Creation kit render window

I also haven'tread the entire thread as two things have jumped out at me from the OPs initial post and neither have anything to do with the CK.
1. You state you have 16GB of RAM. In my experience, that’s really not a lot for the kind of work involved in using the CK or any such applications. I’m not surprised you’re having performance issues in the CK with only 16GB.
Keep in mind that the CK uses all of the game assets, including any non-vanilla textures and you have installed and activated. If you have HD textures in use for your game, the CK will pull those in and use them potentially using up more system resources.
On it’s own the CK is a a real resource hog. With nothing else running but this web browser I’m writing this into, I have the Hangeman’s Alley cell loaded up (FensRaiderCampExt) and I’m using 15% of my systems RAM. But I have 48GB. My GPU is using over 6GB of the 8GB total my GTX 1070 has. But I have lots of the aforementioned replacement textures installed and some of those are 2K and 4K. I had similar performance with my GTX 970 before I upgraded.
The CK uses a lot of resources to do it’s thing, and with all the overhead that Windoze uses I just don’t see 16GB as optimal for it. Throw some more RAM into your machine. I’m sure that will help with things in general, not just the CK.
Also, if your running the CK from a spinning HDD as opposed to an SSD, that will impact performance as well.
2. This line stuck out from your original post, bold emphasis is mine:

i have 4 gb card and latest driver., anyway have fix it with HKEY_LM changing, so now it randomly ctd when i'm trying to save mod

Is that some sort of registry hack you had to do to get your video card to work? If yes, that might be part of the problem, if not the root cause.

I also haven'tread the entire thread as two things have jumped out at me from the OPs initial post and neither have anything to do with the CK.
1. You state you have 16GB of RAM. In my experience, that’s really not a lot for the kind of work involved in using the CK or any such applications. I’m not surprised you’re having performance issues in the CK with only 16GB.
Keep in mind that the CK uses all of the game assets, including any non-vanilla textures and you have installed and activated. If you have HD textures in use for your game, the CK will pull those in and use them potentially using up more system resources.
On it’s own the CK is a a real resource hog. With nothing else running but this web browser I’m writing this into, I have the Hangeman’s Alley cell loaded up (FensRaiderCampExt) and I’m using 15% of my systems RAM. But I have 48GB. My GPU is using over 6GB of the 8GB total my GTX 1070 has. But I have lots of the aforementioned replacement textures installed and some of those are 2K and 4K. I had similar performance with my GTX 970 before I upgraded.
The CK uses a lot of resources to do it’s thing, and with all the overhead that Windoze uses I just don’t see 16GB as optimal for it. Throw some more RAM into your machine. I’m sure that will help with things in general, not just the CK.
Also, if your running the CK from a spinning HDD as opposed to an SSD, that will impact performance as well.

i have 4 gb card and latest driver., anyway have fix it with HKEY_LM changing, so now it randomly ctd when i'm trying to save mod

Is that some sort of registry hack you had to do to get your video card to work? If yes, that might be part of the problem, if not the root cause.

yes, it' was a videocards switching glitch, u know, when they switching screen comes black for some second., but with CK what was switch and then stuck / bluescreen., anyway, solution at bottom of 1th page )

about low RAM., so, how to explain ), i'm poor designer from poor Russia with a poor laptop, and i have no a lot of money to buy it better), but i like to make mod too mutch., so, this way i'm looking for not expencive solution, for excample to setup creation kit for higher perfomance)

"When you are rich, use wealth. When poor - use poverty. Be practical" © Osho :tongue:

Edited by JagMaker

yes, it' was a videocards switching glitch, u know, when they switching screen comes black for some second., but with CK what was switch and then stuck / bluescreen., anyway, solution at bottom of 1th page )

about low RAM., so, how to explain ), i'm poor designer from poor Russia with a poor laptop, and i have no a lot of money to buy it better), but i like to make mod too mutch., so, this way i'm looking for not expencive solution, for excample to setup creation kit for higher perfomance)

"When you are rich, use wealth. When poor - use poverty. Be practical" © Osho :tongue:

If you aren't making a mod that edits the worldspace, you can do a lot of what is needed using FO4Edit (TES5Edit for Skyrim, FNVEdit for New Vegas, etc..). Of course, the fact that you are asking about the render window means you probably are making that kind of mod, and while you technically can still do so using FO4Edit, it's much harder (as you could only place things by coordinates).

That said, I haven't had any issues with the CK and I have 16GB (and a 4GB graphics card, the GTX 970). Sure, it gets a little laggy when I have the CK, 20+ tabs in Chrome, and Fallout 4 open at the same time, but it doesn't crash and the CK is usually only using 2-3 GB, so I would disagree with 16 GB being too low. Maybe for an actual current-gen game engine it would be a little low (for editing large worldspaces), but not the CK.

The only problem I have ever had with the CK crashing is when I delete a face tint category from the Race record, but that's a result of the CK being a half-assed, incredibly crippled version of the actual software they use to make the game, not a result of low memory.

Edit: I do use a SSD, and don't have a ton of high-res textures installed, so if you do I'd recommend renaming your Data\texture folder while working in the CK. High-res textures are almost certainly the reason RedRocketTV's GPU is being used so heavily.

@Vlits

"The only problem I have ever had with the CK crashing is when I delete a face tint category from the Race record, but that's a result of the CK being a half-assed, incredibly crippled version of the actual software they use to make the game, not a result of low memory."

I can almost guarantee a crash if going in actor record, and then from traits to stats to traits. But that's about it (at least in the recent few Creation Kit versions). <shrug>

"Edit: I do use a SSD, and don't have a ton of high-res textures installed, so if you do I'd recommend renaming your Data\texture folder while working in the CK."

That's actually a darn good idea.

Unless, of course, your going to doing something that requires Creation Kit to pull from it like accessing some custom textures for the mod currently working on.

I won't say 16gb is too low either, but there does seem to be a significant performance gain from going to 32.

But that's beside the point, as the OP has clearly stated their reasonable reasons for sticking to 16 after the suggestion was made. =)

SSD's seem to be the other item that will garner the greatest gains.

• 1 month later...

Have solve it with cut-off Normal and Diffuse maps from vanilla textures, and also have reduce their size 4 times)

This way all textures weight was reduced from 13,6gb to 96mb, and now render window works much faster :tongue:

ps. if someone need it, i can upload

Edited by JagMaker