Invisible Clothing Mesh

Manus812

I'm trying to make a simple retexture to a vanilla clothing but it ends up Invisible. I extracted the meshes & textures straight from the Oblivion.bsa, converted .dds texture to .PNG,then created a new texture in Photoshop CS4, then re-converted new texture to .dds format. Then I applies the new black texture to the meshes, and save. The paths for meshes and textures are:

Data/meshes/clothing/middleclass/02/m

Data/textures/clothing/middleclass/02/m

Now I will admit I am doing it manually, the Textures & Meshes are just being dumped into the Data folder, I'm not so sure how to make a .bsa just yet. Or even if that's what I should be doing. I have the textures/meshes in the Data folder and then I go into CS and take a Clothing, make new id and replace the meshes with the enw ones in the data folder. This is how i've made textures for New Vegas, and I'm not sure why it isnt working here. And I also am using some Body replacers, Roberts to be exact. I think maybe the meshes I extracted from the Oblivion folders does not have any sketons attached, in Nifskope it was just the model, and no lines/nodes attached.

Here's my load order:

GameMode=Oblivion
Oblivion.esm=1
Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm=1
Francesco's Optional New Creatures Add-On.esm=1
Horse Management.esp=1
Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp=1
UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp=1
Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp=1
DLCShiveringIsles.esp=1
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp=1
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp=1
DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
DLCThievesDen.esp=1
DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp=1
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp=1
DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
DLCVileLair.esp=1
DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
DLCHorseArmor.esp=1
DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
DLCOrrery.esp=1
DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
DLCSpellTomes.esp=1
DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
DLCFrostcrag.esp=1
DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
Knights.esp=1
Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp=1
BloodOfTheNorthTest.esp=1
ArmorRatingUnCappedREDUX.esp=1
Francesco's Creatures and Items Resources.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Leveled Quests.esp=1
Francesco's More Wilderness Life.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Dungeon Chest Locks.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Vendor Tweaks.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Dungeon Chest Loot.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Leveled Arena.esp=1
Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp=1
Francesco's Optional House Chest Loot.esp=1
Francesco's Optional New Adventurers.esp=1
Bag of Holding.esp=1
BucklerShields.esp=1
cancelattack.esp=1
ReteroX_ClosedEbonyHelmet_v1.esp=1
ReteroX_ClosedIronHelmet_v1.esp=1
Crowded Roads.esp=1
Crowded Cities 15.esp=1
Disenchant.esp=1
MMDrink100Potions.esp=1
Oblivion DLC Delayers.esp=1
Enchanting and Spell Making Altars.esp=1
FasterArrows200.esp=1
JTP_GlassWeaponsRecolorsRED1.esp=1
No Recharge.esp=1
Oblivion Gate Markers.esp=1
Unlimited Training.esp=1
Purge Cell Buffers - Cell Change.esp=1
Purge Cell Buffers - Loading.esp=1
SetEssentialActors.esp=1
Ushnar's Re-Skinned Hound.esp=1
Creature Diversity.esp=1
Let There Be Darkness - Cyrodiil + SI.esp=1
Let There Be Darkness - Knights.esp=1
Let There Be Darkness - Mehrunes Razor.esp=1
SSEE.esp=1
SigilStoneSelector-SSEE.esp=1
Sin's Expanded Light Armor Kit [Chest].esp=1
MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp=1
Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp=1
RTFemaleReplacerV12.esp=1
1em_Vilja.esp=1
Real Black Bow Bandits.esp=1
Crossbows of Cyrodiil.esp=1
EnchantedArrowsForSale.esp=1
ArmamentariumKatanas.esp=1
EM_CompInnsleeping.esp=1
Tavern-Goers 2.esp=1
KnightlyArmory.esp=1
Zira's Horse Modpack - Armored Legion Horses.esp=1
Camping.esp=1
See You Sleep DLL.esp=1
See You Sleep DLL - DLCVileLair.esp=1
1em_Vilja OCOv2 Alternative.esp=1
Push Combat Ability.esp=1
HUD Status Bars.esp=1
Basic Primary Needs.esp=1
Lock Bash v99.91.esp=1
GripChangerAlpha1.esp=1
FineSteelDAM.esp=1
Vilja Equipment.esp=1
ImperialDragonHeavyShield - Greater.esp=1
WeAreLegion - ALPHA1.esp=1
JR_GuardHelmetSinglePalace.esp=1
InstantKillAdv.esp=1
Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1
ArtifactSigilStones.esp=0
FasterArrows125.esp=0
FasterArrows150.esp=0
FasterArrows175.esp=0
FasterArrows225.esp=0
FasterArrows250.esp=0
ImperialDragonHeavyShield.esp=0
ImperialDragonHeavyShield - Greater - No Enchantments.esp=0
JR_GuardHelmetReplacer.esp=0
Zira's Horse Modpack - Heavy Legion Horses.esp=0
Zira's Horse Modpack - Extra Horses.esp=0
Zira's Horse Modpack - More Horses.esp=0
Zira's Horse Modpack - My Horses.esp=0
Zira's Horse Modpack - Shadowmere.esp=0
Zira's Horse Modpack - Friesian Horses.esp=0
GambesonTest.esp=0

