Please help, The Mod Configuration Menu does not work

I installed nexus mod manager and the mod, but it just won't work. The Installation is done, but when I start Fallout New Vegas the Menu doesn't appear :'( Please help, i reallay need it :'( dunno what to do

I am using Windows 10.

Please help, don't have much time left, and I really need this menu!

Do I have to do something with steam? Cause I'm playing Fallout New Vegas on Steam.

Thanks a lot!

MCM is used by other mods. Do you have the requirements listed on the description page installed? Do you know that NVSE is working, by checking it's log files? If you don't have mods installed that are designed to work with MCM, then you won't see it. So, posting a "load order" is essential to tell if you have the needed mods.

It's always useful to post your "Load Order" (LO) with your problem description. (Use the "Special BBCode" button in the Forum "Reply" menu bar as the third icon from the left in the top row, next to and left of the "Font" pick-list field to put the LO in "Spoiler" tags.) Screenshots are not the best way to convey your LO, because they usually can't include everything in one image. LOOT can copy your LO into a list suitable for posting on forums. (It's under the ":" with three dots to the extreme right in it's menu bar.) Most "mod managers" have a similar "LO List" capability. But the total number of mods you have installed in the DATA folder is also important, because even inactive plugins are counted against the so-called "140 cap". LOOT provides both numbers: active and total installed.

In addition, if you have other mods installed that change the HUD or UI or other Menus, then the "install order" is also important. See the article "HUD-UI-Menu issues" in that case.

-Dubious-

I had 1 case while helping someone with my Beginners guide where I had to Teamview with him to fix MCM, Turned out the only way to fix his install of the mod was to go into his registry and remove the entries for it, As soon as we did that, rebooted and reinstalled, it worked first time lol

• 2 years later...

Are you asking about re-installing NMM or FNV or MCM?

What have you tried already? Did you install MCM using a "mod manager"?

Are you not getting to the Main Menu of the game or not getting to MCM?

Clearing out the registry of a program's entries (not usually the case for a mod: I just did a search for "MCM" and the only entry I found was a reference the folder containing the package of it I had created; and a ton of other unrelated entries) is not something which is casually described. You can completely brick your Operating System if you make the wrong mistake. Even programs designed for the purpose (such as "AusLogics Registry Cleaner Free") can cause problems because the user is expected to understand and make choices. Which is why gromulos used a "remote control" program like TeamViewer to do it. By far the best method is to uninstall the program using Steam or Windows Control Panel.

-Dubious-

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

i have same problem (mcm not showing up on pause menu)so here is my load order:

0 0 FalloutNV.esm
1 1 OldWorldBlues.esm
2 2 LonesomeRoad.esm
3 3 DeadMoney.esm
4 4 HonestHearts.esm
5 5 GunRunnersArsenal.esm
6 6 MercenaryPack.esm
7 7 ClassicPack.esm
8 8 TribalPack.esm
9 9 CaravanPack.esm
10 a MikotoBeauty.esm
11 b TLD_Travelers.esm
12 c FalloutNV_lang.esp
13 d Cheaper Repair Vendors 50%.esp
14 e Clarity.esp
15 f ImprovedStealthSuit.esp
16 10 MikotoBeauty.esp
17 11 RHINO-M1.esp
18 12 Asurah_reanimation.esp
19 13 Asurah_Reanimation_Handgrips.esp
20 14 Performance Of The Gods.esp
21 15 RWD-NV v1.3 [Alternative Version].esp
22 16 M40a5.esp
23 17 FP gun follows crosshairs.esp
24 18 Depth of View IE.esp
25 19 Depth of View I Blur.esp
26 1a Depth of View I.esp
27 1b Depth of View IE Blur.esp
28 1c Depth of View IE Custom.esp
29 1d Depth of View IE Gentler.esp
30 1e Depth of View IE Middle.esp
31 1f Zombie Mod.esp
32 20 Sex Sounds Fix.esp
33 21 Unarmed And Melee Revolution.esp
maybe i can get some help :/ + its not an steam version of the game
Edited by blabla420

* Be aware that one error may mask a number of other errors, which will not appear until those masking them have been resolved. Building a stable game consists of resolving each problem individually until none remain, and then realizing that every change you make thereafter (including updates to mods already installed) run the risk of introducing new problems. Be prepared to revert to a previous save if you do so.

That load order is not sorted correctly. Also you have a number of common problems (see below). Recommend you uninstall MCM, get a proper stable load order, to include the other required plugins for MCM, and then re-install it. If you then have problems with it come back with your corrected "load order" and include the mods that do not show up there. (These are categorized in the the wiki "How to ask for help" article.)

