FNIS not working with MO2 and SE (hkxcmd.exe has stopped working)

EonXII

Been trying for a few hours to get these working together to no avail.
If I launch FNIS through MO2 and select "Update FNIS Behaviour" I get three identical error messages (hkxcmd.exe has stopped working). FNIS says:

FNIS Behavior V7.0 4/15/2017 7:51:44 AM
Skyrim SE: 1.4.2.0 - C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\ (Steam)
Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones) male: Default (99 bones)
Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations"
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix"
Reading FNISBase V7.0 ...
All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
No GENDER directory male
No GENDER directory female
Alternate Animation mods: 0 sets: 0 total groups: 0 added file slots: 0 alternate files: 0
Creature Pack not installed
0 animations for 1 mods successfully included (character)

If I launch it on it's own I receive the following message:

Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim
installation directory. Generating Skyrim behaviors (32 bit)<<
FNIS Behavior V7.0 4/15/2017 7:53:33 AM
Skyrim: ??.??.?? -
Generator: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special
Edition\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS Behavior SE V7 0 Beta\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
Warning: Cannot find Skyrim executable (TESV.exe or SkyrimSE.exe). Assuming Skyrim (32bit).<<
Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones) male: Default (99 bones)
No GENDER directory male
ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx 0_master.hkx

FNIS also crashes when I try and exit.
My FNIS directory is C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS Behavior SE V7 0 Beta\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users
I've been following the Skyrim S.E.P.T.I.M. Guide although I installed FNIS before XP32 and SMIM before Ruins Clutter Overhaul.
I have also been following Gopher's videos on MO.
Antivirus is disabled and I have administrative privileges for FNIS, MO2, and hkxcmd enabled just in case.
Please help!
Edited by EonXII

Do you have more detail with the error messages in MO?

Forget your second example. That's your fault. You cannot run FNIS DIRECTLY from the MO mod folder. Only from the launch tools.

The first example is strange. "hkxcmd.exe has stopped working" is totally unusual. hkxcmd has literally been run Billions of times. Without problems.

Now this can be a bug in MO. Although I then would have heard more often about such issue. More likely is a problem on your system. Sometimes (cheap) AVs have flagged hkxcmd as false positive. Check your AV reports.

Or go to the place where you have found FNIS. In the same folder is hkxcmd.exe. Start that. For a fraction of a second a dos windows should appear and disappear at once.

Fore knows best. But there are a couple things you could explain further. Where do you have Mod Organizer installed? Are you using Mod Organizer 1 or the newly developed Mod Organizer 2? If it is installed have you installed Mod Organizer into the Special Edition/Tools folder?

I reinstalled both Oldrim and SSE but I installed them in 2 distinct folders separate from each other. I have 3 secondary hard drives and I installed Skyrim and Skyrim SSE into 2 different folders on the same drive. I also installed FNIS into the steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/tools folder and a redundant install both from within Mod Organizer 2 (which is also located in the Tools folder) and within the steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/data folder.

I did so because I'm unsure how FNIS will react if installed in Mod Organizer 2. I'm likely wrong but when I ran FNIS I had no troubles if it was installed in the new Tools folder.

Fore knows best. But there are a couple things you could explain further. Where do you have Mod Organizer installed? Are you using Mod Organizer 1 or the newly developed Mod Organizer 2? If it is installed have you installed Mod Organizer into the Special Edition/Tools folder?

I reinstalled both Oldrim and SSE but I installed them in 2 distinct folders separate from each other. I have 3 secondary hard drives and I installed Skyrim and Skyrim SSE into 2 different folders on the same drive. I also installed FNIS into the steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/tools folder and a redundant install both from within Mod Organizer 2 (which is also located in the Tools folder) and within the steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/data folder.

I did so because I'm unsure how FNIS will react if installed in Mod Organizer 2. I'm likely wrong but when I ran FNIS I had no troubles if it was installed in the new Tools folder.

But in his first example everything seems to be ok. So the MO or MO2 (whatever) setup seems to be ok. FNIS IS running, and I assume it is running ok.

The problem is this "hkxcmd.exe has stopped working". If this exe doesn't work, then the behaviors cannot be finalized. As soon as he can get this fixed, I guesss everything will be working.

BUT WAIT: What IS REALLY wrong in your first example (except the error messages)? Except the error.?

If hkxcmd.exe had stopped BEFORE generating the final hkx files, then you had received something like in the second example: ERROR(2012): Could not generate

I see. I'm not certain but I have had issues in the past with windows update but I am not sure if that would be the cause or not. I see there is a file just released for old Skyrim called HKXCmd Powershell UI NMM#83200 - would this provide a tool or workaround for his issues?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/83200/

Thanks Fore.

