Upgrading PC for modding - Advice about CPU

Evening everyone. Last year I started modding Skyrim and I quickly realized my PC was really too weak to hold the modded game correctly (15-20 fps for what I was hoping). Today I'm about to push it to 16Gb RAM and replace my old GPU by a 980 Ti or maybe a 1070. I just read today that CPU can also be important in modding, and I wasn't planning to upgrade it yet. The one I have at the moment is an i7-2600K @ 3.4Ghz (not OC). My question is do you think, with your experience, if my actual CPU will hold the modded game after my PC upgrade, or is it also too weak ? If so, I'll probably consider buying a lesser GPU and look for a better CPU. Thanks a lot in advance for your advices =)

A 2600k will most likely bottleneck a 1070 but not so much that it wouldn't be an upgrade. A radeon RX480 would be a nice upgrade.

The core i7 3770k would be the only cpu upgrade on your current motherboard and it would be a giant waste of money.

An overclock to at least 4Ghz should extend the life of your CPU, you would need a p67 or z68 motherboard to overclock though.

Your CPU should be fine. Any bottlenecks your CPU provides will be likely be very small and not really worth the upgrade. Though, gaming at 1440p should eliminate any chance of a bottleneck with the GTX 1070 and your CPU due to the strain that resolution would put on your GPU. If there is a bottleneck for a particular game then the higher resolution should compensate for it and effectively remove said bottleneck. You could probably use Nvidia DSR to supersample your games in 1440p if you don't have a 1440p monitor.

Hi

I use my i7 2600k with a GTX 1080 & play at 3440 X 1440. Bottle necking is not an issue at higher resolutions.

The down side to modded games is that any CPU frame rate drops are more severe than with a modern i7 (6700k 7700k).

I decided not to replace i7 2600k rig, but build another rig based on the i7 6700k. Even with the much faster ram & much more sophisticated motherboard the new rig is only about 8% faster when it has the same graphic card in.

Not much of a gain in 5 years.

Later