We REALLY need to see a sorted "load order" (such as produced by "LOOT"); to include the main game and DLC files. (Screenshots don't work so well for the purpose.) With modded games its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

In the meantime, please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; as well as the 'Towards Game Stability' and the 'Common Game Problems' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

* Do you have "New Vegas Stutter Remover" (NVSR) installed? If so, please see the 'Issue: CTD after 10-20 minutes of play (post-Win10 2017 FCU)' and 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu' entries in the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. Note the default NVSR settings do not work with Win10, but there are some recommended by the author for Win10 further down in the article.

:* Currently, the recommended alternative to NVSR, if you are running Win7 or Win10, is to try using the "New Vegas Tick Fix (NVTF)" and "New Vegas Heap Replacer (NVHR)" mods instead. However, until NVTF includes the option, you may want to continue to use NVSR for the "iThreadsFixedToCPUs" setting. Note though, use of NVSR along with NVTF is unsupported.

* Related to the NVSR problem, for problems AFTER a save game is loaded see also 'Issue: Incomplete save game load' in the "Troubleshooting" guide.

* Are you using the FNV 4GB Patcher (even with the GOG version)? For FNV Steam users (and now for GOG users as well with v1.4 or later) the tool easily solves the problem of the 2GB memory limit and loading NVSE for both the game and '''GECK'''. (Older versions of the tool are deprecated. The latest version (v1.4+) now supports the GOG version for auto loading NVSE, and the "NVSE_CONFIG.INI" file does not work for the GOG version without RoyBatty's patch. Revert to the backup copy created if you did run an older version.) Run the patcher once (as "Local Administrator" if necessary) and thereafter just use the default game FalloutNV.EXE (preferred) or FalloutNVLauncher.EXE (re-writes your INI files) as a normal user. The patched game automatically detects and launches NVSE.

How can you tell if the 4GB Patch is working?
: Look for the "Data\NVSE\NVSE_CONFIG.INI" file which for GOG users will otherwise will not get created without the "nvse_steam_loader". Check the "nvse_steam_loader.log" file (in the game root folder with the FalloutNV.EXE file) for errors.
: The [http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58277 JIP LN NVSE Plugin] has a function which can be run from the game console (<~>): "GetIsLAA" (not case sensitive).
: Possible return codes:
:* 0=patch is not applied
:* 1=patch was applied to the executable, but extra memory is not being allocated
:* 2=successfully allocated extra memory from the patch and is fully working.
: If "GetIsLAA" is returning code "1", try running the game from a "Local Administrator" account. If that is successfull, you need to move the game install location out of the "C:\Program Files" folder tree, or correct the "permissions" on it's folder if you have moved it, as you are going to have other problems down the road. Please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for details.
: Alternatively: if the Windows "Task Manager" indicates the "FalloutNV.exe" program has more than 2GB (2,000,000KB) of "Memory (Private Working Set)", then the 4GB Patcher is in effect. However, to the contrary: less does not mean it is not working. The game simply hasn't needed that much memory as yet.

* Don't install every optional file for a mod. Read the install instructions carefully. Optional files need to be selected on a "case by case" basis. For example: with any mod you usually only need one ESP (and possibly one ESM) "base" file depending upon whether you have all the DLCs active or not. Only if you don't have them all active do you need to install any specific DLC versions if there is an "Ultimate Edition/All/Merged DLC" version.

Specifically choose only one of the "Depth of View" plugins.

* "Compatibility patches" to make one mod work with another need to be placed after (as in "physically lower, higher numbered") in the "load order" than ALL of the plugins they are designed to make compatible. (This also applies to "fix" files.) ESMs should always be placed at the top (lowest numbered) positions in the "load order", followed by the related ESPs though they can be separated from their ESMs by other plugins. LOOT does a good job of determining those basic orders, but it is a "crutch". (The "Tale of Two Wastelands" site has A Guide for NOT using LOOT for those interested in learning how to manually manage their "load order" for themselves.) Getting the "load order" incorrect will cause "Missing Masters" errors as well. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata".

FYI: The "pre-order packs" (aka "POPs": Caravan, Classic, Mercenary, and Tribal; available now in the "Courier's Stash" addon), are not considered "true DLC expansions" by most mods and are treated as "compatibility patches" to the base game because they just add certain unique items. So their absence should not deter you from using "All DLC Merged" plugins. Where they are included, they should come after "GunrunnersArsenal.ESM" which is a true DLC expansion. When in doubt, follow the process in the wiki "Missing Masters" article to confirm they are not "master files" for that plugin.

* Don't install compatibility patches for mods you do not have installed/active (e.g. get rid of any "TTW" patches if you aren't running TTW). The reverse also holds true: don't install mods that are not compatible with, or specific to TTW or FNC,etc., if you are playing with them.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last set it up. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned" by a retired Technical Support expert. It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine; only "the essentials". It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article. Once you can play a test game to at least Primm, only then should you try adding other mods from some other "guide".

-Dubious-