How to enable Media keys on keyboard

x2ruff4u

Skyrim seems to be the only game I can't use media keys on my keyboard. I'd like to be able to use my volume buttons. Is there some way to make this work? Thanks I really appreciate any help!! :thumbsup:

Any idea guys? I can use my media keys on any game except this. :wallbash:

• 5 months later...

Skyrim seems to be the only game I can't use media keys on my keyboard. I'd like to be able to use my volume buttons. Is there some way to make this work? Thanks I really appreciate any help!! :thumbsup:

think there is a mod for it if you search SKSE has something to do with them

Bethesda in their finite wisdom to give us a PC - Counsole game, hard coded the key mapping. What that means is if you try and remap ithe input keys (some will) you will break the i/o flags and get no response from your selected input device/keys. SKSE dose have available alternate mapping, Just be sure to follow the SKSE direction on loading and activating it. There is a standard mod on Nexus that somewhat remaps some of the keys, but to get your media keys to funcion, I am not sure. If you can trap a macro program to the Skyrim window, its possible you can macro your keys active through it. I never tried this, it just popped into my head. I don't know if the hard coding will break when the macro activates or if your mouse x,y will lose sync with the game pointer. Edited by Brandy_123

• 2 months later...

I have been using a little app called 3RVX.exe so I could use hotkeys to mute and change volume in Fallout 3.

3RVX: stylish, hotkey-enabled volume control — freewaregenius.com

Unfortunately this app does not work in Skyrim if Skyrim is in full-screen mode. Today I found a program that does let me change volume in Skyrim in full-screen mode.volume2 - Volume² - advanced Windows volume control - Google Project Hosting

By using the screen edge feature I am able to change the volume in any ingame screen that shows the cursor. If I hit tab ingame and get the menu I can move the cursor to the screen edge I have chosen. The edge will change color and I can scroll up and down with the wheel to turn sounds up and down. Also a mouse option lets me hold ALT and left click to toggle mute.

Yes this is a great idea. Games would be much better if the volume could be changed depending on the area= dungeon with no one around the volume gets turned up so you can hear water dripping or footsteps. IN a busy town- volume gets turned down so you only hear a loud sounds like a dragon. It would make the game more realistic as our own hearing sensitivity changes quickly on the ambient noise that surrounds us.

Yes this is a great idea. Games would be much better if the volume could be changed depending on the area= dungeon with no one around the volume gets turned up so you can hear water dripping or footsteps. IN a busy town- volume gets turned down so you only hear a loud sounds like a dragon. It would make the game more realistic as our own hearing sensitivity changes quickly on the ambient noise that surrounds us.

I see...

HDR

High dynamic range rendering & the Human eye

Just as HDR emulates the adaptive nature of human sight another enhancement could better emulate human hearing. Indeed, Humans do effectively "turn up the volume" in quiet settings and, in effect, increase our auditory dynamic range naturally. Some of this happens while we play the game if we are in an environment that is free of ambient noises that would swamp the natural adaptation. But if the player is in an environment with even moderate noise some of the subtleties of the game environment may be lost.

So an adjustable active emulation of auditory adaptation would be a nice entrancement.