Is FOMM the same as NMM?

gamenode

They both function similar to a certain degree, but the Nexus Mod Manager is generally better as it can install mods with greater ease and you can download from the Nexus via the NMM. Also, the NMM is compatible with all the games, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Skyrim, rather than having individual versions for each game.

They both function similar to a certain degree, but the Nexus Mod Manager is generally better as it can install mods with greater ease and you can download from the Nexus via the NMM. Also, the NMM is compatible with all the games, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Skyrim, rather than having individual versions for each game.

Thank you.

Can I ask another question?

I've downloaded Fallout Wasteland Explorer Mod. It comes in two parts with a hotfix as a 3rd file.'

When using the NMM I install the first part, but when I go to install the 2nd part it asks me if I want to upgrade or install this file normally. If I click no the file installs normally and there are now two files in the esp. list that are ticked.

When I click on the hotfix it asks the same question. If I click yes to upgrade then only the hotfix file .esp is ticked.

The Nexus Mod Manager is still in Beta testing and if you want to be a part of this and report your problems here in the forums, than that is the route for you to go. However, FOMM has been around a lot longer and in my experience, is easier to use and more stable. I had used FOMM and when I saw the NMM come out, I thought it would be easier and so I tried it out. After about a week I uninstalled it and went back to FOMM.

There are still a lot of mods that require FOMM to install properly. So far, the only difference I can see with NMM, is that you can download and install with one mouse click. However, I do not see that as an advantage over FOMM. I would rather download, inspect and than install a mod how and when I choose to. That I the reason I will stick with FOMM until the time it is no longer supported or no longer usable on the Nexus.

Fomm is definitely not easier to use. I tried it and it is far more bureaucratic than NMM.

Nonetheless, I've all but given up trying to play this game again. I can't get out of the character creation part without the game locking up. It never locks up at the same point but it does lock up within a few minutes of starting the game.

Maybe I installed to many mod or maybe I didn't install them right. Maybe there's something wrong with my computer but it is a new system that I bought for Skyrim.

At any rate, I've just spent about 15 hours over the last two days downloading and trying to install mods using FOMM and NMM and I have nothing to show for it.

I've uninstalled and deleted everything. Perhaps in a few days I'll try to reinstall the game, patch it and play for awhile to see if freeze still happens.

I'm too frustrated to keep at it right now.

@gamenode

To help with your problem, load only the Fallout3, with nothing additional. Start the game and if it plays, go until you exit 101, than make a hard save. Then, one by one, add your mods, start the game. If everything plays good, exit and add another mod. Continue doing this until the game crashes. This will tell you what mod is causing the problem. Or, you can download and install B.O.S.S. and have it arrange your load order.

Also, check to make sure your equipment is capable of running Fallout3. Just because it can run Skyrim does not mean it can run Fallout3. Fallout is an older game developed for the equipment and operating systems in general use in 2008. It is very particular about the hardware and installation location. The usual causes for the problem you are having are inadequate graphics card, installation in the program files or an improper load order of the mods.

@gamenode

To help with your problem, load only the Fallout3, with nothing additional. Start the game and if it plays, go until you exit 101, than make a hard save. Then, one by one, add your mods, start the game. If everything plays good, exit and add another mod. Continue doing this until the game crashes. This will tell you what mod is causing the problem. Or, you can download and install B.O.S.S. and have it arrange your load order.

Also, check to make sure your equipment is capable of running Fallout3. Just because it can run Skyrim does not mean it can run Fallout3. Fallout is an older game developed for the equipment and operating systems in general use in 2008. It is very particular about the hardware and installation location. The usual causes for the problem you are having are inadequate graphics card, installation in the program files or an improper load order of the mods.

I did a clean install, patched it, added previously purchase DLC and started a new game. I had a crash before I could even pick a name. Went online and looked for an answer and found a few threads that recommended changing an .ini file. Something about BusethreadAI or something like that. It was recommended to fix problems with dual cores or quad cores. I don't think I have one of those but I tried it anyway and started a new game. I made it to the vault entrance this time so that's pretty good.

Now I guess I start loading mods. Thanks for the help.