CK need steam to work and only available through steam

rabidNode

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

Are you serious? I'm an idiot and/or a pirate because I don't like Steam?

How about this: I live in an area that is, at minimum, 40km out of any city. We don't have access to the internet, not even dial-up. The only internet I have (and how I'm writing this) is at the local library which is in the city 40km away. Naturally, it's filters block ports necessary for Steam to run, therefore I can't run Steam.

Even when I did have internet access I hated Steam. I used it because boycotts do absolutely nothing (not enough people do it for long enough) and so I figured I'd just put up with it to play the games I love. Frankly though, I shouldn't have to, and I know a lot of people who think the same.

To play Steam games (which is pretty much any game these day, and if not, most games require some bullcrap internet activation to install) I have to go out of my way and look for a cracked exe that lets me play the game without Steam. Not all games have these cracks, and not all cracks work. I also can't download patches or tools like the Creation Kit, since they require Steam to download.

And I'm stupid because of this? Hell, go ahead and call me a pirate, I don't care. I have the receipts proving I own the games.

Even when I move next month and have internet access I'll still hate Steam. Yay, I'll be able to use it, but I'd sincerely rather not. There is no such thing as true choice in this industry anymore, you either use Steam or you don't play the game (legally, in any case).

It says on the box "Internet required for activation". Gotta read the stuff you buy. Times are changing, and game companies are going to assume that you have an internet connection that is suitable for this. That's just how it is going to be. :/

(For the record, by idiot I mean those who go "omG STEAM is ADWARE!!!!111", things like that, not you in particular. Sorry if you thought of it that way.)

Edited by Guest

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Steam fanboys. Thanks god there are still good people cracking and removing this s*** so customers who bought games can still own them.

For me Steam is awful, mostly because I cannot control what patch I'm downloading and from where. I have nothing against users that like Steam as a game shop, but only the most lazy and idiotic users can be so blind not to see why it pisses off people who got used to managing their software by themselves.

My only hope is that there will be so many of those damn shops like Steam and Origin, each required for a different game, that even the most blind fanboys will wake up and see that something is going terribly wrong here.

Can anyone please explain...

a free sharing mod tool used to freely share art and creativity is ultimately owned and only available through the monopolistic demographic ad seller

the ck itself is not even a sold item as in none of us actually bought it so there was no agreement made on that end

what is the reasoning behind not being to simply have multiple locations to download it from and not needing steam to run in the background to use it.

more access to ck and ability to mod while offline well is better for modding and gives greater avenue to mods.

I myself have an art computer that does not touch the network and will never touch the internet but I cant create art in skyrim on it sadly nor can I move the files over to the workstation and have it run without being online.

this is freakin odd. I mean the game itself cost money... the tools actually make money for both steam and bethesda if more people have them and are working with them and sharing them.

this whole scenario limits access and forces traffic through one point. well I guess its one way to sell stuff by force... shrug

I am not sure we can get any more anti mod than this at this point. well I take that back when they start leasing the mod tools yah...

To be honest, your art machine can't really do much at all without touching the internet so I don't know what it is you are complaining about. Lord knows how you are able to cope with all buggy software that never gets patched on your PC such as Photoshop etc.

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

Are you serious? I'm an idiot and/or a pirate because I don't like Steam?

How about this: I live in an area that is, at minimum, 40km out of any city. We don't have access to the internet, not even dial-up. The only internet I have (and how I'm writing this) is at the local library which is in the city 40km away. Naturally, it's filters block ports necessary for Steam to run, therefore I can't run Steam.

Even when I did have internet access I hated Steam. I used it because boycotts do absolutely nothing (not enough people do it for long enough) and so I figured I'd just put up with it to play the games I love. Frankly though, I shouldn't have to, and I know a lot of people who think the same.

To play Steam games (which is pretty much any game these day, and if not, most games require some bullcrap internet activation to install) I have to go out of my way and look for a cracked exe that lets me play the game without Steam. Not all games have these cracks, and not all cracks work. I also can't download patches or tools like the Creation Kit, since they require Steam to download.

And I'm stupid because of this? Hell, go ahead and call me a pirate, I don't care. I have the receipts proving I own the games.

Even when I move next month and have internet access I'll still hate Steam. Yay, I'll be able to use it, but I'd sincerely rather not. There is no such thing as true choice in this industry anymore, you either use Steam or you don't play the game (legally, in any case).

Then how do you plan on downloading mods anyway?

You can't unless you get internet access, and since you have no need of mods, and the CK is a one-time download so you can still use it yourself, and you can put Steam in offline mode right now as you type, there's no problem caused by Steam.

I have an idea! Let's all complain about the free modding software! After that, we'll complain about the free uncompressed texture pack and the free mods! We'll finish by complaining about the free online program that offers huge discounts and can easily be set to run offline!

Some of the pirates here are even complaining about their free game. Really?

I never would have guessed that you'd have to suffer a little for breaking the law and stealing from Bethesda.

Edited by Rennn

I have an idea! Let's all complain about the free modding software! After that, we'll complain about the free uncompressed texture pack and the free mods! We'll finish by complaining about the free online program that offers huge discounts and can easily be set to run offline!

Some of the pirates here are even complaining about their free game. Really?

I never would have guessed that you'd have to suffer a little for breaking the law and stealing from Bethesda.

He'll be in the papers soon... demanding a bigger house from the council.

I will pick answer number two and yes, that's my final answer.

Yes that was your final answer. Goodbye

User banned for piracy.

-DrGrimm

Is it only me or was that person banned b/c the mod misunderstood things here? o_O

Didn't he simply say that he thinks the OP is a pirate? Or did I misunderstand anything? :mellow: