Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

I'll will talk to BetaVirus, I didn't know his nexus name be we do talk on Beth.net when one or the other of us isn't getting banned. :dance:

The building I seem to have issues with is one of my custom ones which is a combination of Bld02CornerBrickACom01 and Bld02CornerBrickACom01RR. you can't use the stairs and sometimes can walk through walls.

Like I said it's not hard to fix, I just have to re-generate the cell with the issue all by itself but, it's annoying and thought I might be causing the issue somehow.

When you say you have to regenerate the cell by itself, do you mean you do a full gen, then gen just that cell again?

just the trouble cell not for the entire mod,

• Generate new Pre-combined for cell 13,4 again, (this seems to be the one I always have the issue in)
  • Clean cell with xEdit Scipt again,
  • Generate Pre-Vis again,
  • Fixed.

I think Bethesda has rewritten the definition of convolution. Good to know but, thanks. I wonder what the hell is the difference in doing that.

My only guess is how the cells load, by that I mean if I load (only examples from my experience) commonwealth 13,1 Do my generations and then jump to commonwealth 13,4 I first have to wait for the objects to draw and even then after waiting 10 min. generation can fail.

It's quite possibly my potato PC I can't say but, I hadn't had this issue until recently and it seems to be in very specific locations for me at least.

I didn't have this issue in Concord or Cambridge and they have a lot more draw calls then Easy City Down.

Strange. I'll have to test this further eventually as well, but it would seem odd for it to skimp out on something due to low performance.

Edit to the first post (repost so you can see it), with the example you gave above, you said you starting from 13,1, is that at 5 ugrids? Technically 13,4 wouldn't be loaded at 5 ugrids. Just a thought there. In you case is probably better to do that cell alone then go to 7 grids though.

It was a 5 Ugrids but this is always the way I've done it and it's always worked until recently. This all started after I was doing an update that added a compatibility setting for the Bunker 13 mod. This mod happens to edit part of Concord.

I suddenly started getting reports about issues in Easy City Downs after I updated my Pre-Combined patch. which make this even more confusing because I didn't edit those locations in the update.

This is my The Beantown Interiors Pre-Combined Pre-Vis Master Doc It lists every cell I've generated new Pre-combined for and where I generated new Pre-Vis. I have always done one town at a time so for example in Cambrige I start in -1,4 and generate pre-combineds to -6,5. I generate Pre-Vis at -3,4. In xEdit all is covered and looks correct with new Pre-Vis data.

Thanks for the doc. That is interesting that this effect occurred elsewhere, would you say there was anything obviously common about the affected cells in ECD and Concord? Any of your custom building etc? Just as a loose thought, I'm wondering if somehow these physics files are generating similar/same named files/paths internally and overwriting each other - and some gens are causing errors on these files. Something like this if you catch my drift. I haven't the extensive knowledge of the internals to troubleshoot this much either.

When I did your mod myself (the files I had provided you some time ago now) I took the lazy approach and did overlapping gens at various ugrid rates to make sure I caught everything. If you recall for example, I started at Cambridge at Kendall (02? cell, can't remember co-ords) and ran it at 11 grids, then moved over the Cambridge Crater and ran 7 grids, and then Bunker Hill at 5 grids, and then downtown centered over the bank near GN, another 7 grids (as an aside, I will attest performance was smoother across all of these regions over vanilla and I did not find any physics bugs, not that I looked too hard, but no where near the scale of some of the claims I've seen particularly around Beta's mod). Although this method results in long waiting times in generating and a metric tonne of useless precombined meshes, it seems to be the most consistent.

Oh and just in regard to an earlier post by using an Enable Parent, I'm not sure anyone would wanna go down that route, that will lead to persistence of a lot of things.

There wasn't anything obvious in common that I can think of. The two buildings are entirely different meshes. The ones in Concord used vanilla meshes for the building and the one in ECD was my custom one.

I do have one of the same custom buildings in Concord but it's not near the same cell I was editing.

I always do my generations at Ugrids 5 mostly because of my potatoes load times so I don't want to go higher. It's basically a glorified XBox at this point but, I can still use the Ckit and make mods. I'm just not at a point where I can upgrade so I'll deal with the long load times for now.

Yeah fair enough, I actually upgraded from my fast 3600 16GB RAM kit to the slightly slower 3200 32GB RAM kit, just to stabilise these generations. My word they can take up some RAM (I've got a screenshot somewhere where I managed to get CK to use 65GB of VRAM, all of my 1080ti 11GB, all of RAM, and nearly all page file). It runs a lot better now, minus the new CK (post 1.9.4) extra level of convolution (I still keep a 1.9.4 EXE though).