Saves becoming corrupt

NocturneNight

For no apparent reason my saved games become corrupt at regular intervals and I can't load them. Right now, I was about to start playing again only to find that my 4 most recent saves (at least) are unloadable with instant CTD when I try to load them. Naturally I'm wondering what could be causing this and how to solve it. Thank you.

Well, you're going to have to give us more information.

This is my current mod list:

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm [CRC: 2FF840C5]
01  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm  [Version 4.5bSI] [CRC: 8ACB2622]
**  Beautiful_Women_Revised.esp [CRC: BCE07D4A]
**  Beautiful_Women_Revised_DB.esp [CRC: 6EFFAE8F]
02  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.3.7] [CRC: 6AB8F177]
03  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp [CRC: 01B694D9]
04  DLCShiveringIsles.esp [CRC: 2BB84977]
05  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.4.4] [CRC: F6C1D21D]
06  GuildOwnership1.2.esp [CRC: A749FDFE]
07  Personality Idles - Modified version.esp  [Version 1.3] [CRC: D87BAB45]
08  P1DseeYouSleep.esp [CRC: 41C990C4]
09  Enhanced Economy.esp  [Version 5.4.3] [CRC: 67026148]
0A  DarNifiedUI Config Addon.esp [CRC: 6F14751D]
0B  [Hexaae] Get Wet v0.92.esp  [Version 0.92] [CRC: 91C9F29B]
0C  Map Marker Overhaul.esp  [Version 3.9] [CRC: 8F9FE685]
0D  Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp  [Version 3.5] [CRC: 2B08755B]
**  EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer.esp [CRC: 02EC9CA3]
**  HGEC_special_armor_repl.esp [CRC: E4A02928]
++  doofdillas_potions_recolored_sorted_v0_3_1.esp  [Version 0.3.1] [CRC: 9ED6DDBD]
0E  Neck Seam Concealers Expanded.esp  [Version 1.00] [CRC: DF4CE6E1]
0F  Neck Seam Concealers Expanded DD.esp  [Version 1.00] [CRC: DBB7BA8D]
10  DMRA Stock Clothing Skimpy.esp [CRC: CD2A8A65]
11  DMRA Stock Robe Replacer.esp [CRC: C79A9EE0]
12  Francesco's More Wilderness Life.esp [CRC: 8776077E]
13  Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp [CRC: 36DF7A6E]
14  Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp [CRC: 409F8FB2]
15  OOO-Armor_Perks_WearRate_Repair.esp  [Version 1.33] [CRC: 09CB6B84]
16  OOO-Deadly_Combat.esp  [Version 1.33] [CRC: 8B51CA66]
17  Harvest [Flora].esp  [Version 3.0.0] [CRC: FA700811]
++  Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp  [Version 3.0.0] [CRC: 05003A29]
18  Leviathan Soulgems.esp [CRC: DF3D1184]
19  Potable Pastiche.esp [CRC: 186BFFAA]
1A  Sexdarkness.esp [CRC: 738A42FC]
1B  spelliconreplace.esp [CRC: 365D2B59]
1C  SetBody.esp [CRC: FC5314E6]
1D  CTAddPose_osr1.esp [CRC: B88F2E4C]
1E  CTAddPose_osr2.esp [CRC: 7E5D102B]
1F  CTAddPose_osr3.esp [CRC: D343B7DE]
20  CTAddPose_OTpair2.esp [CRC: 2ABFF8B3]
21  CTAddPose_Gaff_01.esp [CRC: 4C8A26CA]
22  CTAddPose_Gaff_02.esp [CRC: BC17214C]
23  CTAddPose_SPB_01.esp [CRC: A0F912F9]
24  CTAddPose SPB 02.esp [CRC: 089D6A8B]
25  ActorsInEmotions.esp [CRC: 30E4D01E]
26  zzEstrus.esp [CRC: F284332E]
**  Let There Be Darkness - Cyrodiil + SI.esp [CRC: 87A8497C]
27  _Ren_BeautyPack_onlyhairs.esp [CRC: 921473E5]
28  Elves Of Lineage II.esp [CRC: 01F5A08B]
++  EVE_KhajiitFix.esp [CRC: 2FA07B05]
++  Faction Rank Fix.esp [CRC: 23866257]
29  LEs_Lethal_Traps.esp [CRC: D64FAA73]
2A  DangerousTrespassing.esp [CRC: 6F09E31E]
2B  CTAddPose_Halo.esp [CRC: 806E8221]
2C  Nocturne's Balance Mod.esp [CRC: 335DB958]
2D  Bashed Patch, 0.esp [CRC: FBF988C1]
++  Hart's Boners.esp [CRC: 2AD879A8]

