A cup of coffee, couple of hairs and a big question...

MacKom

Hello, folk of Skyrim Nexus. It is I - Mac Kom.

No idea who I am?

Yea...was kinda a long shot anyways...

So, here`s the thing. A very long, long time ago I myself was a mod maker. Albeit, for another game (The Sims 1 & 2), but those were the good times all the same. So, yesterday I popped in a CD containing some of my old works, and I realized that the stuff might not look that bad ported to Skyrim. Plus, a refreshment is always welcome, no? So, I extracted the files, rearranged the textures a bit and had a second look. Have a look yourselves!

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x443/PxelSlayer/hair1.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x443/PxelSlayer/hair2.jpg

Neat, huh?

Now, this is where I`ve hit the wall and need some help. It`s been years since I`ve opened a 3D moddeling program. And the only one I used was Milk Shape. 3DSMax and Blender are complete strangers to me. Plus, Skyrim is my first TES game I`ve played, so .nif and .esm and .esp files are...well, quite confusing for me.

will do my best to get a handle on all of this, but for now - I really could use a help of someone patient, altruistic and dear enough to port these babies in to Skyrim. I`ll fix and rearrange all .obj files, I`ll re-do the textures, the whole shabang - I just need someone who has some idea what he or she is doing to make these stand alone additions to the game.

Yes, it`s tech stuff.

Yes, I know it`s boring.

Yes, I know that eventually I`ll have to learn to do it myself.

And yes - I know they`ll look great in game. I`ll use all the magic I have on my end to ensure so. ;) Plus, shared credit, glory and fame sound ok, no?

(well, maybe not glory and fame, I doubt we`ll get that, but credit...yup. Definitely).

So, long story short - will the right port master please stand up?

And please, leave your curved swords at the entry.

Thank you.

I do hope so too. The texture on the first one was made by another mod maker (and she did an awesome job <3), the second one is mine. However, I have picked up quite a bit about making textures myself since then, and I`m quite sure the results won`t be disappointing. I`ll do my best. ;)

There is a third one, quite lore-friendly in the works right now (very nord-looking, if I may add), and once it`s done I`ll post some pictures. I`m throwing all the baits I have here. :P

Porter, oh porter, where art thou....

@DeathVest - thanks for the link, m8, appreciate it ;) Thing is, learning about about BSA files is just a tip of the iceberg for me. I have a VERY slow learning curve when it comes to this and it would, literally, take me months to do it. And yes, I will do it, I will learn it all eventually, but ATM I would like to find a "partner in crime" to release these. Yup, you guessed it, I`m quite impatient as well. *sigh*

Most tutorials cover creating armor, weapons and stuff like that. I imagine the process for hair is pretty much the same, but there are bound to be some slight differences in steps and things to look out for. And as we all know, it`s those exact small things that end up blowing your vertices, causing CTDs and BSODs and killing puppies...O______________________________________o

If you are lucky you might find someone who will do this, but your best bet is to learn it yourself.

If you check the stickied tutorial section of this forum, you will see a lot of good tutorials for import and export for both blender and 3ds max.

And of course nifskope.

the import/export part don't take long to learn.

Troubleshooting takes a little longer, but what you want to do is import a vanilla hair mesh into a 3dsmax or blender, then your custom mesh and use the bones from the vanilla hair. and assign it to the appropiate vertex groups.

I got a post with most of the bsdismembermentskininstance partition that you can use when you have learned from the other tutorials. clickey]

Hope it helps!

Sk8on