ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Slow Motion Effect in Melee?

RadiantWings

Is there a way to replicate the slowmo effect from Steady Hand Perk to close quarter melee?

Specifically, I need the effect to briefly kick in upon connecting with a weapon in order to simulate the hit delay mechanic found in a number of action games.

As of now, I've been stuck on this, and I hope that someone could shed light on the problem.

Thanks.

Is there a way to replicate the slowmo effect from Steady Hand Perk to close quarter melee?

Specifically, I need the effect to briefly kick in upon connecting with a weapon in order to simulate the hit delay mechanic found in a number of action games.

As of now, I've been stuck on this, and I hope that someone could shed light on the problem.

Thanks.

Hmmm, may have to wait for the CK to come out for that (2 days time). I think that the slow motion effect is just a simple script, so I'm sure someone would be happy to make it for you if you ask them nicely :wink:. I could be wrong, though.

There is also slow-mo perk in the blocking tree that is already used for CQ combat. Wait and see, it shouldn't be too hard.

What games have the slow-on-impact mechanic you mention? Do you mean a stun-lock? Cause you might not have to simulate that at all - Skyrim has the stun-lock mechanic too, you might just need to tweak it.

Edited by metasyntactic

There is also slow-mo perk in the blocking tree that is already used for CQ combat. Wait and see, it shouldn't be too hard.

What games have the slow-on-impact mechanic you mention? Do you mean a stun-lock? Cause you might not have to simulate that at all - Skyrim has the stun-lock mechanic too, you might just need to tweak it.

I guess I didn't explain my self.

In a nut shell, certain action games have a type of feedback mechanic where when certain melee attacks connect, there is a very brief period of slowmo before transitioning to the next attack - a sort of deliberate frame rate dip or lag. Most of the time it tends to be very subtle - often only a fraction of a second. However, the end result is that it lend the feeling of impact and weight to the attacks - and makes the melee feel more responsive.

It is not a game play mechanic - rather a purely aesthetic design choice.

It can be seen in a number of recent games including God of War, Kingdom of Amalur, and so forth. I believe a number of Capcom action games also make use of it.

Often, it is coupled with screen shake to emphasize the weight of the hit.

While using the slow down time effect in Skyrim isn't quite the same thing, I imagine it may produce similar results.

So right now, a mod called Deadly Combat allow a very minor stagger effect to be applied on every regular melee hit. What I want to do is to try the same thing, except with a weak slowmo effect.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Hopefully the CK can make this easier.

Edited by Radiant_Wings

MM made a great perk for slow motion power dodging for our vampire overhaul, so it is possible for melee combat, buuuuut I don't know how he did it.

Thanks Jakisthe!

It's essentially a copy of the QuickReflexes perk with some modified conditions.

Radiant, I would start there. Create a copy of the QuickReflexes perk. Remove the conditions for the perk under the Unkown 1, 2, and 3 list. It just controls when you can get the perk if it's used in the perk tree. Then, edit the 'Is attacking?' conditions.

Note: When you make those changes. the PRKC value indicates the functions reference. you MUST set a prkc value. On this particular effect type, 0 is the player, and 1 is the attacker.

So.... I don't know how you would get this to work on the moment two weapons come together. But you could, for instance, change the first condition that checks to see if the player is blocking to maybe

prkc: 0
Function: GetLastHitCritical
Operator: ==
Value: 1

Then, remove the IsPowerAttacking condition which checks to see if the attacker is power attacking.

This should trigger if the last hit was critical...but... if the last hit was a death hit AND critical you're slow time effect might stay active (unsure), so you might need to add some additional conditions to control it better. Take a look at http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes5Mod:Function_Indices for a list of all the functions (even though they're in skyedit too).

-MM