CK need steam to work and only available through steam

rabidNode

i love the wondrous cliche response.

there are so many reasons beyond being a pirate or an idiot we do not like or desire steam. not going to really bother posting them all but the gist is quite simple...

modding has been a love of sharing freely. steam has wedged itself in between me and tools and the game.

I can not look at a patch directly before I install it

I dont have control over where my game or the data goes on my computer or what is being done with it

I have multiple computers some of which are mainly workstations not connected to the net and will stay that way

Steam collects my demographics and sells ads which I guess I got lucky to have paid for and then get sold ads to buy more... (brilliant in a way but messed up)

now in order to mod a game with tools which the end result will be a freely given mod I have to login somewhere...

the problem is the free part the whole underlying aspect of why there are so many awesome modders in this community is being obstructed

some of us do indeed care about controlling where files go and what they do on our systems as well as others who dont have net access consistently and then there are others who simply want a streamlined system that do not have excessive processes and services running in the background. all of the above are true for me and it takes me hours of tinkering just to figure out how I can simply play a game that I bought.

tin foil hats, pirates, meh seriously ...

modding is about thinking outside the box not in it!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

I will pick answer number two and yes, that's my final answer.

Yes that was your final answer. Goodbye

User banned for piracy.

-DrGrimm

Is it only me or was that person banned b/c the mod misunderstood things here? o_O

Didn't he simply say that he thinks the OP is a pirate? Or did I misunderstand anything? :mellow:

He simply said that he thinks the OP is a pirate, but he got banned for piracy. I wish I could repeal that myself.

Then I reported a person above because he supports pirates. And he's still not banned (I don't think).

What's going on here????

On topic:

Despite Steam always giving me problems, my CK and 1.4 have been working perfectly. Odd right?

I don't understand how you would have issues with it.

Yeah, that one lost me there.

My interpretation was that by choosing option B the OP admitted that he/she is a pirate, and the mod acted accordingly. Why people do it, much less admit to it when they know they'll be banned, is beyond me.

Except he wasn't the OP?

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

I will pick answer number two and yes, that's my final answer.

Yes that was your final answer. Goodbye

User banned for piracy.

-DrGrimm

Is it only me or was that person banned b/c the mod misunderstood things here? o_O

Didn't he simply say that he thinks the OP is a pirate? Or did I misunderstand anything? :mellow:

Hmm... I think it could be read that way as well... The person making reference to another poster...

That's how it came across to me when I originality read it anyway...

*shrug* I suppose it'll get cleared up in that case?

I have an idea! Let's all complain about the free modding software! After that, we'll complain about the free uncompressed texture pack and the free mods! We'll finish by complaining about the free online program that offers huge discounts and can easily be set to run offline!

Some of the pirates here are even complaining about their free game. Really?

I never would have guessed that you'd have to suffer a little for breaking the law and stealing from Bethesda.

free is a button hosted on a wiki or maybe even the main bethesda website called patch 1.X or Ck 1.X it is not logging into another service and this one albeit with the game I did not sign up for and having a patch forcibly downloaded and not being able to look at its contents before hand or a ck with also the same issues.

people who blindly follow have a very short vision of what it all is leading to.

a

already because of steam we had a delayed ck which caused all kinds of other problems. of course the free sharing community not the steam community hacked into the game code and optimised and even built tools to mod the game with the ck and they did not host them on a website somewhere and restrict access. no they instead gave us the source code with comments and info so then bethesda could do a little better and make the same tweaks.

the whole community relies on that free flow to mod fluidly. Steam is an obstruction tot hat and now with the workshop and its legal documents will further strip mine the free flow.

it is not a conspiracy theory to point out that steam hosts data and funnels traffic to its site to gain more traffic to further gain both ad revenue and sales of games. that is in fact their business model. which in and of itself aside from the morality of it being a quasi form of stealing is brilliant.

my issue is apart from that and the fact that one of the most modded and freely sharing modding communities is going to be negatively affected by steam.

my other issue is I have lost the ability to control my own computer and the data flow without doing research and adding more monitoring tools to my system.

Edited by rabidNode

No point to debate the mod. If the guy wants to he can repeal and clear, what seem to me as an missunderstanding, and get back to posting again.

On to the topic at hand.

I honestly don't see the issue with Steam. So far I haven't had any problems with it. Most functions are very comfortable. I usualy like to manage my data on my own. But really, the "verify integrity of game cache" is a very comfortable tool to use. The community tab is also something I enjoy a lot while playing games.

The point about having another process leeching power just to be able to play a game I can understand. But I cannot relate to it as I have never experienced that problem with Steam.

I also like the global availability to my game library without having to bring around a hundred discs with me, just incase I want to some of thoes games.

To me, all these arguments and hate thowards Steam seem void to me. Except for the Workshop Part. That makes the future of moding very suspect. And I can't understand why anyone would want to automatically update mods. I update mods when I want to and have the time to then edit the mod to be compatible with my own or other downloaded mods. And this claimed "hassle" or "over complication" to install mods is just utterly silly. Really, how hard is it to open an archive, mark the esp, meshes and texture folder and paste it into skyrim/data? I mean, if you know how to start the computer you should know how to do that. In my opinion.

Now I've been typing too much and way too inconcistent so I'll do you all a favour and shut myself up.

Edit: Corrected some typos.

Edited by Lhamaria

Steam isn't the problem here - they didn't make Skyrim and they didn't make the CK.

this is true actually.

the problem initially is that bethesda chose this avenue of drm. i think also it was a business arrangement with revenue later on going to bethesda for the sale of mods. as well since mods uploaded to steam are owned by steam bethesda than can use those modders ideas and creation in their own dlc without being legally accountable if steam indeed allows them access to the rights.

the other problem is the blindness of what the future holds and not being able actually have a dialog about the repercussions of this current trend with skyrim and how it is being packaged and delivered without it devolving into some ludicrous its either x or y.

there are some ways this can possibly go in the future (possibly)

one of which is a lease arrangement to the modding tools

another is that now steam is fully integrated into the launcher and the ck that the mods are auto uploaded (how many people really read the fine print??)

another still is a modder not being able to add his mods elsewhere once they are uploaded to steam which affects the nexus (seriously imagine a long standing member of the nexus who mods uploaded their work and losing their rights then trying to upload their own mod to the nexus but being blocked from doing so because it would be illegal to)

outright negating the possibilities is the true epitome of ignorance because that is the only way you can properly prepare for them by discussing them

The problem is all possibilities start and end with the Copyright holders of the content, not Steam. Steam can only do what the Copyright holders allow them to do.

Last I remember this is proprietary software, this isn't Open Source. They have the right to do with it what they will, just as we have the right to either use or refuse. Pretty sure modders will move to a more conducive game/platform if they try to get too restrictive.