A little opinion on realism

ThomasCovenant

I remember many years ago being taught that a trip to the cinema or theatre involved something called "voluntary suspension of disbelief".

I think that Skyrim falls into the same category.

I'm fully prepared to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy fighting dragons, exploring dungeons, and shouting so loudly that it blows people off of their feet!!

It is after all, an RPG, not a real-life simulator - I don't need one of those!!! :thumbsup:

Medieval armor wasn't actually that heavy nor particularly difficult to put on. Most actual combat plate armor weighed roughly 45 pounds, which is less than a modern soldier's combat load. Granted, people weren't quite as strong back then, but you can do quite a bit with 50-70 pounds of weight on you, especially if it's evenly distributed around your body and primarily supported by your hips.

But yeah, "realism" in video games is pointless unless it's a fun gameplay mechanic. If we wanted a realistic, say, modern military shooter about 90% of the game would be spent walking around in the woods and many players would never even see a single enemy. But that isn't as fun as the completely unrealistic rush of fighting that is your typical Modern Warfare campaign.

I'll take dragons and fast travel over walking slowly for hours without any combat, thanks.

I bet that little ant in the backyard thinks it has it's universe all pretty much figured out also. Humans must be the most arrogant species on the planet or off. Science is founded on THEORIES that arrogant people use as FACTS. Nothing more than another form of Religion IMO or should I say IN MY THEORY if that makes it sound more science like.

Actually, a theory is considered a fact by all scientists trained well enough in the discipline being discussed to deserve an opinion. I can't tell if you are confusing the meanings of theory and hypothesis, or just don't believe anything in science. Whatever you mean, you're on at least as high a horse as any scientist with your assertion of your opinion. Regardless, your disbelief in this scientific theory or that scientific theory will have zero affect on the opinions of trained scientists. One of the major problems faced by modern science is making the work understandable by the average person. When a scientist chooses to publish an article in a non-scientific journal, the nuts come out of the woodwork. They usually argue from a position of personal increduluity. They never consider that they chose not to get enough education to understand the theory. Studied ignorance is no solution for the problems facing the world. I guess I had better climb off my high horse, now.

As for the OP, I play a fantasy game for entertainment value. I see posts all the time complaining about the graphics, the shadows, the way the grass waves and various other BS. The only complaint I have about Skyrim is that occaisionally, a quest sticks and is hard to unstick. For me, the graphics are fine, the lightness and darkness of the sky are fine and most of the other stuff everyone is complaining about is fine. If you want to get technical about the armor, the weights assigned by the programmers are a little high compared to a real set of armor. In the game, I never wear closed helmets because I have had one on and would NEVER, EVER wear one of the things to a real fight. You can't see anything. If you really want to be realistic, when you wear one of those stinking things, you should be forced to 1st person view and only see two tiny slivers of the world until you take it off, which I predict would be PDQ.