Where is Mrs. Stormcloack, Ulfric's Wife?

CyrusAmell

Why doesn't Ulfric have a wife? A Queen?

This might not have occurred to anyone but it did to me recently. Ulfric Stormcloack is not young; indeed his records put him in the 40-50 range if he was 20 when he fought in the Great War. As the Jarl of one of the most powerful holds in Skyrim he is also one of the most eligible bachelors around. Indeed, a marriage to a well-positioned woman of means would have been a smart political move that could have helped his rebellion. Also, a King needs heirs in the event that he dies doing, oh I don't know, leading the charge into the enemy capital.

There are three reasons I can conjecture for this phenomenon.

1. He is gay.

This is actually not a good excuse because, unlike your regular guy who can decide he doesn't need the company of women to enjoy his mead, procreating is technically in the job description for being a Jarl or King (comes with the powers and responsibilities). Plenty of European Kings, good ones I might add, that have been inclined to enjoying relationships with men have still gone on to have children. However, this serves as a reason for him to put it off for as long as he did (if he survived your game that is).

2. He has no time.

What with trying to beat off the Empire and preparing to fight the Thalmor he may not have been inclined to settle. You can even imagine him stoically exclaiming

"I shall take no wife, nor shall I father children, until my countrymen are free to do such without fear of the Empire or the Thalmor breaking down their doors and taking it all away from them! Only when Skyrim is free shall I be free to wed.

That would sound wonderful with his voice actor. If he is waiting for the time to do so then after the moot and his ascension to High King would be perfect. Of course there is always the likeliest answer of all…

3. Bethesda did not care.

Beyond giving him a good voice actor and a small history transcript concerning his time with the Greybeards and in the Great War Bethesda did nothing to flesh him out as a character. His father was mentioned briefly but we do not even know his name. It just was not in their agenda in the time leading up the the games release to make deep characters that were as likely to be killed by the players as not.

An alternative explanation is that it was felt that Ulfric would garner too much sympathy if he had a wife and family. It would have been Balgruf the Greater all over again only this time you would have to kill him. That is a lot of pressure to put on a players decision making, and so leaving Ulfric without a family was both easier on the dev team and removed one more barrier of hesitation that might stop a player from bringing about his demise.

What do you guys think?

Edited by CyrusAmell

Depth of everything is an issue with this game.

Everything wows you for about 20 mins then you realise you have finished it.

Factions have their backgrounds grouped up in books, places and things people say but I don't think off the top of my head there is a single individual person in the game that has a great amount of depth.

It's really just an epic world full of 3 line manequins

Edited by worldofscotty

Depth of everything is an issue with this game.

Everything wows you for about 20 mins then you realise you have finished it.

Factions have their backgrounds grouped up in books, places and things people say but I don't think off the top of my head there is a single individual person in the game that has a great amount of depth.

It's really just an epic world full of 3 line manequins

Well put.

I dont think he is gay..he is to straight to be gay xD But Well, when has he had the time really? Grows up, goes into the great war, put in a Thalmor dungeon then escapes and tries to free skyrim? No one with common sense would go 'Hey, we are in the middle of a war!....ima go find a wife." A wife/marriage is probably the least thing on his mind. Plus if he is about to do he could always declare someone not related to be his heir (*coughDovahkiincough*)

I dont think he is gay..he is to straight to be gay xD But Well, when has he had the time really? Grows up, goes into the great war, put in a Thalmor dungeon then escapes and tries to free skyrim? No one with common sense would go 'Hey, we are in the middle of a war!....ima go find a wife." A wife/marriage is probably the least thing on his mind. Plus if he is about to do he could always declare someone not related to be his heir (*coughDovahkiincough*)

For your first part I am offended, some of the manliest guys I know are gay. On another note, there was a 30 year lull between the Great War and now which, although violent, only picked up when Ulfric killed the High King. And lastly, ya that would be cool but unlikely.

No one with common sense would go 'Hey, we are in the middle of a war!....ima go find a wife."

The Dragonborn would.

Epic score.

Edited by CyrusAmell