And here's some screenshots.
20170305220705_1.jpg Vanilla Clothes I am moddng off of
20170305220714_1.jpg Invisible New Mesh
afd.PNG New Mesh/Texure as seen in Nifskope.

If the body you are using is Roberts Male use meshes from the Roberts Male extracted download, not meshes extracted from Oblivion - Meshes.bsa (unless you are shooting for a target audience that doesn't use Roberts Male, in which case your mod will be unsuitable for your own use while you continue to use Roberts Male).

What is the texture path shown in NifSkope for your mesh (open up the little flower icon in the panel to the upper left)?

Texture paths must be relative, meaning the path attached to the NIF starts at Textures NOT Data. In your game folder the texture path you have shown is correct IF you want all male quilted doublets in the game to get your new texture (i.e. you are creating a replacer type mod). If you want only your altered mesh to receive the new texture you will need to give both the mesh and the texture unique folder paths (e.g. Data\Meshes\clothing\middleclass\MyQuiltedDoublet\shirt.nif and Data\Textures\clothing\middleclass\MyQuiltedDoublet\shirt.dds).

I also think you will need to put a copy of the vanilla normal map for the quilted doublet in your unique folder (so Data\Textures\clothing\middlesclass\MyQuiltedDoublet\shirt_n.dds) ... Drake will be able to give more authoritative advice on that.

Ah, that must be the problem. I am using Roberts Male V52 BAIN. where exactly would the clothing Meshes be packaged with that? because there is a lot of subfolders. Though there are lots of meshes in the data folder already, maybe they are from the body replacers.

That particular piece (quilted shirt) is found in the BAIN\005 Core Files - Musc with Pants 0 and Musc Outfits\meshes\clothes\middleclass\02\m folder. Look in the level 015 folders for other supported body sizes, but keep in mind these are replacers, so you can only have a single body size even with the clothing/armor without creating an ESP and unique folder structures.

I haven't ever run across a resource that correlates the folder numbers to which clothing item (e.g. that folder middleclass\02 is for the quilted shirt, tan linens and doeskin shoes) so I went all old school with pen and paper and went through all the clothing in the Construction Set and created my own list.

Edited by Striker879

Why me? What could possibly be any more authoritative than what you already wrote, Striker?

Although the pictures attached to the OP have been impossible to load/missing for me right from the start, a retextured mesh going invisible inside the game usually indicates a missing normal map. If your texture is named "XYZ.dds" and there's no "XYZ_n.dds" inside the same folder going along with it, the usual outcome is the either pitch black or completely invisible mesh "missing normal map" error indicator inside the game.

So if I got you right and you created a "new" texture file, so you had to actually "change" the texture the NIF is pointing to, having missed to also provide a new normal map of the same name to go along with it will always be the first cause to investigate.

Of course, it is also well known that some items with Vanilla body meshes inside for some reason completely disappear, including the body parts, when worn on Robert's Male bodies, though it hasn't yet been found out exactly why that even is the case to begin with, yet it is. But if only the items themselves are pitch black or invisible, not the body parts included, then this is unlikely to be the cause and the "missing normal map" issue should be investigated first.

Mainly because most of what I "know" about it comes from my notes, which are compiled from you answering these types of questions in the past (the often mentioned DrakesTips.txt) ... aka without you I would know diddly.