College of Magi dissapointment?

ThomasBlaine

Personally I liked the Thieves Guild questline perhaps the most, with the only criticism that it was too short (but then again this seems to hold true for pretty much all the questlines in Skyrim). What I don't understand is why they don't make requirements for most things like they started to do with the College (although you can bypass the entry requirement if you're Dragonborn sadly). You shouldn't be allowed to join a guild straight away, you should be able to choose from a ton of sidequests available designed to train specific skills and ONLY THEN, if you've gotten a certain level, are you allowed to join the guild and go on with the main questline.

As for the Mages Guild, I agree with the OP, they should make it focus more on learning: personally I'd make key spells obtainable at level 50, 75, 90 and 100 obtainable ONLY through quests involving learning and such.

As for the Harry Potter games, they might not have been good RPGs but some of them did capture quite a bit of learning (I liked the 3rd one and the 6th one from this perspective, you really had achievements you had to keep trying for with rewards if you managed to get them, particularly on the 3rd one). Haven't played the newer ones, although I'd imagine it makes the same mistake as all the HP games: it focuses too much on the main story and too little on the in-between, the life @Hogwarts and such. It's been quite a long time since I read a HP book but what I remember enjoying from them was not so much the main story but all the experiences of 3 friends trying to figure out their place in a magical world.

Agree completely with the OP. Specially what you said bout the first bits of the questline.

The quest "looks" as it was thought as way more longer, then someone just took out everything except the most important bits (the Staff, the Thalmor guy, Eye of Magnus, Psijic), and mashed it up together.

If you tell it just like as it is, it really sounds like a sketch for a bigger questline.

Besides the usual complaint about the Eye, i friggin want to know what the eye is! I could have been the next Vivec if i had more time with it! Damn you Psijic!!!

Edited by eltucu

One of Skyrim's biggest failings is how you become the leader of any group you join after doing a few fetch quests. The people who have been there for years don't seem to mind that the guy who showed up out of nowhere yesterday is now the new boss.

It's a common problem in games but it seems especially blatant in Skyrim.

At the start I was kind of hoping it was actually a college.

I didn't really expect it considering I already know what Beth does. If you played Oblivion and Fallout 3 you should of been able to predict that kind of crap.

The entire game was made to appeal to the action group, not the RPG fans. Should not of expected the college to actually be a college.

I thought the College of Winterhold was awesome until you returned back to the Arch Mage after finding the Eye of Magnus. Cuz like the whole Sarthaal mission was like a field research mission and was pretty cool. After that, it like took on the whole "epic adventure" idea and went downhill from there... :/

What galls me the most is the Companions version. They said it at the very beginning: The Companions have NO leader. There's the inner council, there's the guy we respect more than anyone else, but no one plays King Of The Mountain. Awesome. You fulfill the quest-line which has nothing to do with the guild's actual purpose, and what happens? They f**king INVENT a leader position for you to have!

It's ridiculous! It's like the developers just stuck that cheap extra ego-boost to the end of every quest-line without considering the ramifications at all from a roleplaying perspective.

Edited by ThomasBlaine

What galls me the most is the Companions version. They said it at the very beginning: The Companions have NO leader. There's the inner council, there's the guy we respect more than anyone else, but no one plays King Of The Mountain. Awesome. You fulfill the quest-line which has nothing to do with the guild's actual purpose, and what happens? They f**king INVENT a leader position for you to have!

It's ridiculous! It's like the developers just stuck that cheap extra ego-boost to the end of every quest-line without considering the ramifications at all from a roleplaying perspective.

Actually if you payed attention to the lore the companions DID have a leader position.

Also you still really aren't the "leader" of the companions.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000