The Elder Scrolls: Tamriel

Apollyon84

This would be a huge undertaking, would take a very long time to complete, and would require the work of many different modders and types of modders. The following are the many ideas that I, and others may also have for making this "mod" a reality.

Overview

This overhaul mod would allow the player to travel to all parts of Tamriel with fully created cities, quests, items, NPCs, etc. Each race starts out in their own respective region (Dark Elves in Morrowind, High Elves in Sumerset Isle, Nords in Skyrim, etc.) The story will take them across all of Tamriel. If it is not possible to create Tamriel outside of what is currently available for Skyrim, there can be entrance points between regions that allow the player to enter and exit.

The Elderscrolls, or some form of magic item will allow a player to travel back in time, essentially allowing the player to replay previous Elder Scrolls games but updated to Skyrim. Enhanced detail will be given to creatures, races, and environment so the experience is beyond Skyrim vanilla. It will also be possible to visit these locations in "present time."

All weapons and armor from previous games will be included (bone armor, dai-katanas, etc.)

Extensive recoding of NPCs will be needed for previous games that do not use the current AI system. New vocal recordings will be needed to make NPCs in other regions have full dialog. Previous games' combat system will also be updated to Skyrim.

New clothes will need to be designed to each region. Each region has its own fashion. Races typically wear the fashion of the region, but their own race has their own fashion. The clothes need to fit the region; Argonian weather may dictate what they wear, while Redguard is completely different.

How This Mod Project Can Work

When you upload a mod for the project include "TES Tamriel Project" in the title. Before you upload your mod, perform a search for "TES Tamriel Project" to find any new mods that have been added. Any changes by another mod should then be included into your mod. Hopefully there will not be many conflicts between mods being made for this project. Higher quality mods will trump previous mods, but give credit to any original ideas from previous modders. Please include any conflicts or bugs when releasing your latest project mod.

Thoughts on Game Mechanics

Once the player travels back to a time period (Morrowind, Daggerfall, Time of the Dwemers or Snow Elves), it is possible they will be stuck there until completing the main quest of that time period. Traveling beyond that region within the time period may be blocked somehow to limit travel and the need to design regions for each time period. If it is the case that there needs to be enter and exit points between regions, this should be fairly easy to block off access.

There will be no level cap, and skills will advance past 100. Skill trees with perks will need to be changed somehow to accommodate this. Because of the extensive number of quests to be done across all of Tamriel and time periods, the cap will need to be lifted.

The game will start in Skyrim's current timeline with characters starting in their race's region or origin. From there, they will be able to complete quests in their region, or travel to other regions. Each region will have its own main quest. The exception to this is regions that have more than one time period will also have a main quest as per the original game. Within each region's main quest will be the ability to obtain the item that will allow time travel.

Partial List of Time Periods

Time of the Dwemers

Time of the Snow Elves

Morrowind

Daggerfall

Oblivion

Other time periods can be added, including important moments in Tamriel history.

Aspects from previous games not included today may implemented, such as a spell creation system.

Fast travel will be possible in other time periods, and the ability to turn it off completely for all time periods should be available. The same will be true for compass and quest markers. The current Journal system should be used.

Current mods may be used by permission such as those that enhance the inventory list, and the favorites list. The ability to create arrows should also be available.

Mod Additions

Fast-Exit: Points need to be added to Morrowind and other dungeon areas. This should be discreetly added, such as a door, trap-door, or short passageway to an exit.

Horse Combat: When riding a horse, pressing M1 does a front kick attack, M2 does a rear kick attack. Normal damage for horses should not be changed.

3 Rings: The ability to wear 3 rings, one on each index finger, and the third can only be the matrimony ring worn on the ring finger of the left hand.

Notes on Morrowind Update

Silt Striders are included, but horse carriages will not be. Stables to buy horses will be available in:

Ald'ruhn

Balmora

Sadrith Mora

Vivec

Mournhold (outside)

The list may be increased for more locations on the mainland of Morrowind. Different types of horses should be available for different regions. Skyrim has a stockier version, while other regions may have racing-type horses than can run faster.

Mages Guild travel should be allowed between regions that have a mage guild presence.

Boat Travel should be allowed between regions with accessibility to water, especially if the town or city has a port.

New dungeon creation can be as linear or non-linear as you like, but must have a Fast-Exit.

Blacksmiths should be added to cities and towns (like Skyrim has), mines should have ore veins and smelters outside if mine is active. Arrow creation should be available at forges in all regions.

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to include them, and I can update the OP.

Edited by Apollyon84

This would be a huge undertaking, would take a very long time to complete, and would require the work of many different modders and types of modders. The following are the many ideas that I, and others may also have for making this "mod" a reality.

Overview

This overhaul mod would allow the player to travel to all parts of Tamriel with fully created cities, quests, items, NPCs, etc. Each race starts out in their own respective region (Dark Elves in Morrowind, High Elves in Sumerset Isle, Nords in Skyrim, etc.) The story will take them across all of Tamriel. If it is not possible to create Tamriel outside of what is currently available for Skyrim, there can be entrance points between regions that allow the player to enter and exit.

