Fallout 4 stopped working for me

Jaydz225

I don't know why but Fallout 4 started crashing on me. I thought it was one of my mods but even when I disabled all of them, it still crashed.

I've tried:

Reinstalling Fallout 4

Verifying game cache

Changing the Fallout4Prefs.ini

Changing my resolution

Setting compatibility to Windows 8 or 7(Since I upgraded to Windows 10 when this started)

Updating graphics drivers

Rebooting my PC

Setting it to use beta versions

Removing Steam Overlay

It's just annoying that I didn't have this issue before and it's the only game.

P,S. It started onece or twice after a few methods but couldn't consistently open.

If it's related to mods you use, then you have to uninstall them, not disable them. Then you can install one at time, and test in-game to help you narrow it down to which mod is causing the crash.

This. You really need to uninstall the mod to have the best chance. Even then it may not work.

Try to verify the files before you reinstall the game, that could work too. Good luck.

Thanks for your comments. I got it running after setting the process to High priority in Task manager. However the window doesn't fill the entire screen and trying to change it thorugh the launcher starts the problem again(Had to verify to get back to running ) so I might try changing the Fallout4Prefs.ini file.

you should also turn OFF Cloud in steam if you haven't already done so, it can and WILL royally screw up your game by replacing any files you have deleted or edited with originals it saved the very first time you ran the game. SO basically, if you made ANY .INI edit's Cloud will at some point replace those edited INI's with the originals it saved lol

This can lead to some VERY aggravating moments when you start to realize that you have over 1 GB JUST in your save folder and wonder why you're restarting the game from an earlier point of where you last saved lol :P

Yes, I AM talking from personal experience lol :P

So far I've managed to put mods back in. The only thing is the size of the window. When I try to fix it by esiting the H and W in the FalloutPrefs file, the game acts like i smashed it with a hammer and always crashes on startup so I end up having to verify in order to take it back to where I started. I'm looking at using a window size tool to do it but they require dragging it by the border and I can't really do that with the cursor otherwise it shifts into the game. Any suggestions of tools that can do it without dragging or right clicking the border or another way of going around it?