Constant Stutter

joswald1018

If you perchance added the settting "iNumHWThreads" to your ini file, that could be the cause of your stuttering problem.

This is interessting, do you have a link for that? Where people tested it? I've looked it up and couldnt find anything related. I'm using this option also and suffer from microstutters. i "fixed" them with pre rendered frames 2 and adaptive vsync. It runs very smooth now, but still interessted.

I see you have cleaned out your mods, but did you also test it with just the vanilla DLCs and vanilla Settings with a complete new Savegame?(i.e. as fresh as out of the box)?

Sometimes Bethesda Games start stuttering until you have finished a certain quest, or if you have too many quests running. Try finishing most quests, especially the side quests. Also be aware that some mods do also cause stutters, even though they don't crash the game. Anything that modifies the worldspace is a good candidate for causing stutters, even in areas that have absolutely nothing to do with the mod apart from being as far away from the modded area as you can possibly be.

I see you have cleaned out your mods, but did you also test it with just the vanilla DLCs and vanilla Settings with a complete new Savegame?(i.e. as fresh as out of the box)?

Sometimes Bethesda Games start stuttering until you have finished a certain quest, or if you have too many quests running. Try finishing most quests, especially the side quests. Also be aware that some mods do also cause stutters, even though they don't crash the game. Anything that modifies the worldspace is a good candidate for causing stutters, even in areas that have absolutely nothing to do with the mod apart from being as far away from the modded area as you can possibly be.

It was stuttering before I purchased the DLCs for the game and it begins stuttering on start-up, not just in save files.

The thing that's baffling me is that it ran nice and smooth when I first had it (other than in downtown areas where it gets a little choppy for everyone.) Once patch 1.6.3 came out, the game started to stutter non-stop. As far as I can tell, it is NOT an issue with my hardware.

<snip>

My Rig:

Windows 7 Pro x64

Intel Core i7 3820

ASUS X79 Sabertooth

32gb of 1600mhz RAM

4gb GTX 970 SC

3x WD 250gb 7200 SATA HDDs

1x WD 320gb 7200 SATA HDD

Updated my rig on the first post, quoted it here.

As for updates on the problem at hand:

I've fiddled a little bit with the pre-rendering frames in the nVidia control panel, that helped to smooth it out some, but it's not smooth. The game is PLAYABLE, but it's really annoying to do anything finicky (sniping and lock picking for instance)

As I said before, this started up BEFORE I added mods or bought the DLCs.

Edited by joswald1018

How heavily modded is your game? It may be stuttering because you are running the game off of an HDD. I had the same problem, but it cleared up after I started running the game off of an SSD. Now my game runs buttery smooth, even with 300+ mods installed.

Edited by Zeppelin1996

How heavily modded is your game? It may be stuttering because you are running the game off of an HDD. I had the same problem, but it cleared up after I started running the game off of an SSD. Now my game runs buttery smooth, even with 300+ mods installed.

I got 77 plug-ins running and some loose files, but like I said, it started up before I started modding the game or had any of the DLC. The stutter ONLY happens when I play Fallout 4, all my other games run nice and smooth, even Doom and Metro, so it's something with Bethesda's engine, not my hardware.

Edited by joswald1018

My point remains. My heavily modded game runs far more smoothly on my SSD than my vanilla game ever did on an HDD.

However, you're right about how there is something wrong with the game's engine. The game's optimization is horrible in general.

You could try using some optimized texture packs available here on the Nexus if you aren't already.

I also find that Fallout 4 runs better in windowed mode rather than in fullscreen mode.

What graphical settings are you using?

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is that you may be playing the game on an old savegame.

I noticed that the game runs more smoothly on a new save and performance tends to degrade the more you play on that save and the bigger the save file gets.

Edited by Zeppelin1996

Update on the situation: Fallout 4 became basically unplayable because of the stutter after the last nVidia patch (leading me to believe it's a gfx driver issue) but I tried a strip and reload on it to see if it was a corrupted install (lost all my mods, but whatever, I only have dl'd/installed what I use) and swapped install drives just to check if it was my HDDs throwing errors, but that didn't have any impact on it.

Now I have to figure out which gfx driver I was using before it started to fight with the game.

EDIT: Source of issue was combination of improper nVidia driver AND MalwareBytes.

Edited by joswald1018

I'd never had a problem with stuttering until I went to Nuka World for the first time. I did the Gauntlet? but as soon as I got into Nuka World itself, it was playing at 60FPS but it was difficult to control. I went back to the Commonwealth, no problem.

Looks like I spoke too soon, played last night and it was appalling, Defend the Castle was almost unplayable as was moving around other areas. I'll try again tonight and if it's still the same, I might give up and switch to playing M E Andromeda. I may even delete FO4 and all my mods and start again from scratch.