The Elderscrolls, or some form of magic item will allow a player to travel back in time, essentially allowing the player to replay previous Elder Scrolls games but updated to Skyrim. Enhanced detail will be given to creatures, races, and environment so the experience is beyond Skyrim vanilla. It will also be possible to visit these locations in "present time."

All weapons and armor from previous games will be included (bone armor, dai-katanas, etc.)

Extensive recoding of NPCs will be needed for previous games that do not use the current AI system. New vocal recordings will be needed to make NPCs in other regions have full dialog. Previous games' combat system will also be updated to Skyrim.

New clothes will need to be designed to each region. Each region has its own fashion. Races typically wear the fashion of the region, but their own race has their own fashion. The clothes need to fit the region; Argonian weather may dictate what they wear, while Redguard is completely different.

Thoughts on Game Mechanics

Once the player travels back to a time period (Morrowind, Daggerfall, Time of the Dwemers or Snow Elves), it is possible they will be stuck there until completing the main quest of that time period. Traveling beyond that region within the time period may be blocked somehow to limit travel and the need to design regions for each time period. If it is the case that there needs to be enter and exit points between regions, this should be fairly easy to block off access.

There will be no level cap, and skills will advance past 100. Skill trees with perks will need to be changed somehow to accommodate this. Because of the extensive number of quests to be done across all of Tamriel and time periods, the cap will need to be lifted.

The game will start in Skyrim's current timeline with characters starting in their race's region or origin. From there, they will be able to complete quests in their region, or travel to other regions. Each region will have its own main quest. The exception to this is regions that have more than one time period will also have a main quest as per the original game. Within each region's main quest will be the ability to obtain the item that will allow time travel.

Partial List of Time Periods

Time of the Dwemers

Time of the Snow Elves

Morrowind

Daggerfall

Oblivion

Other time periods can be added, including important moments in Tamriel history.

Aspects from previous games not included today may implemented, such as a spell creation system.

Fast travel will be possible in other time periods, and the ability to turn it off completely for all time periods should be available. The same will be true for compass and quest markers. The current Journal system should be used.

Current mods may be used by permission such as those that enhance the inventory list, and the favorites list. The ability to create arrows should also be available.

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to include them, and I can update the OP.

you be best served by begining to recruit many modders for this. im sure there a hundreds or thousands of players who would support this, and its so huge, i think organizing labor is the best way to begin.

bravo for the vision. if bethesda isnt working on this, they would be crazy.

yah that would be a huge mod and its funny i was starting to think about the whole time travel thing right before i read it i was thinking something about time rifts at the borders of the provinces but anyways i like the idea of this mod and would love to help anyway i can i havent modded but im planning on taking lots of time learning the new scripting language because coding is my specialty and i dont know morrowind very well but i have a very extensive knowlegde of oblivion if that helps

This would undoubtedly be my "dream mod" as I have seen going around, but something this vast would have to just be impossible. If you played back in the Oblivion days, there was a very popular mod that added much of Elsweyr to the game and to my understanding that was even a huge task for the large development team. I guess you could have different teams for the different provinces and so on. But I am crossing my fingers for the large dlc for Skyrim released by Beth will be Morrowind and Cyrodiil in their current states as lore puts them. That would also be a big obstacle: the very limited amount of lore for the other provinces in general, not even considering what has been going on in the 4th era with many secession and things of that nature. I was surprised when I found out Skyrim wasn't the first province to try to secede from the Empire.

Great idea, I've thought of it many of times; but you've bit off a bit more than you can chew there... You're best leaving Bethesda to do it when a new gaming platform emerges from the void. But if you have confidence in yourself, go for it, I will support you all the way :tongue:

Great idea, I've thought of it many of times; but you've bit off a bit more than you can chew there... You're best leaving Bethesda to do it when a new gaming platform emerges from the void. But if you have confidence in yourself, go for it, I will support you all the way :tongue:

This was more to encourage others to take up the project and give them a general outline of what could be included in it. I like to think of myself as an "ideas man." Even without the Construction Set, I've seen some really good mods thus far. I forgot to include this idea in the OP, but my thought was to somehow create a wikimod where all developers could contribute in a small or big way to the overall project without needing a central leader or forming a group. Modders could submit their mods to the project, and other modders would use those mods in their mods until it grows to all of Tamriel. This would allow current mods to be used and cut down on some of the aspects that need to be done (re-texturing comes to mind).

I really do hope Bethesda creates something like this because I loved Morrowind and would love to play it with Skyrim's system (although a little tweeked). No offense to the Bethesda designers, but things like the faces and some of the textures are so poorly done. Obviously thousands of modders can come up with a better result than a time-constrained company like Bethesda.

This could become EPIC.

If an experienced modder is willing to spearhead the organization of such a mod, I am willing to contribute.

It seems that expanding into one chunk of Tamriel at a time would be the best approach. Oblivion shouldn't be too hard since the map and textures are already there for the picking (with substantial improvements, of course).

Overall, a reconstruction of Morrowind would be my dream mod. I personally think that was Bethesda's best game to date.

yah i think morrowind would be a good place to start some might say arena because it has all of tamriel in it but thats a lot of land construction right off the bat and apparently all of the landmass for morrwind is already in game so that makes that easier so once all the modeling is done there the modelers can move to another say maybe work on oblivion while the coding for morrwind quests and npc ai and all that gets worked on