(REQUEST) The Musket as a Wasteland weapon.

iSillySausage

First of all, this is my first post, because i saw that NO ONE posted this topic. like J.H. Eden would say "let's go on with something 'rather important'"

My question is: Why is a n00b Player lvl 3 with not even a house holding a 10mm pistol right at the start of the game, picking up some dirt and caps to build a Rock-It-Launcher?

My idea was to give this best RPG of all times a REAL wasteland weapon... a gun, as easy as effective.

My idea they should be 4 types of muskets in game.

They will all have only one shot, the reload time will be long, and the damage will be devastating!

they will be cartridge rifles of course, with .32 ammo, for example.

- Homemade Musket: A gun made under desperate conditions. only a barrel, a stock of wood, and some tape to fix it.

How to aqquire: first blueprint in-game you will get. Lead pipe, Wrench, Metal Scrap and Turpentine are needed to build this.

Damage: 30 points

Accuracy: ridiculous. you would be more accurate with throwing only the bullets onto your target.

- Musket: A gun worn by raiders and mercenaries, but also by the common force

How to aqquire: Loot or buy (if possible)

Damage: 50 points

Accuracy: average, like a bb gun on small arms 10 ;)

- THE UNIQUE WEAPON: Civil War Musket

How to aqquire: loot history museum.

Damage: 100 points (need to be able to take a raider with one shot)

Accuracy: because civil war guns were rifled weapons, i would give it the same accuracy as a hunting rifle, but a higher chance of weapon jam.

- Blunderbuss: this could be a Bonus to the Musket pack, shooting shotgun shells and working as a melee additional.

Nice idea,but there is one problem: I SUCK at graphic editing, and lincolns repeater es no alternative.

IF a talented modder who is good in model editing and scripting, i will personally beg him to spend his free time to do this for me and all the others.

if you are ready, post the link to the file please.

thanks for readin, and give feedback or ideas!

My question is: Why is a n00b Player lvl 3 with not even a house holding a 10mm pistol right at the start of the game, picking up some dirt and caps to build a Rock-It-Launcher?

Well... probably because he stole it out of a locker... or off the dead body of a security guard on his way out of the vault :mellow:

My question about the muskets is... why would they be devastating? From what I understand, muskets were under-powered and very innaccurate. Also, didn't you have to stand still to reload them? Honestly sounds like a terrible weapon that only the most desperate, down-on-his-luck, capless wastelander would use.

That said, I'm sure there would have to be a musket laying around somewhere in the wasteland, and it might have a lot of value to someone... maybe it's a long-lost family heirloom... or the museum in rivet city might give you some caps for it.

• 2 weeks later...

look, mate.

Musket shot has 11 - 17 cm (european measure) bullet and 50-100 grains gunpowder. it would kill you with one shot! because lead splinters in the body, making horrible cluster damage

so stop wondering why there were no field hospitals in 400 years of musketery !!!

Yes, they are inaccurate. BUT thats why i want to have them balanced with damage, to keep it worthy of carrying such a gun.

(by the way: IT IS possible to reload a musket while walking, you are just unable to run!)

By the way, i accept your criticism.

look, mate.

Musket shot has 11 - 17 cm (european measure) bullet and 50-100 grains gunpowder. it would kill you with one shot! because lead splinters in the body, making horrible cluster damage

so stop wondering why there were no field hospitals in 400 years of musketery !!!

Yes, they are inaccurate. BUT thats why i want to have them balanced with damage, to keep it worthy of carrying such a gun.

(by the way: IT IS possible to reload a musket while walking, you are just unable to run!)

By the way, i accept your criticism.

some idea for history background ... well for low level raiders , they could use old break rifles to make single shot rifles and when this is not possible they could take the barrel and make a musket as you want.

shoting at point blank would be good as any gun, but past 10 m the acuracy will be as good as a blind men shooting a magnum 500 at first time.

but with the actual system of damage you would be able to kill someone in a power armor with a musket . it would be hilarious

• 2 weeks later...

You all know that the "lower-level" Musket would be a pipe on a stock, eh?

You all know that the best Musket would be a 1861 rifled Springfield Masterpiece, eh?

so, you can say about accuracy what you want, but a barrel of a good civil-war era weapon (1860-1865) was as good as modern weapons have. In fact, there were NO differences between the barrel of a 1853 Enfield rifled Pattern and a SMLE no.4 rifle, if you do not mention the calibre.

as you can see, the lead pipe would not be as good as the barrel, but it would show a bullet the way to the target.

you are all talking about muskets if they were so inaccurate if you could not hit a barn door at a range of 50 yards. i accept criticism, but i must say this is nonsense.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the later british made muskets (guy above me said the name already) that were used on both sides of the civil war would be incredible in this game. Perhaps we could only get them in museums, all over point lookout and in arlington cemetery if you go grave robbing, make the shitty ones ourselves, and i like the idea of the unique civil war one

• 2 months later...

Muskets were faster to load then siege crossbows and packed a punch with a very large lead ball. Also less training was needed to fire the blasted things then for a bow. However - except for a few very slow loading pieces like the Bakers Rifle - Their barrels were not rifled... So they rarely hit their target at more then 80 yards, though at 40 yards or so they were killers.

The ball was not very aerodynamic and would often shoot wide, while the pan flash and the fierce kick of the weapon could cause a lot of shots to shoot too high. This didn't really matter though as the ball would drop quickly and they were often brought to bear against huge blocks of infantry...

"Ooops I missed my target but that's Ok because I killed the guy next to him... Three rows down... Not that I can really tell anyway as there is too much smoke to see who's who and I'm too busy reloading..."

Having said all that - It would be really cool if there was a mod that introduced a whole heap of these as home made, barrel loading pipe guns that belched lots and lots of smoke. In a land where the most likely weapon found was an inaccurate, slow firing musket... Even a 10mm Pistol is king... Provided it's raining.

• 7 months later...

In North america, Roger's Rangers were even capable of reloading while prone. they hid all of their musket balls in there mouthes, and spit them into the barrell of their guns (after pouring powder down first). Then they primed the pans and shot. I like the idea, but can this be done in an awesome manner. They had rifles with rifling, ex. the kentucky rifle, the pennsylvanian rifle, etc. which reloaded twice as long as a musket, about ounce every thirty seconds but was more accurate. Muskets reloaded about every fifteen seconds until dirty. But were less accurate. If this gets done please include calibers