the quality and passion of modding go down the toilette since the now "paid author/employee " of the developing company is going to be "pushing" out as much content as possible to make MORE money...

Lets be realistic my friends... Once that cash starts to roll in people tend to get greedy...

Though as many know im in dire need of any type of income atm...

I will say this..

ITS WRONG to get paid for mods and totally kills the spirit and idea of modding.

Seriously tell me one guy that wont feel like his modding wont feel like its a JOB if hes getting paid to do it??

Not to mention that the quality and passion of modding go down the toilette since the now "paid author/employee " of the developing company is going to be "pushing" out as much content as possible to make MORE money...

Lets be realistic my friends... Once that cash starts to roll in people tend to get greedy...

So your basic answer is that no freelance 3D artist, no writer, and no hobbyist should ever get paid for their work. Got it.

And let me be crystal clear: It's arguments like that one above that push me away from modding. The kind of argument that tries to be morally superior, tries to argue from a point of "tradition" or "spirit", and basically tells me I'm a greedy, soulless bastard for even thinking about trying to seek some tiny bit of compensation for the thousands of hours I've devoted to this community over a decade-long modding career.

Edited by Reneer

i think you are confusing what a real modder means...

you are speaking as a PROFESSIONAL not as a HOBBYIST which is the majority of the authors im referring to.

Then please educate me on what a "real modder" is. Tell me exactly how I'm not a "real modder". How my 10 years of creating mods for Bethesda games somehow disqualifies me as a "real modder". How my ability to script things and create mods people said were impossible doesn't qualify me as a "real modder". I await your reply with bated breath.

Edited by Reneer

i think you are confusing what a real modder means...

you are speaking as a PROFESSIONAL not as a HOBBYIST which is the majority of the authors im referring to.

Then please educate me on what a "real modder" is. Tell me exactly how I'm not a "real modder". How my 10 years of creating mods for Bethesda games somehow disqualifies me as a "real modder". How my ability to script things and create mods people said were impossible doesn't qualify me as a "real modder". I await your reply with bated breath.

I see...

So your solution and atittute towards this issue comes down to taking it out on fellow modders...

Btw TRY to understand what i wrote that basically means that your replies make you sound like a professional not a hobbyist..

Point your aggression at the actual target.....not us..

I see...

So your solution and atittute towards this issue comes down to taking it out on fellow modders...

I'm taking things out on other mod authors how, exactly? By having an opinion that's contrary to yours?

Btw TRY to understand what i wrote that basically means that your replies make you sound like a professional not a hobbyist..

Point your aggression at the actual target.....not us..

I'm not "pointing my aggression" at other mod authors in the slightest. I'm merely stating that I think mod authors should have the ability to decide if they want to sell their work or not. That's it. I'm not the one making a moral judgment on other mod authors depending on if they support my position or not.

And whether or not I "sound" like a professional or a hobbyist doesn't matter. I'm a mod author, same as every other mod author.

Edited by Reneer

If Bethesda, was to do Player made Dlc. they should do it on a brand new game, Not one that's already out. Furthermore, they should support modding more. By making the game more Moddable, not just to the limits of what players can do with the creation kit. Honestly, all i see paid modding as, is Bethesda releasing more incomplete games. and then making more money by having people fix it for them.

The only real way for Bethesda to support modding more than they already do would basically require them to open-source the game engine.

And the vast majority of mods do not fix the game - they extend it by adding new things or changing how things work.

When i mean fix the game i mean to add content that should of already been there. That's why i said incomplete games beforehand.

When i mean fix the game i mean to add content that should of already been there. That's why i said incomplete games beforehand.

How do you define content that "should already be there"? Because it sounds like a rather subjective metric to me. Edited by Reneer