I'm not sure what other information you want me to provide. My character is a Vampire and it seems that the game becomes more unstable if I save while she is taking Sun damage; however I had the same problem on my previous character that was NOT a vampire. At the time I thought it was because of my faulty memory module, but that has since been replaced.

Do you use quicksave? After I found out that quicksave is a known corrupter of save files I started using only save from the Esc menu or the save command from the console. I wasn't getting corrupted saves so much as frequent CTD. It took a while but those same saves are what I was loading to continue my old character, who is now well over 1200 hours (and this all happened back around 400 or 500 hours).

Do you use quicksave? After I found out that quicksave is a known corrupter of save files I started using only save from the Esc menu or the save command from the console. I wasn't getting corrupted saves so much as frequent CTD. It took a while but those same saves are what I was loading to continue my old character, who is now well over 1200 hours (and this all happened back around 400 or 500 hours).

I do, but I also save manually a lot - when you get as many corrupted saves as I do, you sorta get used to saving a lot. :P Are you saying that quicksaving can mess up an otherwise manually saved game? Hmm maybe I should try playing without quicksaving and see if that helps; but quicksaving is invaluable for keeping me alive at times... but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

If your manual saves are made on progress that started with a quicksave then yes. Your saves are just another layer of 'changes' to the default original state of the game (kinda' like an esp is changes to the state of the esm it depends on). In my own game it took a while of using only manual or console saves before I gained stability. My theory is I had to wait until the unstable parts of the save got buried by more relevant data from newer saves (eventually the game must mostly ignore old stuff ... sure you exited the sewers and then killed that crab, but heck, you're the Champion of Cyrodiil now). Instead of having a 'quicksave twitch' you need to develop a 'healing spell twitch' (or have healing potions hot-keyed). I mapped the 'Back' button on my mouse to cast spells along with the default 'c' key ... has saved my butt many a time.

If your manual saves are made on progress that started with a quicksave then yes. Your saves are just another layer of 'changes' to the default original state of the game (kinda' like an esp is changes to the state of the esm it depends on). In my own game it took a while of using only manual or console saves before I gained stability. My theory is I had to wait until the unstable parts of the save got buried by more relevant data from newer saves (eventually the game must mostly ignore old stuff ... sure you exited the sewers and then killed that crab, but heck, you're the Champion of Cyrodiil now). Instead of having a 'quicksave twitch' you need to develop a 'healing spell twitch' (or have healing potions hot-keyed). I mapped the 'Back' button on my mouse to cast spells along with the default 'c' key ... has saved my butt many a time.

Interesting, thank you.

Well, when my stealth-based character accidently aggroes a room full of Mauraders, I'm in trouble. BIG trouble, that a healing spell or potion wont really fix. :P In those situations I typically reload a save and try again. But I tried playing last night without quicksaving and I have not experienced any CTDs yet (knock on wood)! This may very well have been the cause...

Ah ha!

26 zzEstrus.esp [CRC: F284332E]

I have unconfirmed, but very strong, anecdotal evidence that Estrus corrupts Savegames.

Turn it off, load an uncorrupted save, and see what happens

...or this. Thank you guys; if I start getting corrupted saves again without using quicksaves I will try deactivation this and see what happens. Thanks a lot!

Another thing I avoid is reloading a previous save without exiting to the desktop (based on something I read, but not widely known as the quicksave thing). I know in your case it may not always be the preferred path, but another thing to keep in mind and in your toolbox.