SSE CTD on Save After Hours of Gameplay

squireoivanhoe

Interesting. So it looks like we may have found the real culprit. To make sure that I'm processing this correctly, Skyrim can't save because the LZ4 compression coding that is baked into saving doesn't like something (a script going mad or a long playthrough or both).

But of course, the load function can't (or won't) open a save that isn't compressed. So the only ways we can theoretically fix this are to either 1. get rid of the something that the coding doesn't like (the fix posted in this thread and on reddit) or 2. find some way to disable the compression on in-game saving that will allow it to still be read by the load function.

As regarding the second one, and I'm just spit-balling here as I am no coder, is there a way to run the LZ4 compression coding outside of the game? We already know how to turn it off, so if we could apply it outside of the engine so that they are loadable, that might fix the problem. Or find some way to alter the maximum size of the load function? That sounds less helpful as load screens might become insufferably long.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like it. Since I still have my old saves from before I started disabling plugins (Thank Wrye Bash for letting me load masters) and have them backed up, I can test whatever fixes aers suggests/creates on here or on Reddit. I know squat about coding as well, but I can do this at least. Hopefully this gets figured out because I really want to finish what quests I have left in my playthrough.

As far as I can tell with what limited knowledge I have, it seems like Skyrim SE's LZ4 compression coding just doesn't work well with long playthroughs considering the common theme with all of us here in this thread (Modded playthroughs, installed stuff correctly and no uninstalling until this issue started popping up, pops up after about 100 hours). It's also exclusive to SE it seems. LE/Oldrim isn't having this issue.

Edited by SevereArtisan

Pretty sure the problem is entirely "uncompressed save data > 64 MB" and the lz4 compression code is crashing due to running out of room in a buffer.

I will try to patch the size to 128MB or something like that when I get a chance.

If you have this problem on try the new version of Engine Fixes (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17230); make sure to enable the fix in the ini (it's near the bottom, "SaveGameMaxSize"). I won't rule out the possibility of multiple different issues causing crash-on-save but this one specifically fixes SevereArtisan's problem.

Thanks again so much for (hopefully) fixing this problem. Not just for me, but hopefully for anyone else who's been having and would have had this issue down the road.

Edited by SevereArtisan

Excellent! Thank you so much aers. SevereArtisan, would you be willing to check back in after 10 and 100 hours for the sake of posterity?

I don't think what I have left with this current playthrough will reach anywhere close to 100 hours unfortunately. All I have left until the only thing left are radiant quests, some quests I may have missed here, the rest of Legacy of the Dragonborn and Unslaad, and then I'm pretty much done minus messing around in Skyrim and waiting for Glenmoril and Inigo V3.

However, I did completely beat Vigilant last night again and I was able to save just fine the entire time I played through it, 33 hours or so since my last save with the CTD on save problem. Aers' SSE Engine Fixes update basically doubles the write limit size for a save (Uncompressed) from 64 MB to 128 MB. My save was above 64 MB uncompressed and it reached that size after beating through pretty much most of the game and then starting on Bruma. If my save happens to reach 128 MB uncompressed and up, the problem will show up once again, but I think that will only happen if I install a bunch of quest mods (More so than I already have anyways) or mods that edit or add a lot of worldspace.

Edited by SevereArtisan

Thank you so much SevereArtisan! I just wanted to confirm for the community that the fix worked. This is fantastic, as we now have two confirmed means of addressing the problem. I really appreciate your willingness to be a guinea pig, as I haven't had time to play Skyrim since July.

No problem at all! I'm just happy I made backups of my saves so I could test this stuff out. And as a result, I finally got to finish my playthrough. :D