Creeping - Crawling - Climbing

Plankbreaker

Maybe a preliminary version of this could be like COD, where you hit space to mount obstacles, but nothing so lame as a wall covered with vines.Also, some wallruns would be great to see :P

As it is, Creation Engine seems to be extremely... shallow. I think I've said this before. Honestly, I think that Skyrim is a good game, and the storylines, while sadly short and.... restrictive :psyduck: are good. However, it is really hard to get into a game when you can run forward into the wall and you just slide.

So, here's my idea...PROTOTYPE!

You're the Dovahkiin, and I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to wallrun and flip off. Also, what's up with the physical interaction. It's not much better than Minecraft, where the only thing that happens to other people is a mild stagger when you sprint into them. Other than that, everyone's in their own little box with their set parameters. In prototype, if you walked into someone, you would just shove them to the side. If you sprinted past them, you'd send them flying into the wall. Not that they're the same engines with the same abilities, but I honestly think that Prototype's movement mechanics should be the model for modders(That's a pun, right?). :D

Now that - that I can agree on. If you sprint into somebody full-speed you're going to send them reeling or put them flat on their ass. Especially if you're a heavily armored sword-singing Nord who likes to wear iron ingots for decoration. Hell, just being able to sprint into someone would be great for a thief like me, because I've been cornered before and being able to do that would have gotten me out of a tight situation.

I especially need a climbing mod, as a thief. There are places I would like to get to, vantage points, shortcuts, walls and fences I need to get over in a moment's notice. Since I don't fight, haste is often my best weapon and I use it lavishly and climbing would be a godsend. When the CK comes out, I urge someone to work on it. P-Froggy's code might be a good starting point.

Yeah. Do you have any idea how hard it is to archer kill... when you have to be on the ground everywhere except solitude and Markarth? Unless you're awesome like me and know how to get on top of the Hall of the Dead in Whiterun. Anyone who had Lynge's thieve's highway for Oblivion(or has played assassins creed) will know what I'm referencing here. For the nubz, it's a...highway on the roof? This would be really nice... and it's not that hard to make. Add a ladder(we don't have those, do we? Lol.) Lynge made it a doorway that led to the roof at the top of the ladder. Simple doorway leading to a different location in the same cell, with plausible walkways leading to other rooftops. And trapdoors. :D

Also, I think Skyrim definitely needs more killmoves. I think a nice addition to this mod would be killmoves that have you jumping down from high locations. :D

Edited by RbtRvltin

Does the game engine have any way if doing visible ground targeting? Like having a glowing ring that you can move with the cursor or arrow keys that can be the target location for a spell? Because if this could follow up steep surfaces like mountains or buildings where it could be placed on a roof, then there could be a teleport spell that could be made to port you to the targets location.

Could be a novice level spell for thieves in the illusion tree and you could avoid the troubles of getting climbing to work. But my idea here probably isn't possible with the game engine either.

Leap of faith like in morrrowind would be nice-ish... my main problem is that casting spells makes you noticed. Grr. It is stupid there is no perk for this, so I'm making it once the CK comes out :D and I will try to make a leaping or close-range teleport spell for yall. :D

Interesting ideas, most of them are good, the prototype thing a bit far-fetched and the doorway to high vantage points would not be great, due to the downside that enemy npcs can also get to you.

Me being relatively new to modding and still learning the basics, i would not be able to do this, but RbtRvltin, you could, of course youd need help, a mod of this proportion would also need a person gifted in the art of scripting and 'stretching' some of the skyrims core params. :ninja:

Basically, it will take bone-breaking time and tiring trial and error for the success of a mod such as this, i have full confidence someone will be up to the challenge. :thumbsup:

Edited by Plankbreaker

Leap of faith like in morrrowind would be nice-ish... my main problem is that casting spells makes you noticed. Grr. It is stupid there is no perk for this, so I'm making it once the CK comes out :D and I will try to make a leaping or close-range teleport spell for yall. :D

Illusion has a silent cast perk.

I heartily endorse any way to add climbing. Oblivion's Better Cities had roof top areas you could get to, especially the Imperial City. And they set up ropes that could be used as 'doors' to get up there. But an Assassin's Creed-style climbing mod would be an excellent addition. And some way to climb steep terrain. I'm thinking use the path-following stuff NPCs use. For steep terrain and walls, add another type of path that only the player can use.

I'm not much of a modder however. My modding has been limited to fixing the weight of weapons that modders have added. (Glamdring should only be 3 1/2 -4 pounds not 15)

Will never happened (not properly anyway) until Bethesda changes the technology and tools it uses to make games. The new engine is still Gamebryo at heart, which means pretty environments but weird movement. I once interviewed Bethesda and I asked them about why they loved the Gamebryo engine so much. You can read the interview here. Long story short: they loved it cause it worked well with the editor. They would have to overhaul the editor to make parkouring work in future games.

Trick is, if they implemented an edge detecting mechanism, it'd be easy to do, scripted or hardcoded. We might see a SKSE (does anyone else pronounce that "scuzzy?") plugin in the future that can help with it.

The problem is, though, that with what Bethesda gave us, it's probably not going to be easy to do without fancy script trickery. Meaning at best we'd get climbing but no animations (see P-Froggy's Wall Climbing) or non-controlled climbing such as activators that play animations. Either are good options, but to really do either it's a lot of work. The former, it's a lot of fancy scripting and heaps of effort, and the latter still heaps of effort mostly on the part of animators. The latter also poses problems of fluidity - sometimes animations don't play instantly like they should, and have a second or two of delay which could really kill immersion.

It's really impossible to speculate on it, though, until the CK is our hands and we can see what their newest version of Gamebryo can do.

Trick is, if they implemented an edge detecting mechanism, it'd be easy to do, scripted or hardcoded. We might see a SKSE (does anyone else pronounce that "scuzzy?") plugin in the future that can help with it.

I always pronounce it scuzzy. And I acknowledge that Gamebryo and Creation are both.. not great for physics or any of that. However, I think that with all the amazing mods we've seen so far, even without the CK(Just look at Shawkab's stuff... fully featured basement? :O) that the mods coming out will surpass most people's expectations. However, I do think this one will be a bit...problematic. As it is, after AC and Prototype, nobody wants to re-enact Zelda. I think one major renovation needs to be the jumping system. All you do, seriously, is... like... levitate? You just pop up into the air. Jumping is good for absolutely nothing. There's no need for it, except now that CHBSHSBHBSSBSHBSS(whatever) is out. Think about it. When do you jump? Now, when do you need to? The only thing it's used for is getting over 2-foot high fences. It needs to be more dynamic and obstacle-based. Just sayin :/