Would anyone be interested in?

elleonblanco

Nexus Community Designed RPG  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Since we already have one of the most talented nodding communities would anyone be interested in a community generated RPG?

• Yes very. It would be interesting to see what the talented folks in the community could build.
    • Moderately interested as keeping a development group together and organized would be a problem.
    • Not interested at all because I have better things to do.
  2. 2. Would you be interested in entering a discussion about it?

• Count me in. I am always looking to polish my skills.
    • I like modding but have no interest in game development.
    • I don't know anything about modding or coding but would be willing to help with ideas and the like.
    • Stick it in your ear it will be a total waste of time.

Well, at first you should gather some "World" Ideas. The problem with many people hathering for a completely new project is the whole f***ing load of ideas. Everybody wants his idea to be taken.

One should get in the leader position atm and say something like "send me all ya ideas for a world you've got." and then he gathers them for a week or so. Then he makes a thread and all ideas are posted (obvious the troll ideas not). With much luck you get a good consens and bam you've got your idea.

Then you get some story people and let them write for a week or so. Again a thread and you have a story and you can pick out the people with best writing. As it is there are a many people who claim to are good writers. Also you should try to get at least one person with nearly perfect spelling and grammar abilities. he should make the gramma nazi.

then you need f***ing many artists and stick the writers and artists together and let them do something. At that time you should gather the people for modelling and level editing. ya need some basics to start with. What is the standard way to code something? Which file types are we using? Everyone has the tools for using that type? What mood and color settings we use?

I think at hobby projects it's best to split people in teams. So perhaps you have a story person, an artist, a modeller and a level editor guy together and they make maybe that town. Leader talks with the people and switches positions at the teams. so you see which guy is good and who fits together well.

Perhaps the first few things you've done so far can be thrown away then. You need to make a Story path. The Story People should have some clue of a story by now. When does the bad evil person attacks the main guy. When do you arrive at city 1. What do you need to do there. Etc stuff.

Now you take you teams and get them to the story parts. To get all people out and make a World is another way but i think it's very hard for not-professionals to do that. Best imho is tho stick a team to a part of the world/story. So team 1 makes the intro and the first town you enter. team 2 goes from there and makes town 2 and the story part there.

For the land around the towns you should also get a team. More people perhaps there for level-building.

It may look like you need many people, but effictivly it can be handled by two teams. team 1 makes story and towns and team 2 the area around. that would be ~10 people?

the teams should have a team leader who stays in contact with the leader. Also there should be meetings regulary. There all people should gather and give in there opinion and have a look at what the other people did. Of course main talking people also would be the team leaders because it would be a huge chaos if everybody talks like he minds.

Also a forum is needed. There you can gather and look at the work of other people and get to know each other. Also the leader is important to listen to complaints and the like. Perhaps you even need two extra people just for "talking stuff". Ya know. If team 1 is mainly in australia and team 2 is in europe and the two need to talk together because of team 1 needs to connect their stuff to team 2, it's the leader or asistant who must manage a meeting. Even perhaps talk with team 1 and then relay it all to team 2.

Oh and 2 assitants because of the veto rule. Perhaps people decide that the way the project goes is bad. A leader and a assistant may not see this. But with 2 assistants it's higher chance of getting seen.

a i stop talking now. I think the most i've said is really clear. But perhaps some guys don't see the f***ing dimension of such a project. A itsy bitsy mod is quick done. But a big project => big work. Perhaps you may look at Command and Conquer: Renegade X. The guys worked with the UDK to create a big mod remake of Renegade. The did much work. But in my opinion the game is not very good. Ya know, bad immersion and bad KI and that stuff.

im out

I started creating an RPG about 10 years ago. It is set in the modern day, has nothing to do with Skyrim or TES type games. I have a huge 3 ring binder full of concept art, gadgets, puzzles, a new religion I created, complete with 10 new deities, among other things. The different playing areas (a slaughterhouse and a scary small town carnival being two of those :tongue: ) and story line are complete with the lineage of the main characters traced back to the 1500's. Started the walk through and got busy with other things, so it remains a diamond that needs to be polished into fruition.

All this said not to brag, but to say, if we attempted something like this- a community driven game, I'd like to see us do something totally different, like Stevedog talked about. Life can be hectic, but if the idea and development/coordination pieces could be worked out, I'd be game to participate. It would be very awesome to achieve something like that as a community driven team!

I'm glad to see that there is a real interest in this, and as the project grows any info released should gather more interest. I think the best way to proceed would be to open a thread to look for ideas/concepts of what the forums users want and then put links to that thread in the signature blocks of the people involved.

This is a great idea and I feel the sooner something tangible can be produced the better chance you have of keeping a good group together. Even if it is just a

and not actually playable.

Anyway, I'm Stevedog and I can write (story line, dialogue and code). I'd be willing to help out any way I can.