Ok to keep Creation Kit open while testing?

I do it all the time. As long as your machine can handle the load, there has never appeared to be any problem for me and I've been doing it for months. It's actually really useful when testing scripts since they are called dynamically in the game; i.e., you don't have to save the CK mod, just compile the script then go back to the windowed game. I picked that tip up from someone a couple of months ago and it's saved me tons of time.

I do it all the time. As long as your machine can handle the load, there has never appeared to be any problem for me and I've been doing it for months. It's actually really useful when testing scripts since they are called dynamically in the game; i.e., you don't have to save the CK mod, just compile the script then go back to the windowed game. I picked that tip up from someone a couple of months ago and it's saved me tons of time.

wait, so you can have the game open, make a change, and go back into the game and it will be there? or do you have to re load the game?

It depends on what you changed. I was specifically talking about changes within a script. Once you compile/save a script, yes, it's there to be called upon even if you left the game paused as long as the mod was calling the script anyway. Scripts files live as files outside of the .esp/.esm for the mod you're working on and just get called on by the mod.

You would need to reload for any changes to the mod structure within the CK (like dialogue or whatever); in some cases I've made large changes that required unchecking the mod, loading the game without it, then checking it back in again.

Did this answer your question?

Edited by blackbirdwanderer

I also do it all the time. Just don't try to make changes to a mod while the game runs.

Only issue I've had is that the CK tend to gobble up RAM, if kept it running... ONe time I saw it take up 17g of memory, but I have 32g of RAM, so it wasn't like it was a an issue for me, but others mileage may vary.

you can do it if you have at least 16Gb ram and enough virtual memory as well.

Just remember to SAVE FIRST because if it crashes or freezes you lose the progress .

A good idea is to reload the saved game first to see most changes .

Some changes that involve objects that have a "persistent " value wont show

unless the save you use is BEFORE the change . Example : moving a door (the door will remain in its old position if you dont use a save prior to moving or placing it. )

Not everything said here is entirely true. You can run the CK and the game at the same time and even make changes in the CK while the game is running but you need to use the developer console commands to make this work properly.

There are two primary console commands among others that you need to use. These are as follows.

Name Arguments

HotLoadPlugin (HLP) string: the plugin name

ReloadScript string: the script name

This was first introduced in a later patch for Skyrim. Check out the developer post about this feature here.

For a full listing of all known console commands check out this website.

you can do it if you have at least 16Gb ram and enough virtual memory as well.

Just remember to SAVE FIRST because if it crashes or freezes you lose the progress .

A good idea is to reload the saved game first to see most changes .

Some changes that involve objects that have a "persistent " value wont show

unless the save you use is BEFORE the change . Example : moving a door (the door will remain in its old position if you dont use a save prior to moving or placing it. )

i'm running Fallout 4 with the creation kit @8GB Ram and its totally fine. 16GB is not necessary.