mod upload comments blog style

jaysus

just a quick brainstorm while i look inside my empty pot of coffee :(

anyway, yeah, the comments of file uploads can really get confusing and nobody really checks them after more than when they wanna say somin, but its not nice to read.. even with the mod authors post being highlighted quite effectively as of now by that borderboxframething

so what i suggest would be to make it like a blog, the mod authors simply making blogs if they want to have a say, and the users being able to post below each blog... removing the whole discussion tab...

a short index on the right, instead of the blog dates (which i hate) titles of each blog comment, mod author can adjust if its always the newest 5 blog entries or some specific ones like FAQs

predefined always existing, always clickable blog entries like FAQs, Readme, Discussion, Requests, etc... that can stay void but will be the place where users can post until mod authors make new blog entries and allow comments on

ok back to...wahtever it is i do... gotta hurry... gotta hurry

I was asking about if it always was that case that you were able to down-rep a mod's author till his post gets hidden in his own comments section a while ago already, as to me it resembles just another way of trolling, "hidden" trolling as nobody knows who did that, but still trolling (I mean, seriously? Silence a mod author in his comments? Come on!), and was not only answered that it wasn't that way before, but also it was never intended to ever be that way to begin with, and it's on the to-do list of things to get fixed now. So in future this'll be a non-issue.

On topic, I don't know if turning the comments sections into blogs will really prevent this from happening though. Of course, if the initial blog article can't get repped/hidden to begin with, they're of course safe from that, but considering how I'm usually doing discussions with my users, I'll not be posting up in the opening article "only" but also regularly below it in answers. Those posts of mine then again won't be protected at all and it didn't help much in the long run.

Maybe I'm clueless about what really makes a "blog" (well, I'm having a website done in WordPress, so this "should" be a blog), but apart from the opening article, is there anything different to us being able to open up new discussion tabs already now anyways?

This feature for example was already discussed some time ago, and the usual consensus is, whatever new sections you introduce, most people will stick to using the one-and-only "comments" section regardless anyways, if only because they're used to do so for a long time now.

But as I said, maybe I'm not getting what exactly makes a "blog" in this regard.

Everything which helps making discussions and comments easier maintainable is a good thing on my bill. It's likely just me not getting what you're aiming at here. :sweat:

sry 4 the late reply

what i meant was something that looks like those webpages called "blogs"... basicly a row in the middle of the screen, boxes stacked vertically above each other inside of it,

each box containing a mod authors post, maybe a screenshot, a title, comments, can be expanded

on the right of that "news" frame is a row with "hot topics", most discussed, most viewed, favorited by the mod author, etc posts linking to those boxes i mentioned above

...damn i should draw that lol...

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6103/29647967.jpg

that thing basicly replacing the comments... right side adjustable on author side

could be horizontal rows too... to conform more with the current page setup with that top nav bar above, vertical might work better with the adds tho

Edited by jaysus

Hmm, so it's structured exactly like my WordPress website.

That actually could have some uses. There's no apparent default location for commenting, like it's the case with separate additional mod discussion tabs now, so people "have to" choose first, no "keep posting at the default location as one's used to do that", which was the major contra point when such a set of predefined posting areas in a mod's discussions was last discussed. Blog-like such as shown here it could actually work for once.

Now it's only bound to be a massive change to the site's design and inner workings first though. But it's definitely some food for thoughts and further discussing.