Skyrim Workshop on steam VS nexus?

mclericp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just grown used to nexus. I know it and can control every step of my processes, also, nexus at the moment is just far superior. Even if it wasn't I'd still be using nexus on sheer principle.

I barely tolerate a Steam that's both set in Offline mode and locked down behind a firewall - I haven't even installed the latest patch yet. Nexus Mod Manager is also locked down behind a firewall, to be fair, I also barely tolerate it's requirement that I have a nexusmods login.

Nexus Mod Manager, allows me to download mods on one machine (perhaps a live CD, perhaps a VM that doesn't save anything between restarts, perhaps a netbook, etc.), and simply move the files to the machine I play Skyrim on. This is valuable to me. The load order changing is valuable to me. NMM telling me that Mod A wants to change files that Mod B already changed, do I want to let it do so for the entire folder, is very valuable to me.

Bethesda could learn from Egosoft and its X series, which strongly supports its own modding community (which, just like the Nexus community, is amazing), and offers both Steam and non-Steam versions of their games, so that their players have the choice.

I do hope that new modders also become exposed to Nexus, and place their mods here; I have no intention whatsoever of letting Steam modify my game except, just maybe, to let it download official patches.

Thank you to all who have contributed to the Nexus mods, and the Nexus Mod Manager!

• 2 weeks later...

Steam Workshop -> Simple mods for new mod users

Nexus -> more complex mods needing more experianced mod users

comparing the 2 is apple and oranges as they are for 2 different audiences

• 11 months later...

Nexus is better I can install any mod that I downloaded from any source. beside it has a nice installer that allows us to select what we only want to install.

I think it's better people stay away from SWS because I feel like they are going to make a monopoly in gaming industry. Monopoly is a bad thing because then businesses can manipulate people as they want and they can even make people helpless because they know if a particular customer leaves them s/he has no better place to go. don't let valve to handle everything in the gaming industry. now they sell games I think it's more than enough. let the Nexus to handle the mods. so we are free from capitalism monsters.

Bethesa missed the point with their workshop. They assumed the "click and play" mentality would seduce PC players but they were wrong. This belongs to console players. Most PC users are tinkerers and tweakers. So they prefer Nexus. :) Edited by Aureus

Bethesa missed the point with their workshop. They assumed the "click and play" mentality would seduce PC players but they were wrong. This belongs to console players. Most PC users are tinkerers and tweakers. So they prefer Nexus. :smile:

I think it was more of Steam's idea than BethSoft's, seeing as how they use Workshop for other games and released the Space Core mod to get people inspired. I also think that Workshop's a lot easier for newbie modders to get their heads around. But inevitably Nexus shall always be superior.

Bethesa missed the point with their workshop. They assumed the "click and play" mentality would seduce PC players but they were wrong. This belongs to console players. Most PC users are tinkerers and tweakers. So they prefer Nexus. :smile:

I think it was more of Steam's idea than BethSoft's, seeing as how they use Workshop for other games and released the Space Core mod to get people inspired. I also think that Workshop's a lot easier for newbie modders to get their heads around. But inevitably Nexus shall always be superior.

Bethsoft or Steam... Does it matter ?

As for the workshop being easier for new users, yes. But you don't even learn the basics of mod installing with the Workshop as the process is completly automatic.

Yeah it matters. You're casting blame on one of them, might as well get it right.

And as for the automatic factor, that is more convenient for people. If that's what they like, fine. But if not, they'll quickly notice the lack of customization, inevitable problems and tendency to receive updates at much later dates than Nexus, so they'll switch over.