Trouble changing .nif vertex colors

dmal

Hi all,

Ok, I'm new at this so bear with me. I've edited a hair mesh (.nif, for skyrim) in 3dsmax by removing some of the vertices on the back and changing the vertex colors*. When I the "export .nif" dialog box popped up, I ticked "vertex colors" because... that seemed like a reasonable thing to do... but doing this seems to create an NiVertexColorProperty under the NiTriShape in NifSkope.

The hair worked in-game (proper color), but it was blocky. The NiVertexColorProperty was preventing me from adding an NiAlphaProperty to apply transparencies. When I tried to add one, it told me "the array is full."

In NifSkope, I tried removing the NiVertexProperty and added an Alpha instead. Then I entered all the shaders and flags for the cropped hair so it matched up with the original hair. It looks right in NifScope, but in-game it only shows distorted patches of (properly colored) hair.

Is this happening because I deleted NiVertexColorProperty?

I'm stumped.

thanks in advance if you have any advice.

-d

*for a bit of context: I'm copying a KS hair mesh into the huntinggrounds hood mesh. KS hairs have vertex colors so I think I need to change them in order to change the hair color in the final hood w/hair mesh.I'm using 3dsMax 2017 with the plugin available on the nexus. Not getting any errors.

edit: worked on the 4th try, literally doing the same thing. Maybe an export issue? Dunno. It's working now.

Edited by dmal

Hi

First you need to export Vertex color and Vertex alpha for most of the Hairs

To do so collapse your modifier stack than apply a Vertex color modifier for the normal color and a second Vertex color modifier for the alpha channel (don't forget to change the channel in the modifier)(by the way for the alpha channel black is invisible)

Do not collapse them and export as usual - Vertex color ticked.

That should work

CL

• 6 years later...
On 4/22/2017 at 12:12 PM, crazylion said:

Hi

First you need to export Vertex color and Vertex alpha for most of the Hairs

To do so collapse your modifier stack than apply a Vertex color modifier for the normal color and a second Vertex color modifier for the alpha channel (don't forget to change the channel in the modifier)(by the way for the alpha channel black is invisible)

Do not collapse them and export as usual - Vertex color ticked.

That should work

CL

6 years later... It saves my day. And probably the next one too 😛 !!!
Thank you for that tip, I was becoming mad, using terrorist Maxscripts functions in order to manipulate the vertex map channels but in the Utility "Map Channel Infos" I had like 3 times my number of mesh vertices as Map Info for vertices colors and 1.5 time for the alpha values...
Then, I did what you explained here, and I also ticked the "color by vertex" feature for both vertex color and alphas, and now my exported .nif is just like my 3ds max mesh, using the same vertex values : Hurrah and thank you very much Gandalf ! (  Well, Crazy Lion )