CK Update

gengrimm

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me a lot of NWScript, which is a good thing. Say what you will about the game, but the modding tools are quite powerful there.

Yay, we have objects?! This should dramatically cut down on OMG CODE REUSE scenarios. Looking at the syntax, perhaps we even have recursion? That could be fun...

Talking as someone who has used TESScript for several years, I say that they changed it dramatically. (External code management using your own IDE, for one. I smell an Eclipse or NetBeans plugin in the not too far off future, which should be interesting).

I would LOVE to be able to use Eclipse.. but I'm hoping that the CK compiler will be good as is!

Edit:

I watched the preview and I was impressed. The game trailer for Skyrim was cool, but this... this preview is EPIC! The CK seemingly has everything that was missing in previous kits... I hope it won't be released before the 12th, that's when I come home from Rome, but I guess I'll just take my laptop with me just in case :D

It peeves me when people say this. Why?? So that nobody gets a head-start on you? What does it matter, really?

In another thread someone said that they better not release the CK during the superbowl because it'll put the american modders at a disadvantage. :wallbash: :facepalm:

If modding is anything like MMOs, about 20 of the mods I might want to make will be finished and uploaded within an hour of the CK's release. Some people are that crazy about these things, and have absolutely no lives/are lucky enough to have free time at a convenient hour/have all of the resources they need ready in advance and have already planned out exactly how everything is going to work. So yes, a SINGLE day's headstart might be big deal.

Edit: Though maybe applying MMO logic to modding isn't a particularly good analogy. I started about two years after the release of Oblivion, and couldn't run fallout on the computer I had at the time, so I've never really been "at" the release of one of the APIs.

Edited by TheElderInfinity

Reminds me a lot of NWScript, which is a good thing. Say what you will about the game, but the modding tools are quite powerful there.

Yay, we have objects?! This should dramatically cut down on OMG CODE REUSE scenarios. Looking at the syntax, perhaps we even have recursion? That could be fun...

Talking as someone who has used TESScript for several years, I say that they changed it dramatically. (External code management using your own IDE, for one. I smell an Eclipse or NetBeans plugin in the not too far off future, which should be interesting).

I would LOVE to be able to use Eclipse.. but I'm hoping that the CK compiler will be good as is!

Edit:

I watched the preview and I was impressed. The game trailer for Skyrim was cool, but this... this preview is EPIC! The CK seemingly has everything that was missing in previous kits... I hope it won't be released before the 12th, that's when I come home from Rome, but I guess I'll just take my laptop with me just in case :D

It peeves me when people say this. Why?? So that nobody gets a head-start on you? What does it matter, really?

In another thread someone said that they better not release the CK during the superbowl because it'll put the american modders at a disadvantage. :wallbash: :facepalm:

If modding is anything like MMOs, about 20 of the mods I might want to make will be finished and uploaded within an hour of the CK's release. Some people are that crazy about these things, and have absolutely no lives/are lucky enough to have free time at a convenient hour/have all of the resources they need ready in advance and have already planned out exactly how everything is going to work. So yes, a SINGLE day's headstart might be big deal.

Edit: Though maybe applying MMO logic to modding isn't a particularly good analogy. I started about two years after the release of Oblivion, and couldn't run fallout on the computer I had at the time, so I've never really been "at" the release of one of the APIs.

If some one comes out with the mod you wanted to make. Just make your mod better than theirs.

Or be happy they did the work for you and hit download? If people are looking for fame and glory because THEY created a mod for this game, then they really should look at reprioritizing the important things in their lives, cause that s*** is pathetic! Edited by thedemoninside

The syntax for the scripting looks simple enough, maybe it's because I know C++ at an intermediate-ish level. Can't wait for CK to start trying to do random stuff to learn the tools before I begin a real mod project.

I have only a Cisco-CONA networking assessment and it's weekend until tuesday for me, a release tomorrow would be awesome, but I've waited patiently since january, so I'm willing to wait an additional week if need be.

Edited by GisleAune

Bethesda has issues with "debugging". Sorry I couldn't resist the opportunity to get that little dig in....

HAH! I have this love/hate thing with Bethsoft; I love their games (most of the time), but there's something seriously lacking in a dev team that has to literally be bludgeoned into setting the compiler optimization switches for a specific platform. It just doesn't speak well for the kind of initiative you expect to be displayed by team members. As to debugging and QA, here again they had to get the tar whipped out of them with the first round of "fixes" they released, breaking huge numbers of games for huge numbers of players. I'd say they learned the hard way. On the bright side, I'm pretty impressed with this current patch! :)