Why is my armor invisible?

kromey

Short version: I'm trying to make a standalone, beefed-up version of glass armor -- basically the looks of glass armor with the stats of dragonscale, so that I don't have to trade off looks for efficacy.

The problem I'm coming up against is two-fold: The armor, which I succeeded in adding to the game, is invisible when I put it on; additionally, it doesn't have the appropriate stats -- its armor value is lower than that of the default glass armor!

I made the armor using TESVSnip; I simply copied the stock glass armor (and tweaked the ID, of course), changed the name ("Advanced Glass Armor", which got into the game just fine), and then changed the DR value to match its dragonscale counterpart. So the cuirass, for example, has the value 4100, same as dragonscale. I also changed the Form ID so that I have something unique in the editor to refer to it (that is just an internal value, isn't it?); I didn't change anything else, though.

In-game, the displayed armor value for my character (Light Armor skill of 100, plus a few perks; Heavy Armor 15 or 16) is 58; glass shows up as 70-something, and dragonscale as 80-something. So, obviously it's picking up skills, but not the full value? Or not picking up my perks? What's going on? Did I neglect to make some change somewhere pick up all the relevant skills and perks?

The other problem is that when I put on this armor, well, my character instead gets naked! The stats get added up (correctly, so far as I can tell), but my character looks naked! I'm just trying to use the stock meshes/textures (for now, at least), so I figured I didn't have to make any changes to the model entries. Was I wrong? Is there something I need to change?

I've looked at some other mods using TESVSnip as well, and I don't see them doing anything I'm not doing, but this is my first mod (well, not counting making a minor tweak to one) so I wouldn't be surprised if I did overlook something.

None of the recipes I added are showing up either, but I'll deal with that later (and in another thread), especially since I'm trying to do something a bit unusual with them anyway.

Thanks, Sunnie. I was already on my way to trying that (had to figure out why it was giving me a missing DLL error first, which was the reason I didn't use it in the first place); once I got SkyEdit running and futzed around enough to figure out how to clone items into a new file and then tweak them, everything came together real quick and easy, and I got exactly what I wanted right away (well, still need to tweak item values -- armor that protects as well as dragonscale but only weighs as much as glass should be more expensive than either).

Still curious what I did wrong with TESVSnip -- this seems like exactly the kind of simple mod that TESVSnip should be good for!