Another bug

Yuiopdude

I dunno why, it might be a mod that I have on (though, I've reloaded the game with no mods, and this still happened), but I have 2 dragons souls that I've been saving to use on shouts that I WANT (and not just all the shouts I happen across), and I finally get one that I REALLY want...

And it says I need dragon souls to unlock it...

so I try to unlock one of the OTHER shouts I have... same thing...

So I can't seem to unlock ANY new shouts, unless it's story related... Great... am i gonna have to start over AGAIN?

I dunno why, it might be a mod that I have on (though, I've reloaded the game with no mods, and this still happened), but I have 2 dragons souls that I've been saving to use on shouts that I WANT (and not just all the shouts I happen across), and I finally get one that I REALLY want...

And it says I need dragon souls to unlock it...

so I try to unlock one of the OTHER shouts I have... same thing...

So I can't seem to unlock ANY new shouts, unless it's story related... Great... am i gonna have to start over AGAIN?

if it's pc version it's a simple fix, just find the code to unlock that particular shout and cc it.

Sooo... Dragon souls have an expiration date? "I'm sorry, but this dragon soul is just too old now and is rotting."

Hell, I'd be happy to have a mod that makes Thu'um's unlockable with perk points... There are enough mods out there that add to the perk count, and mods that uncap the skills, which increases level count, which increases perks. Might as well find a use for them all.

Did you remap any of the buttons? There is a bug in the Skyrim's ui that might be responsible. I have remapped 'f' to 'r' so in game 'f' is sheathe-unsheathe and 'r' is change the camera and also the usage is changed in the menus. But on the bottom of the screen that says what each button does it didn't change. For example originally 'f' was favorite an item and 'r' was drop but in my PC 'r' is favorite and 'f' is drop only on the bottom of the screen it says it backwards, like it was originally. Edited by babis8142

Magic Menu > Shouts

Move to a locked Shout

Hit your Ready/Sheath Weapon button

Hit Yes.

Yea yea, I know that. Fact is I already HAVE 2 dragon souls, which should be enough to unlock 2 words, but they aren't unlocking. The game gives me this bogus "You need dragon souls to unlock shouts" message.

What level are you? And have you done the First Major Scripted Quest/Fight for the Jarl of Whiterun? (I'm trying no to post a spoiler)

Already fought the first dragon, absorbed it and got Fus, yes, and I've killed 2 others (fairly early, I wanted to save the souls for useful words, and not just any ol' shout I found)

Did you remap any of the buttons? There is a bug in the Skyrim's ui that might be responsible. I have remapped 'f' to 'r' so in game 'f' is sheathe-unsheathe and 'r' is change the camera and also the usage is changed in the menus. But on the bottom of the screen that says what each button does it didn't change. For example originally 'f' was favorite an item and 'r' was drop but in my PC 'r' is favorite and 'f' is drop only on the bottom of the screen it says it backwards, like it was originally.

I haven't remapped any buttons, but I do have the SkyUI mod, hope that's not messing things up, I absolutely love it... I have a lot of other mods too, but none that modify shouts in any way, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

EDIT: Ok, so, killed a dragon, that did nothing, started a quick new game, killed a dragon and got a word in about an hour and a half, still did nothin' so it must be one of my mods or something... which sucks, I don't know WHICH one it is... So I'm just re-downloading skyrim, and after that's done, I'll keep adding mods until I can't unlock words... Then yell at whoever made the mod.

Assuming that it's a problem with a mod.

Also, I noticed that this should thread should PROBABLY go in the "skyrim technical problem" thread... Any way to move that over?

Edited by Yuiopdude

You are sure you're hitting the correct button to unlock the shouts? I know I end up clicking on or just hitting "e" on a shout and I get that message. I still have that second of thinking "what the hell!?" then I remember I have to hit the other button (is it "t" or "r") to unlock.

I'm sure you've checked this but I'm just throwing it out there because I do it all the time.