ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Making NPC's Untargetable in VATS

Hey everyone.

So, I have a pretty distinct memory regarding how to make NPC's immune to being targeted in VATS. I was pretty sure it was as simple as ticking a checkbox on the NPC 'Traits' page but I cannot, for the life of me, remember how to do it or if it was even possible in the first place. I only recall that I felt it was easy and straightforward at some point in the past.

Help me out, please.

Is there a clear and straightforward way to prevent a hostile NPC from being targetable in VATS?

If not, any suggestions on how I might go about it?

Much obliged!

You can give them VATSRestrictedTargetKeyword keyword, but they can still be targeted in VATS. Just can't attack them, it says "invalid target".

I tried to do same thing. Current companion can't be targeted in vats at all, but I learned thats because they have the keyword AND they are set as PlayerTeammate. The moment they are not teammate anymore, you can target them in vats too.. so I don't know how to do that for hostiles..

I think making them ghost or invulnerable might make them "immune" to vats too, but you can't damage them at all :confused:

Thats the invisible magic effect or cloak chameleon, they both make targets untargetable, but also invisible.

Edit: Maybe in race, bodypartdata or armor addon or similiar, I remember that I saw "vats targetable" checkbox but can't find it now.

Edited by vkz89q

Thank you, everyone.

I will poke at it some more.

The VATSRestrictedTargetKeyword implementation sounds like the most straightforward, if not the most ideal.

I also swear I saw a 'VATS Targetable' checkbox once. Maybe we are living in an alternate dimension now, ha ha ha.

I kid.

But yeah, thanks for the helpful responses, everyone! If I figure out a better way, I will post an update to this thread to add to the collective wisdom.

VATS targetable checkbox is in the Destructable area. NPC object, button on the left'ish.

Is Ghost will make all projectiles pass through them (iirc), so that's not the best. Definitely won't highlight though.

Body Part Data is your best bet...again, IIRC.

Edit: Actually, why would the VATSrestrictedtarget not be ideal? You want them to not be highlightable at all, like vkz89q (you couldn't choose harder to remember name? I only had to double check twice. =P ) said as if when they are companions?

Edit: The absolute worst way possible would be to clear their segment data in their nif...but don't do that.

...don't...really. =P

Even then they'd still highlight...would just be 0 percent chance.