Body Hovers Above Dress

stabilobossyellow

So, you have a body inside a dress where the chest pokes through ... having no luck with Max and NifSkope, I tried the obj route ...

Exported the original nif from NifSkope as obj (that is both the body and the dress together as one file), opened in Max and changed the dress slightly to cover the chest.

Exported the body and dress together from Max as obj. (had to flip the y and z axis)

Opened the original nif and imported the obj into it so that it sort of meshes into the original nif (It's no good trying to copy and paste from original nif in one window into new obj in another because of the "versions are different" problem i.e. don't work nohow)

Copied and pasted the bsdismember, the skinning and the textures over, old body to new body and old dress to new dress ... (you, know paste at end and then change Properties)

Deleted the original body and dress and renumbered and renamed the obj versions to the original names

All looked just perfect in NifSkope and all data seemed identical EXCEPT for the Translation data which was 0.0.0 in two places in the new file and various data in the old file

However, when opened in game, the dress is ok but the body (which is perfectly textured by the way, deep joy) is hovering above the head ... it moves with the body , however it is wavy and stretched ... looks like a manic ghost ...

I tried just changing the translation data in the new file, but that seems to have no effect.

Since I only tried this as an experiment, and I am impressed to even get this far, I wonder if anyone can just nudge me in the right direction to finish it off? (I mean, it might be a well known easy fix for all I know)

Or maybe just let me know it can't be done until the new NfSkope hoves into view, whenever.

Since this is the first time I have tried this admittedly weird method, just because it seemed logical because I only moved a few vertices, after all ... but I have now run out of ideas.

PS

Sorry if this seems gibberish, I had to write this in a hurry, without my files in front of me, hoping others will be familiar with it and know the answer ... if anyone is interested in the amazing hovering ghost ,I could probably write out the steps in more detail