Edit: I did receive a similar error once before actually. When I installed it incorrectly and ran it from the steamapps/common/Skyrim/Data folder. But I did not receive the HKXCmd error which seems more like a system problem and not the utility itself.

Consequently I installed it away from Program Files (x86) and installed it on a completely separate drive. So far every utility I have used has had no issues. Pardon me please - I for the life of me cannot figure out why the error is popping up.

It seems to not be reading the animations from the Skyrim data directory (if I understand correctly how FNIS runs).

This tool is neither a help, nor could it be integrated into FNIS. It's nothing but a GUI for the SAME command line (DOS) tool hkxcmd.exe that is included in FNIS.

When you run FNIS from the MO mods folder, then maybe you inadvertently do something good. Because when MO is installed outside of "C:\Program Files(x86)", then you also avoid this stupid folder. And maybe another unexplainable case of UAC effect.

There were numerous users recently that had/have problems when installing their stuff in "C:\Program Files(x86)". Especially when using NMM on Windows 10. THerefor I STRONGLY recommend that you relocate all of your Steam, Skyrim, NMM/MO, ... into a custom folder. And thereby avoid UAC.

See the sticky post for (Oldrim) FNIS for details.

Do you have more detail with the error messages in MO?

Forget your second example. That's your fault. You cannot run FNIS DIRECTLY from the MO mod folder. Only from the launch tools.

The first example is strange. "hkxcmd.exe has stopped working" is totally unusual. hkxcmd has literally been run Billions of times. Without problems.

Now this can be a bug in MO. Although I then would have heard more often about such issue. More likely is a problem on your system. Sometimes (cheap) AVs have flagged hkxcmd as false positive. Check your AV reports.

Or go to the place where you have found FNIS. In the same folder is hkxcmd.exe. Start that. For a fraction of a second a dos windows should appear and disappear at once.

So I reinstalled Skyrim and MO2 to check and am still having the issue. Windows Firewall is turned off and so is Bitdefender. When I run hkxcmd.exe on it's own a black DOS box with some text appears and instantly disappears. Are there any log files generated I can check? I don't know additional details you need. FNIS crashes upon exit as well, without asking me to create a shortcut. Not sure if that's relevant at all.

All my Skyrim stuff is under C:\Steam. I am using Mod Organizer 2 which is located in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Mod Organizer. I'll try moving it to the Tools folder and make a couple redundant installs but I'm not really sure how that would affect it.

What are some possible system issues? I am on Windows 7 64bit and have the latest .NET Framework.

EDIT: Moving FNIS to Tools doesn't help. If I just move the entire folder (so FNIS is now at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\FNIS Behavior SE V7 0 Beta\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users) I get the same ERROR(2012) as before. If I extract the contents of GenerateFNIS_for_Users directly to Skyrim's Tools folder I also get ERROR(2012) but with less text:

>>: Generating Skyrim behaviors (32 bit)<<

FNIS Behavior V7.0 4/18/2017 3:27:55 AM
Skyrim: ??.??.?? -
Generator: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
>>: Cannot find Skyrim executable (TESV.exe or SkyrimSE.exe). Assuming Skyrim (32bit).<<
: "GENDER Specific Animations"
: "SKELETON Arm Fix"
male
female
ERROR(2012): : defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx 0_master.hkx

Moving FNIS to If I install FNIS spells and run FNIS I get the same error (hkxcmd.exe crashing) but it says animations successfully included. I thought FNIS spells was optional and should have no effect?

FNIS Behavior V7.0 4/18/2017 3:14:49 AM

Skyrim SE: 1.4.2.0 - C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\ (Steam)
Skeleton(hkx) female: Custom - bones unknown (129 bones) male: Custom - bones unknown (129 bones)
Reading FNISSpells V5.0.1 ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 9 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...
No GENDER directory male
Alternate Animation mods: 0 sets: 0 total groups: 0 added file slots: 0 alternate files: 0
Creature Pack not installed
94 animations for 2 mods successfully included (character)

They seem to work for now? Despite hkxcmd.exe crashing.

Edited by EonXII

They seem to work for now? Despite hkxcmd.exe crashing.

Then be happy and live with it. hkxcmd.exe isn't crashing. MO reports that hkxcmd "stopped working". But apparently AFTER hkxcmd has done it's work.

Maybe hkxcmd returns a wrong return code after being done (which I don't believe), maybe MO/MO2 reacts badly as it does in so many cases related to FNIS execution. The author won't tell you what's the cause.

Be that as it may, it is not an FNIS issue.