Textures in Oblivion-Nifs

Hi there, i need some help with an odd and annoying problem i have with oblivion.nifs in general. In Fallout NV or Fallout 3 for example, ALL textures attached to a specific nif can be easily located in the NiTriStrips-tree. Well...in every oblivion-nif i tried, i just can locate the diffuse-map, but no normals, no glowing maps, nothing. Just the diffuse. Where can i find the others attached to them(most nifs in oblivion at least got a normal map, right?)? I want to retexture some stuff, and this ruins everything...

Yeah i know, nobody plays oblivion anymore so i´m pretty lonely;)

Well i hope, someone can really help me with this, thx in advance and sorry for my bad english- i´m german.

THX for the reply, but i´m not a complete noob...In the NiSourceTexture it just leads me to the diffuse map. It shows me the folder path and the specific diffuse map in it but nothing more. Like if the nif doesn´t has an normal map or so. But it definitly has one...i just don´t get it. Fallout-nifs are totally different...

Did the texture file have another file next to it, but with an underscore and an 'n' appended to it? Like:

• Textures/.../SomeFolder/YourTexture.dds
  • Textures/.../SomeFolder/YourTexture_n.dds

From what I have heard, the '_n' file might be the normal map. I think.

Edit: In the Construction Set wiki ( http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Texture_Replacer/Tutorial ) it says this:

Oblivion textures always come in pairs: texture.dds the color-texture (defining how the surface is colored) and texture_n.dds the normal map (defining surface structure). --

Hopefully that helps a bit. :thumbsup:

Edited by Contrathetix

Exactly. In Oblivion there aren't any other textures defined inside the NIF but the diffuse map, because their file names are not allowed to differ.

The engine is hardcoded to use "<texturefilename>_n.dds" for the normal map (the alpha channel of which is the specularity map btw.) and "<texturefilename>_g.dds" for the glow map.

If you know where the diffuse map is, you also know where the others are, if present. (Normal map's mandatory for everything but icons, everything 3D, but glow map's optional still.)

This also allows for some fun resource sharing between different color schemes of the same texture for example:

<texture>_white.dds

<texture>_black.dds

<texture>_red.dds

<texture>_blue.dds

will all use the same

<texture>_n.dds

<texture>_g.dds

But you need to be careful not to make for example:

<texture>_green.dds

or

<texture>_night.dds

as the engine will mistake those for glow map and normal map then. Gotta love this ancient piece of software.