Whats actually good about Skyrim?

jonnyeah

With the CK due to be out in the next week to three months, I've decided it's time to give Skyrim another shot. I can't muster up the ambition to start it up though, because I'm left with horrible memories of bland repetitive dribble. So in hopes of some sort of motivational slap to the face (or calming whispers that I'm not jaded by memories of instantly enjoyable games), I've decided to ask the Nexus.

So Nexus, I ask you, what actually is good about Skyrim?

I enjoyed Skyrim a lot actually... I spent the first day simply exploring around and admiring the scenery. I have to say Skyrim is probably the most spectacular virtual location I've ever visited. I loved the melee combat and archery as well. The questlines could have been longer and more immersive, but as a quest modder, I see the potential to create some epic mods in the future. :)

With the CK due to be out in the next week to three months, I've decided it's time to give Skyrim another shot. I can't muster up the ambition to start it up though, because I'm left with horrible memories of bland repetitive dribble. So in hopes of some sort of motivational slap to the face (or calming whispers that I'm not jaded by memories of instantly enjoyable games), I've decided to ask the Nexus.

So Nexus, I ask you, what actually is good about Skyrim?

It really depends what you are looking for, people new to the series might feel the game deserves 10/10 and i cant really berate it to them, while some of the veterans playing beths games for years are dissapointed.

No matter what the people say about the game's good points it wont change the way you feel, i felt the same way and just stoped playing and going to return when ck is out...reinstalled New Vegas and having plenty of fun with it.

I guess i would suggest the same to you, reinstall some game till the ck is out, because this way you are just going to feel more and more dissapointed, get some break from it.

The motivation has to come from being interested and no persuasion of good points will change it, if you arent motivated yourself.

Edited by pavy

What actually is good about Skyrim?

Let's see. You've got flying mammoths, flying horses, NPC's falling from the sky, dragons flying backwards (I believe only on PS3), skeleton gliches, giants running a space program, quest bugs, texture gliches and ocasionally your character turns into rainbow colors. You gotta love those things, they make Bethesda games special.

As for what's good, it doesn't require ArchiveInvalidation. And Mai'q the Liar is still good, although not as funny as he used to be.

I rant against Skyrim a lot (mostly in relation to its predecessors), but you have to give the devs credit for giving the modding community a lot to work with. There's an integrated companion system that should be easy to expand upon, dragon-riding animations already packaged into vanilla, a resource and crafting system which TES players have been looking for since Morrowind, and far more. I expect to see some pretty amazing mods come out in the next few months.

Lanceor:

I do agree that Skyrim does have some nice scenery. I don't really appreciate coming across yet another EPIC MOUNTAIN as I try to do fetch quest #30 from generic town #5 though.

As for combat, it's better than past TES games, and I'll leave it at that.

Pavy:

I've been playing other stuff since November 18th. It's been working out rather well.

Werne:

Yep, those are actually both two good things :D.

Janus:

Beth seems to be giving modders a bit of extra love, they are taking far too long though.

There is still ofcourse, the question of it it's even ethical for Beth to leave as much up to modders as they do.

stars2heaven:

I can find lots of lists of what people don't like about Skyrim, I can also make a pretty decent list myself (and will if you really want).

I've also worked on three rather sucessful FNV mods, so I have a good idea of what the CK will be able to do.

What I don't have is a very large of list of what is good about the game, things that would encourage me to mod. As is, I'm seeing modding as a way to make the game enjoyable, where it should be a means to make the game more enjoyable.

thesapien:

Actually, it's a fairly decent forum for it. While it may have it's share of Beth fanboiz, it also has a good deal of modders who actually pay attention to the game they're playing (something reviewers don't seem to do anymore).

If you don't like Skyrim then it's not going to help you to ask the Skyrim community why we like it. What we say won't change the fact that you dislike it.

Anyways, the graphics are fantastic, environments are incredible, combat is the best I've played since Mount and Blade, and the characters are very well done. The quests aren't half bad either...