Steam Offline

worldofscotty

Whats the deal with Steam offline mode? Does anyone know how to actually use it.

I had problems with virgin going down in my area for the whole day and I couldn't access any of my games. If I click the offline mode button it just pops up an error saying cannot connect.

The solution seems to be to go into offline mode while connected but that's not really a solution in my opinion as part of the benefit of steam is being online and chatting to people as you play.

Is there any way to get steam to start up in offline mode while not connected as I only want offline mode when absolutely can't get online?

As said, steam offline mode only works when you set if offline when online, not when you are already offline, It is a stupid system none favours and at moment is still acts buggy even if you follow their procedure.

As said, steam offline mode only works when you set if offline when online, not when you are already offline, It is a stupid system none favours and at moment is still acts buggy even if you follow their procedure.

Not for everyone. The issue only affects certain Steam users, it seems. My offline mode works flawlessly, as does it on my parents', brother's and a few friends' PCs.

Either way, OP, lots of people have this issue and Valve still hasn't done anything to fix it. When you regain internet connectivity for Steam, lodge a complaint with support. The more people who do this, the more Valve will be pressured to start looking for a solution.

Either way, OP, lots of people have this issue and Valve still hasn't done anything to fix it. When you regain internet connectivity for Steam, lodge a complaint with support. The more people who do this, the more Valve will be pressured to start looking for a solution.

steam has support?

do they know that?

they completely blew off my complaint

heck I actually got better support from Microsoft for an OEM operating system

Edited by Fonger

Eh, I've always gotten an answer from Steam support. Usually a few days later, by which time I've probably solved the issue myself, but they've never ignored my issue. I also find Steam support actually understands what I write.

I hate when you write an elaborate support ticket giving all the details in order to help the consultant find a solution without having to ask 100s of questions first, and then they ask you those questions anyway. Having the exact issue with Gamersgate right now. Bought a game from them last week and upon download it gives me a 416 error, which indicates an issue with their server. I cannot for the life of me get them to understand that the issue is not on my PC, even after trying all their suggestions. I'm tempted to simply lodge a dispute with Paypal and go buy the game off the official site.

I hate when you write an elaborate support ticket giving all the details in order to help the consultant find a solution without having to ask 100s of questions first,

Not as bad as when they send you back a canned generated response using some word frequency detection that is never even close to the problem you describe and ultimately points to their Troubleshooting FAQ that most reasonably intelligent people would have checked before contacting support. When you answer back saying that you would like some living person to actually READ the report, you get another automated message :facepalm:. For some companies it takes a good 3-5 responses from you asking for a person before you actually get one... And not just EA.

In other news, Steam Offline worked well for me when I was playing FONV and was still dubious about Steam and the way it updates stuff. I did have to log in and switch to offline mode to get it working though. It probably has to work like this to verify that an account exists and what is tied to that account.

I did have to log in and switch to offline mode to get it working though. It probably has to work like this to verify that an account exists and what is tied to that account.

You only need to do it once, so that it has data from the login. I tried that after formatting my Netbook the other day. After that, it should work as intended, which is being able to go into offline mode without having previously been online.