CK Update

gengrimm

They mentioned a new scripting language called Papyrus, does anyone know where I can begin to learn more about it while waiting for the kit?

http://sleekupload.com/uploads/5/thm/papyrus_thm.jpg

It's definately good to see you can use external programs for scripting now too.

Looking at that picture,it doesn't look like they changed much. If anything its just more Java like than it was before.

On a interesting note, judging from the comments in that script that appears to be part of the Butterfly Script.

True, it doesn't look too different, but one thing I notice already is the absence of "set" in order to define values, which is a godsend. Also apparently, looking at a different screenshot (below), you can now have loops! That alone just makes me cry of joy. Before you had to use the Script Extender, so im glad this functionality has been addressed and implemented. Good job Bethesda!

http://sleekupload.com/uploads/5/thm/papyrus2_2_thm.jpg

So I have had programming classes in school for the past 4ish years, and I know Java, C# and basic. Do you think that I should be able to pic up their scripting pretty easily? The only other game scripting I have done is for pokemon rom hacks.

Reminds me a lot of NWScript, which is a good thing. Say what you will about the game, but the modding tools are quite powerful there.

Yay, we have objects?! This should dramatically cut down on OMG CODE REUSE scenarios. Looking at the syntax, perhaps we even have recursion? That could be fun...

Talking as someone who has used TESScript for several years, I say that they changed it dramatically. (External code management using your own IDE, for one. I smell an Eclipse or NetBeans plugin in the not too far off future, which should be interesting).

so I have had about 4 yearsish of programming in school, I know Java, basic, and C#(XNA). Do you think that I should be able to pick up their scripting pretty easily? The only other game scripting I have done was for pokemon rom hacks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so I have had about 4 yearsish of programming in school, I know Java, basic, and C#(XNA). Do you think that I should be able to pick up their scripting pretty easily? The only other game scripting I have done was for pokemon rom hacks.

Try the Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas kit's and check out that scripting language. This one will be based heavily on that, with changes to syntax. I would say so, yes, since I did relatively easily.

Very Java-esque, so I think you can pick it up just fine. Just open it up and browse through a few dozen sample scripts to get a feel for the syntax, what is/isn't an object, etc. Personally I find that much more useful than following mindless tutorials and memorizing lists of functions.

They mentioned a new scripting language called Papyrus, does anyone know where I can begin to learn more about it while waiting for the kit?

http://sleekupload.com/uploads/5/thm/papyrus_thm.jpg

It's definately good to see you can use external programs for scripting now too.

Looking at that picture,it doesn't look like they changed much. If anything its just more Java like than it was before.

On a interesting note, judging from the comments in that script that appears to be part of the Butterfly Script.

True, it doesn't look too different, but one thing I notice already is the absence of "set" in order to define values, which is a godsend. Also apparently, looking at a different screenshot (below), you can now have loops! That alone just makes me cry of joy. Before you had to use the Script Extender, so im glad this functionality has been addressed and implemented. Good job Bethesda!

http://sleekupload.com/uploads/5/thm/papyrus2_2_thm.jpg

Reminds me a lot of NWScript, which is a good thing. Say what you will about the game, but the modding tools are quite powerful there.

Yay, we have objects?! This should dramatically cut down on OMG CODE REUSE scenarios. Looking at the syntax, perhaps we even have recursion? That could be fun...

Talking as someone who has used TESScript for several years, I say that they changed it dramatically. (External code management using your own IDE, for one. I smell an Eclipse or NetBeans plugin in the not too far off future, which should be interesting).

Any OOP experience will be likely more than enough to get started on Papyrus.

Try the Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas kit's and check out that scripting language. This one will be based heavily on that, with changes to syntax. I would say so, yes, since I did relatively easily.

Yeah I will have to look into that when I have time, I did use the geck and construction kit alittle be never played with scripts. Making maps just always has seemed more fun lol

Finally, we’d like to thank all the modders who volunteered to beta test the Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop. Your feedback has been invaluable.

What the hell, "modders who volunteered"? I have never seen any kind of form to join in the testing...

Too much tease, too much...

I watched the preview and I was impressed. The game trailer for Skyrim was cool, but this... this preview is EPIC! The CK seemingly has everything that was missing in previous kits... I hope it won't be released before the 12th, that's when I come home from Rome, but I guess I'll just take my laptop with me just in case :D

I would LOVE to be able to use Eclipse.. but I'm hoping that the CK compiler will be good as is!

Edit:

I watched the preview and I was impressed. The game trailer for Skyrim was cool, but this... this preview is EPIC! The CK seemingly has everything that was missing in previous kits... I hope it won't be released before the 12th, that's when I come home from Rome, but I guess I'll just take my laptop with me just in case :D

It peeves me when people say this. Why?? So that nobody gets a head-start on you? What does it matter, really?

In another thread someone said that they better not release the CK during the superbowl because it'll put the american modders at a disadvantage. :wallbash: :facepalm:

Edited by PaladinRider