SkyNet Is Recruiting

ganp0t

Regardless of potential answer, I agree with James. Not sure for the same reason. Frankly I feel you're underestimating the work, personally. You're talking about a huge modification on top of a huge modification... I've tried balancing online games with netcode already attached (Neverwinter Nights) and even that is a task worth hundreds of man hours of work. This is a game with no netcode and no PvP support and absolutely no balance...

I mean, I wish you luck but I think your team may consider scaling back your intentions. I would sooner run after a stable mod that lets me, say, play over LAN with my girlfriend than an unstable mod that might let me play a very laggy MMO.

Sorry, but it sure will NOT BE TES VI. Ask Bethesda. And even the "screen1e doesn't work.

Not officially, no. But it will take place after the events of Skyrim, remain consistent with Elder Scrolls lore, and expand upon the gameplay found in Elder Scrolls games. SkyNet is going to have roughly 13 full factions (as opposed to Skyrim's 6), feature completely new misc. and named quests, and contain a longer main quest chain than vanilla Skyrim. So in essence, SkyNet is going to be Elder Scrolls 6 (until the real one comes out) in the same way that SW:TOR is KOTOR 3.

As for the screenshot, I have no idea why it wouldn't work, beyond a possible problem with these forums as a whole. The link works perfectly for me.

Not sure why people are having trouble. But here you go. I trimmed out the jumk.

http://empireofterrorism.org/jack/screenshots/2012-01-22_001100.jpg

Besides the whole conflict between projects, I do agree that your goals seem quite lofty.

Are you planning on releasing this modular, such as releasing bits and pieces of it as they are finished?

The only real interest I have in playing Skyrim online is if there was a matchmaking arena to challenge other characters.

I really don't care that much about making it an MMO I just want an arena system to fight in.

Any plans on implementing a feature like this?

I may once the CK is out make a arena system in a city mod I am planning to make but online functionality would be awesome.

So as I understand it Skyrim Online started having problems distributing their source or having their source used in the project formed by the trinity of the three development groups, or...?

I have to admit the fact that you appear to have tried to refund them does mean a lot, more so if you weren't even trying to keep the money to begin with (obviously the comment shown in the screenshot by the last poster wasn't done so in a particularly rational fashion).

Basically, Skyrim Online had problems with SkyNet refining and experimenting with Skyrim Online's code. That was the initial source of the dispute: whether or not being in a partnership entitled us to use and improve their code. We said yes, they said no. Everything kinda fell apart after that.

mmm.. how do you aproach level scaling/ changed areas/Npcs/quests and the like? Does someone completely f*** everyone else over doing the civil war?

Currently, our plan is to have a static level for npcs and creatures in the open world areas, and have level scaling in dungeons. Dungeons will be instanced, but nothing else will be. When multiple people are fighting together in a dungeon, we plan (if possible) to scale the enemies to both players' levels simultaneously. What this means is, a level 5 player will do damage to a creature as if it was level 5, while a level 40 character will do damage as if the creature was level 40. In this way, characters of different levels can quest together easily.

As for the civil war in Skyrim, neither side actually won. Here is our timeline (go easy on it, it is the first draft and isn't finished yet ;) .) To make a long story short, the Altmeri Dominion invaded Skyrim before either side could win, began to dominate against both sides, and prompted the Stormcloaks to ally with the Empire. But, just like in vanilla Skyrim, the war will not be the major storyline. The real plot is still a secret :D .

If you guys are having this much trouble this early on then the whole entire project has problems. However, I only wish all of the projects the best of luck.

Other than the dispute with Skyrim Online, we haven't had much trouble at all. (Well, I've heard that Tytanis is having some personal problems, but hopefully those will be resolved shortly.) Of course, that isn't to say everything will always go smoothly, but there's really no predicting things like that.

Not sure why people are having trouble. But here you go. I trimmed out the jumk.

http://empireofterrorism.org/jack/screenshots/2012-01-22_001100.jpg

Thank you very much. I'm embarrassed to say that I am useless at photo editing :( .

Besides the whole conflict between projects, I do agree that your goals seem quite lofty.

Are you planning on releasing this modular, such as releasing bits and pieces of it as they are finished?

The only real interest I have in playing Skyrim online is if there was a matchmaking arena to challenge other characters.

I really don't care that much about making it an MMO I just want an arena system to fight in.

Any plans on implementing a feature like this?

I may once the CK is out make a arena system in a city mod I am planning to make but online functionality would be awesome.

I agree, our goals are extremely high. We probably won't be able to implement everything as well as we planned to, but that's life I suppose ;D . Obviously, the amount of time required to complete the mod will be heavily influenced by the power of the CK. But I estimate (loosely, mind you) that it will take at least 8 or 9 months.

We will be developing the mod in stages (Alpha, Beta, Full Release). I'm not sure, but I suspect that we will not be releasing the mod to the public until either the late beta or full release stage. As to whether we will release expansions to the mod once it is completely finished, we have left the option open but it will ultimately depend on a variety of factors.

I'm happy to tell you that SkyNet will (if everything goes according to plan) contain a fully-featured arena system. It will contain matchmaking, a record tracking system, and a variety of map types and modes. To help differentiate arena matches from standard world pvp, we will do everything we can to ensure a totally skill based fight. That means everyone will be the same level, with the same equipment, and no one can use Shouts. I expect this will be one of the most popular features of the mod.

How much of tamriel does SkyNet intend to reproduce? Do you intend to only focus on Skyrim, or do you intend to eventually cover all of Tamriel? Have you even gotten this far in the planning?

At first, we will only redo the lands of Skyrim. That alone should take us a long time. After that, who knows. It the mod is well-received, and we have the time and people to do more areas, we might do expansions way down the road.